Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 09:26   #1

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Cal-30 of 1961 design. Restore?

A boat yard near us has an abandoned Cal-30 Mark 1 which is the 1961 Lapworth design. I recall they were well thought of in their day. I like the classic lines and think it will be a comfy coastal cruiser.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-30

I can get the boat for almost free but does anyone think it is worth the effort to restore it? I would love to hear some opinions about the boat. I am familiar with restoration of older boats.

Norm
Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 23:36   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cal-30 of 1961 design. Restore?

Well it is really up to your tastes and what you plan to do with her I'd say. I happen to fancy those old boats! She's a classic! If it were me and she's in ok shape, I'd do it. I consider many of the classics to be potential bargains. I don't think I'd restore her to Bristol (unless she is in really good shape and you really have a fondness for her that will last years,) but take care of the basics and get her sailing! It all depends on what it's worth to you. Once you get her sailing you may be inspired to do more! If she's free then for a couple thousand you could probably have a nice boat to sail (doing the work yourself) and for a few thousand more a really nice ol' classic. Is the engine running? If not, then getting a brand new engine could be a deal breaker, BUT there are folks on here who have found good ol' diesels, or atomic 4s, and got them running again to install in an old boat and that cuts costs quite a bit. It just depends on how handy you are and if you have some space and tools to work with. My old classic has to have an outboard since it was not built for an inboard and my set-up works great for me. There are many things about the old little classics to love especially if you are looking for a sturdy family coastal cruiser that you can bang around with impunity, and the kids or grand kids can bang around ON without getting yelled at! Got any pictures? Keep us posted and check out the Plastic Classics social group too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 23:44   #3

you may have seen this:
https://www.boats.com/cal-30-classic-plastic-review/
the boats of that day were built pretty solid, like mine. And I have never sailed one of those but I bet you'll be happily surprised at how she sails.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25   #4

Don C L
Many thanks for your notes. Pretty much what I was thinking. The link is helpful. The Atomic 4 was winterized six years ago by a knowledgeable mechanic. I am OK with an A4 at this point. The engine is the last thing to change. First, make the boat sail able.

We own a very nice Aphrodite 101, Averisera, and she sails like a dream. Part of me just wants a new project. Part of me wants a boat in which I can stand and walk around.

I have hopes of hearing from a Cal 30 owner or former owner.

Thanks again, Norm
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

The review mentions that the deck has a plywood core. Fittings that have not been well bedded will have enabled water to get in there, leading to myriad problems, especially in a boat that old. Plywood allows water to migrate all over the place. Find out beforehand so you know what you're getting into!
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:27   #6

Boat: ALBERG 30

I got an Alberg 30 much the same way, 14 years ago, loved almost every minute of making her seaworthy again, took one year. The reward was definitely worth the investment, she has been a great lady and I have spent many all nighters just she and me. I say if you have the time, will take lots of it!! Money, will take lots of it!!!! and A supporting family, an absolute MUST, you will need that, THEN GO FOR IT. Don't look back full steam ahead, everybody that loves the sea should do it at least ONCE.
JUNKFLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49   #7

Boat: Niagara 31

I have a Niagara 31 that I got pretty much the same way. It has a solid hull, deck could use a bit of work but good enough for now. The engine is tired but runs well. I am working slowly to make her beautiful again, I would do it if I were you.
Restlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03   #8

Sometimes a free boat is the most expensive one, just keep that in mind.
Details matter:
-are there some good sails? Sails can be expensive as buying a whole different boat in 30 ft length. You might find used ones that work, you might not.
-tanks, underfloor tanks often go bad. Know what they are.
-engine? you can mount an outboard on a bracket I suppose.
- That is a very old boat, expect the unexpected, rudder, shaft, seacock issues etc.

Is it worth rebuilding? probably not. Can you make a useable boat out of it? probably/maybe.

I would say you will spend at least $5k making it a boat adding used stuff (based on knowing little about it) and could easily spend $15k.

During the recent recession I could have bought a 31 footer with brand new Yanmar 3 cyl diesel, new basic sails, new rigging, new furler, good dodger etc for $6k. Granted, that was a bargain for sure, (the old fella's wife had gotten terminal cancer and he just wanted it gone). But there are bargains out there for boats that are ready to use.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10   #9

Quote: "... does anyone think it is worth the effort to restore it?"

Depends on what you mean by "restore". Restore to "as new" condition? The answer to that would be a definite "NO!". Restore to "useable" condition? The answer to that would be an equally resounding "YES!".

Those old things sail beautifully, even when there is water in the deck core :-) Spend money and effort only on what is essential to make/keep her safe and compliant with requirements. Shorten canvas earlier than you would when racing hell-for-leather.

Just common sense really.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Go for it !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 14:41   #11

I've got the same plywood core deck. Even if I had water get in there I wouldn't worry about it much, believe it or not. It will not collapse and it doesn't affect how she sails. I think I have a shot of the deck thickness in my albums somewhere, pretty thick. Sometimes there will be leakage around the chainplates and they may be a bit corroded and/or some rot there, but that can be pretty easily remedied on the old boats, even if you switch from chainplates on the bulkheads to those bolting onto the cabin trunk or hull itself. If your tabbing is like mine, and I suspect it is, it is still secure and strong on the bulkheads. I believe your rig is similar to mine, with single lowers to a chainplate on the bulkhead.I wouldn't be surprised if the chainplates and bulkheads are still fine though. Mine are. I'm really curious to see some shots of her. A lot roomier than mine! Longer waterline too, but I'll still race you!

But I won't race your Aphrodite.... I'd hate to embarrass you
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-12-2018, 05:30   #12

In my humble opinion a restoration would be well worth it if done fully. Universal makes a diesel that will fit into the engine area that an atomic 4 took up quite easily. I owned a 1969 (?) Cal 2/30 on the Chesapeake in the 1980's and raced and cruised her successfully until I was talked into buying a larger race boat. I miss old Resolute; she was sturdy, safe, and nimble enough on the race course. Good glass work, just check for soft spots and the tabbings and repair if needed.
dhuff1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:52   #13

Gentlemen:
Thanks for all the input. I am certainly on board with the suggestions. The plywood deck is still my major worry. I just can't imagine undertaking such a project at this time. If the decks are OK, I can see the project being fun.

A few years ago, I slipped aboard for a look-see and came back with these pics. The project looks viable but am I still that crazy? Images in a sailing-oriented blog I use to collect sailing stuff.

https://appliedsailing.blogspot.com/2017/02/

Our background? I am a semi-retired yacht captain of 20 years. I have fixed a lot of boats. In Jan-May 2015 we built a 15 ft Skerry from a Chesapeake Light Craft kit. During the Fall of 2016 we refitted our Aphrodite. Spring of 2017 we did a refit to a Yankee 30. They were really fun projects. My wife and I worked side by side and didn't argue. She's a sailor and very craft oriented.

Some words and pics you'll find at Appliedsailing and Averisera by searching on the appropriate dates.

The Cal looks like an interesting enough boat to own to justify the investment of time and treasure. (Time to ask the MRS what she thinks.)

I took a look at the Tom Dove web site , Boat Comparisons and the Cal looks about the same as a Tartan 30/Yankee 30 and a bit faster than the Columbia 29. I am guessing a PHRF of around 200? Maybe a tick lower. Probably acceptably comfortable given her size.

Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

More to follow... and thanks again.
Norm
Old 10-12-2018, 06:47   #14

Boat: Cal 2-30

I am a Cal lover so would go for it. Of course I am partial to the 2-30 which is what I sail. I really like spaciousness of the v-berths on the Cals. The heads not so much
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44   #15

I have had some good experience with Cal, too. I chartered a Cal 34 Mk 1 in 1974 for a month. Loved it.

Do you see any Cal 30s around you? If so, how are they holding up and are they sought after?

Tags
cal