Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2007, 12:10   #1

Boat: Sabre 42
Question C&C 34... Centerboard?

Hey all...

So, I am getting much much closer to buying a boat (yay)... and have found one I really think I want to visit. I have traveled to see 4 or 5 specific boats, and checked out other boats in the areas while there. The boat I have my eye on now is a bit different, I am familiar with the C&C's and specifically their 34' model.

The one I am looking at is the centerboard option (which I didn't know they had that option on this model). Does anybody here have any specific knowledge of this design, and its workings. The draft goes from 4' to 6'-11". The broker describes the system as a fiberglass centerboard attached on a stainless steel pin, controled by a self-tailing winch on the cabin top.

The boat is a 1982 model, how well do these systems age? Does these still suffer from the C&C smile? Basically, any advice, and opinions you can share would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 15-01-2007, 13:49   #2

Boat: C&C 27
Mystic,
You may have to check with the C&C groups if you have not already. C&C Photo Album may have the info you need.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 14:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
With C&C's

The biggest concern is the balsa core below the waterline. We once had our heart set on a C&C Landfall 38 and surveyed three. All three had wet cores! One was due to a grounding, one was due to poor installation of through hulls and the other was a complete mystery why it was wet where it was because it was not near the keel or any through hull. It's not a fault, usually, of the builder but in manitenance. A balsa core boat MUST have been well mainained to prevent a wet core..

The centerboard C&C's I'm npt very familiar with but I have sailed on a 34 fin and it was a decent performer...
Old 15-01-2007, 15:46   #4

Boat: C&C 27
One other place to check is the South Shore Yachts.
south shore yachts - sales and service
If you really want to get through to them you have to call.
South Shore bought all of the original C&C records, tooling, etc. They may be able to address specific concerns about your boat.

Acoustic has a good point although not all C&Cs have cored hulls. But even if the 34 does not have a cored hull it still may have a spongy deck.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:11   #5

Boat: Sabre 42
Thanks for the responses... ya, the 34's have a cored hull. I plan on asking a surveyor to check that closely... given the age, could be a problem. I have spent some time on the C&C photo album site... need to spend some more time there. Their forums are not as busy as here, and I was hoping to find someone with some specific experience with this version of the keel.

Anybody out there own, or sail on a C&C 34 with this sort of keel that can help would be awesome.

Thanks again.
Old 21-01-2007, 09:25   #6

Boat: Tayana FD-12
I have a 38 model with balsa core. The only time wet core topic comes up is during purchase and sale surveys. Unless its some substantial area, I wouldn't worry about it. People seem to make big deal out of it where its really not. More important is that you don't have structural damage due to wet core or blisters. But with boats from 70s and 80s, if blisters haven't shown yet, then most likely they will not. Check out David Pascoe survey articles at Yacht Survey Online: David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 22:33   #7

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
We own a C&C 35 MKIII K/CB named Haleakula on the Chesapeake. The centerboard is a great feature and never have had a problem with it or any wet core problems associated with it. It is a great stabilizing feature on winds at the 12 knot range and leads to excellent pointing abilities as well as delaying the reef time for wind,

The boat is tender in large wind and needs to be trimmed with a combination of furled jib first before main. It is a comfortable boat in heavy weather. We have taken her on several trips to Block Island,, Mystic, and Carleston and she performs great in coastal sailing. She has a solid build and great jonery with oversized chainplates and winches. As a racer she is hard to beat in light and moderate winds with even with the PHRF advantage she has on large boats such as 42 Bennes, Hunters and Catalinas. I would definately say she maintains the badge as a racer/ crusier well and is a good value for the money.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 18:21   #8

1982 C&C 34 with the centerboard

Mystic Gringo,

I also own a 1982 C&C 34 with the centerboard for about 8 years. I first of all must say I love my C&C. It is a fantastic boat. In the summer, it is truly our second home. My comments on the Centerboard are mixed. When it works, it works great. Great for getting in and out many places boats with longer fixed boards can’t get into. When it is down the excellent pointing abilities and handling makes a big different. But, when it doesn’t work, it is a real pain. I have had it stuck up in the keel for a season. I have had it stuck down for a season. One season the winch stripped and had to be replaced. But like anything else on the boat, it prone to have issues. Hopefully you are still enjoying your boat!

Koko
bob.617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, c&c 34, centerboard