Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2024, 11:29   #1

C&C 25 vs C&C 26 for light-duty cruising

Hi, all. Longtime reader, but first post!

We have an opportunity to buy either a C&C 25 (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cc-25/) or a C&C 26 (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cc-26/). We'd adapt to light cruising in both, but I wonder if anyone out there has good reasons to favour one over the other?

C&Cs are generally considered good boats, and both will likely been fine for coastal cruising in the Salish Sea area. I like the extra headroom in the C&C26, but the C&C25 has a notably better Bal./Displ. ratio (44.19) vs. the C&C26 (37.78). I acknowledge that boat safety is about so much more than ratios, but maybe the C&C25 is a slightly more seakindly in a boarder range of conditions.

Anyway, thanks in advance for anyone who has sailed both and forged an opinion either way!
Kimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 15:14   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Re: C&C 25 vs C&C 26 for light-duty cruising

I had a 27, great boat, good friend had a 25 with OB, if the 26 has an inboard I would pass on the 25.

I had the 27 out in some big seas great boat.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 16:35   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I owned a C&C 25 for five years. It was built as a racer-cruiser, so it has a narrower beam, less weight. Still, it had enough room for my wife and two small kids on weekend trips.

The 26 is roomier, heavier, beamier, longer waterline, built more as a pocket cruiser.

The experts at the C&C Photo Album web site always liked the 25 better than the 26, but I think that was because it raced better to its PHRF rating. The 26 is rated slightly faster than the 25, but not really in real life.

Either would be a good choice. The smaller C&Cs were well built. I would pick an outboard due to difficult access issues with inboards.

Under no circumstances should you buy a Vire inboard. Way out of date and nothing but headaches.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 17:49   #4

Much appreciated for the feedback, all! Good to have that firsthand knowledge, for sure.

Good perspectives on the engine, too. The C&C 26 ad reports this about the inboard: "Yanmar 2GM20F freshwater cooled engine. Heat exchanger torn apart and rebuilt in 2022. Filters have have replaced"

I am enticed by the fact that it's freshwater cooled, at least. I can see the ease of the outboard on the C&C25, having owned a Bayfield 25 with a kicker as the only engine, but motoring into chop + cavitation = sad crew and hard on the engine, so I am leaning toward the inboard, as we're just cruising it (no racing).

Since there's no comment on the Bal/Disp ratio, I can assume no one thinks this is an issue either way?

Thanks again!
Old 24-01-2024, 19:15   #5

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

These are light boats, so you're going to get some motion in steep chops and wakes. The 25, with a narrower beam, tends to heel more quickly than the 26 before locking in at 20-25 degrees.

The 25 has a lower capsize ratio than the 26, but I can't imagine you would ever be in the conditions that would make this an issue.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 20:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
These are light boats, so you're going to get some motion in steep chops and wakes. The 25, with a narrower beam, tends to heel more quickly than the 26 before locking in at 20-25 degrees.

The 25 has a lower capsize ratio than the 26, but I can't imagine you would ever be in the conditions that would make this an issue.
Cheers for that. That's my thinking, too. This is a coastal cruiser for us, and so I am leaning toward having a bit more interior room.
Old 26-01-2024, 09:00   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

My thoughts are beyond just the two boats. The inboard gives you many more plusses. You can put a larger alternator on it to charge batteries faster. My Pearson 30 has a Yanmar 3gm30f and a 80 amp alternator. The 2gm20f can use the same alternator I use. You don't have the weight hanging off the stern. It's diesel so no gasoline to deal with, and it's a very simple engine to work on if you need to. It can give you some heat on a cold day too. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Heat...dc9416811&th=1

I have an outboard on my Macgregor 25 ( cast iron swing keel ). It's a 9.9, four stroke, long shaft, electric start at around 104 pounds.

I just like having an inboard if I'm cruising.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 09:52   #8

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

I had the 25 for three seasons, sailied exclusively on Lac-St-Louis.
It was a terrific boat, never let me down, never made me nervous.
Motored 12 NM across the Lac in early November, into 18 kts winds and 3-4 foot short period waves without any problems (9.9 out board two stroke Evinrude).

For occasional and even not so occasional motoring I prefer an outboard.
I can't stand the noise from the diesel on my CS27.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 09:59   #9

Boat: Catalina 42

Yanmar 2GM20F freshwater cooled engine is a great motor if it’s been well-maintained. Easy to work on. If you ever need to replace it you will wish you had bought the outboard!

I’m on my third small Yanmar (not in the same boat!!), and they seem to go forever if you take care of them.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising