Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 19:09   #1

cal 3-30 1974

Here I go again with lots of questions.
If I'm over doing with all the posts and questions then I apologize. What happens till now every time I start looking at some boats I find lots of problems. Only one boat was good but the guy couldn't find the paperwork for the boat. So here is the scope on this boat.
I'm going to look at it tomorrow at 11am

https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d...151660521.html

I also emailed back and forth with the owner here is some of the info he send me about the boat.

this is an email I got from the owner...
This attachment gives all the data on the Cal 3-30. It coincides with the data in the original sales brochure and other paper work. The original sales brochure is with the paper work on the boat as well as the sail plan that came with the boat on a shelf above the stove. As you can see the 3-30 was the last of the 30 foot Cals built. Mine was built in 1974. The original sales brochure is with the paper work on the boat as well as the sail plan that came with the boat. Of the 135 built I am not sure what hull number is. This boat is a little different from the other Cal 3-30s. My information was that it was built specifically to represent the Cal Jenson factory in sailboat races. As such, it has a reenforced mast and metal spreaders. Normally Cals had wooden spreaders. Instead of an Atomic four engine it came with a Graymarine 25 HP Seascout-91 engine. It has provisions for 5 forward halyards. The original name of the boat was Mariah.

Until a few weeks ago the boat was with a yacht broker to sell who did not start the engine as he was supposed to and agreed upon. The engine was completely tuned up with new spark plugs, coil, condenser, points rotor and rotor cap and the carburetor disassembled and cleaned. It was running perfectly. Because the broker did not start up and run the engine there is a problem starting it. Last Friday a mechanic was hired to get the engine started and make any repairs necessary. I’m waiting for him to call me.
The head does work. The bottom paint has been clean regularly and the cleaner reports it in good condition. The radio is about three years old and works perfectly. The chart plotter is about ten years old and works very well but there may be a cable connection plug for the antenna that needs to be replaced.
Most needed repair or maintenance; the cushions need to be recovered or replaced. Replace the instrument panel and gauges in the cockpit was a project I waned to do before I left the state. Most of the pictures are within the past year, particularly the interior pictures. The second underway photo was about three years ago after it came out of the boat yard. The two dockside pictures when the boat was placed with the broker about 6 months ago.
When the boat was in the boat yard in 2016 not only was the bottom painted but the mast was removed, the windex and anchor lights were placed all the standing rigging was replaced, a new roller furler installed and a new main sail. Because my wife got very ill right after that I only sailed the boat 3 or 4 times. Once the engine is running, hopefully within a few days when the mechanic has time, the boat is ready to sail.

I also found the advertisement for the boat at the broker site.
Here is the ad

https://www.seacoastyachts.com/listi...oats-for-sale/

My question is what is ever one opinion about the boat and what is a good price to offer.
what should I be looking for this model? I guess the broker would be there to show the boat. Any questions I should be asking for?
if the price is low enough I don't plan on doing a complete survey just the basic to get into the marina and insurance.
I'm not in a rush to buy a boat so I'm ok to walk away from it if I need to.

Thanks everyone for bearing with me on yet another boat.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 16:49   #2

Re: cal 3-30 1974

how easy its to find parts for grey marine engines ?
Anything from ignition parts to carb rebuild kit.
keel bolts look almost new nice and shiny but there is enough water in the bilge to go above the nuts. Would nice and shiny bolts indicate that they there replaced??
Is it hard to replace the engine down the road 2-4 years from now?
The boat is rough needs paint on the inside, clean the wood and polish. Some electrical work as well. with all the cushions replaced and everything else aired out .
I feel good about doing my own electrical work and engine work. Getting all the 1970s electrical gear and replacing it. Yes some of the stuff is from the 1970s.
Could use top paint as well. Its not as roomy as I expected it to be, after also looking at Cal 31.
No idea the name but the top deck walkway is much wider so inside the boat there is less head room on the side. The broker said I were the only one to look at the boat.
I were thinking of offering 2000 for the boat. Really cant see it worth more then that. If i can get it low enough i figure I would have the extra money to spend on bringing it up to proper shape.
Broker said that the owner sailed it a lot and often but didn't care much for the cosmetics and it shows
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal