Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2023, 19:04   #1

Cal 39 MKII

I think I have found my dream boat... however... I am unsure if it's all that suitable for solo sailing. I am sure there are a few opinions about single-handing a Cal 39 (mk2)?
jerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 05:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Cal 39 MKII

Great well balanced boat! Auto pilot? Are halyards all at mast? If they are, sure with a little planning and money they could be led to cockpit to make easier single handling.
Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 08:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ditto to NYSail. Handling a boat solo is much more about setting her up for that task than the boat herself. Halyards and sheets at the cockpit, self tailing winches, jacklines to keep you attached to the boat if you have to go forward, roller reefing for both sails, autopilot, nav and radio at the binnacle, and a way to drop/weigh the anchor. Think through all the things you would like to do while securely tied to the cockpit.
Old 23-09-2023, 09:04   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Those are nice! Cal made a bunch of nice boats. For a windvane self-steering you'll need to mount it a little farther aft since the rudder extends beyond the transom a bit. (Or maybe try a trim tab?) I have my lines led aft but I go up to the mast anyway for reefing so I could see not needing to run the main halyard aft.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 09:39   #5

Boat: Adams 45

I've been sailing a 45' sloop alone for 5 years now. I don't see a need to run halyards to the cockpit. I go to the mast for raising/reefing/lowering the main. I go forward to run the anchor windlass. In addition to having a robust, reliable autopilot, I've found an autopilot remote control indispensable, at least in any crowded waters, or in Maine where lobster pots are too numerous. I can adjust course while working forward.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 10:47   #6

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerski View Post
I think I have found my dream boat... however... I am unsure if it's all that suitable for solo sailing. I am sure there are a few opinions about single-handing a Cal 39 (mk2)?

I owned a 1979MKII and by far it was the family favorite. I single handle her always. Of course having a Genoa furler helps to make things simple. The smooth velvet transmission gave me issues, rebuilding the Perkins 4-108 was not easy but in all fairness, taking the engine out of the boat was super easy and accesible, loved the two door head for privacy. The spade rudder made it responsive.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal