Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 20:54   #46

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Cal 28 vs Cascade 29 vs Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
I thought the New Horizons 26 built by Ray Greene in the '50s was the first production fiberglass auxillary?

Otherwise- in order to contribute -I say go for the Cal. The flush-decked designs can be modified to have a small raised section over the companionway like this one in FL:
'74 Cal 27' Sailboat
According to SailboatData.com the New Horizons was built starting in 1961 by Ray Greene & Co to an S&S design.
NEW HORIZONS 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

There are a number of raised deck Cals, 20, 24.2, 25, 28 and a single example of the Cal 40. There are a number of other manufactures that did the same, but not that many models. (Columbia 29 Defender, Islander30, Islander24 Bahama, Columbia24 Challenger and arguably the Coronado 25&27)

The raised deck Cal mentioned above is a T/2 (IOR 1/2ton). The bubble top on it is factory original, not a modification. CAL T/2 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:51   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The company changed hands about 2-3 yr ago, moved to Seaside OR, briefly, then up to a small town outside of Astoria,OR.

The Cascade 29 is, to the best of my knowledge, the fiberglass sailboat with the longest production run ever. It was introduced in 1961 and is still available to order.

More worthless trivia is that the Chinook 34 (built by Yacht Constructors, the original name for what is now Cascade Yachts) arguably predates the Triton as the first production fiberglass sailboat. The arguable part is that the original run of Chinooks was a bunch of buddies building several hulls for themselves. Others liked the results and wanted boats too, so a couple of the buddies established a company to fill them.
Well darn! Shows you how out of date I am. I was in a class with one of the owners wife the other day and knew she drove in from Astoria. Never thought that The company moved to the Coast....

As a side note I saw Wade Cornwell at a RCYC function the other day. He makes it down to Rose City often. Also, Hans Geerling is still a member too.

REgards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 10:49   #48

Well I don't think Catalina 28 would be in your price range....
Mattcdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 11:40   #49

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Welcome to the world of sailing!!
As you can probably tell by the responses so far, there are a lot of interesting people and personalities on CF with lots of opinions (mostly valid). Here is my two cents...FWIW.
MANY folks are attracted to sailing... adventure, romance, freedom, etc.
In my experience, TOO many fail to get far enough along in the process of learning, applying knowledge, experiencing all that can go right or (perhaps, more importantly) wrong to realize the dream.

Big road bump... first bad weather experience (especially in small boats with family crew with little or no experience with this sort of thing). Often, the person euphemistically known as the Admiral (read: wife) upon arriving on sweet solid land will declare, in no uncertain terms, that they will NEVER set foot on a boat again!! Double ditto if kids/pets are involved.

So... proceed slowly and thoughtfully and the dreams will become reality.

As for your ??? about specific boats, here is a link to a list of reliable pocket cruisers (71 in total) and a site (Atom) that you will find helpful.
After looking at all of the boats in this list, you will have learned a great deal about what will suit your needs.
Take some classes that include on the water time. Take your time and you are much less likely to encounter a road bump that will derail your plans/dreams.

cheers to all ,

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 12:30   #50

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

duh... forgot the link

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cal 28, cal 29, catalina