Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 13:52   #16

Re: Caliber 40 LRC vs Valiant 42

IIRC, the Calibers had canted side decks. Is that the case? I remember being on one years ago and thought that design was dangerous at anchor, and who spends any time going forward when sailing if one doesn't have to? (i.e., the reason for the canted decks was the high side was flat when heeled, but the lee side then was a bloody cliff!!!)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 13:54   #17

I had a customer with a caliber LRC, can't remember the length, around 40ft. I hated the bitch. The boat that is.
Besides the fact that we didn't get along there was two major design flaws which ring alarm bells for me.

1 The fuel tank was built in, It was AL, it was under the galley and it failed. Massive, and I mean massive work was required to replace it

2 The steering cables crossed in the pedestal. This was due to the fact no room was available to run through sheaves. So every time the wheel turned the cables rubbed. Sooner or later that LRC was going to have steering cable failure. Again and again.

I would certainly take those two points under consideration.

Can't comment on the valiant.

This post is for the OP, not interested in argueng or dealing with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 14:05   #18

Boat: Phantom 32

Just a comment on canoe stern's. My current boat has one and I agree with all the pro s and cons above. Additionally a major downside is the lack of bouyantcy at the stern leading to rolling. Major advantage is that she is more efficient. Slips through the water without dragging. a ton of so behind. Amazing diesel efficiency. Overall I would never have another canoe stern boat, I feel the disadvantages out weigh the benefits, however the dozens of Swanson 42 circumnavigations do make a statement, however their fat bums probably helped.
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 18:27   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

OK first post. Hopefully I won't offend anyone right away.

I spent a year looking in this category. Caliber 40, Valiant 40/42, Passport 40, Tayana 42, all the normal suspects. Got on all of them which is why it took over a year.

Liked the passport layout but the 2 I looked at to buy had the normal passport issues, one with the weak knees (they modified Perry's design and moved bulkheads so needed knees that they didn't execute well) and one with the floor buckling where they cast iron scrap under the nav station that swelled with corrosion. Both had trashed quadrant brackets (steel? really?)

Tayana was really nice until I learned they had encapsulated steel ballasts (why?) and black iron tankage buried and expensive to replace. Good price though and many around CC and AC.

Caliber was OK but I agree with the comments on oversized and buried tankage, ridiculous nav station size/location, and smallish pullman berth. Also didn't like the deck layout. Sloped side decks with chainplates and stays right in the middle of the path. And finally, kind of generic sailboat look. Nothing special about its looks.

I visited a somewhat loved and used Valiant 40 and could see the attraction but there a few issues and too much to do after it had been around the globe 3 times.

Then it happened. Got on a Valiant 42. Angels sang. I'm a sucker for the look and find that stern the sexiest rear end on any boat. Canoe stern in name only. Plenty of width and volume there. Just no swim step. Not important to me as I wanted a Monitor anyway and the Valiant stern accepts one perfectly. I find alongside dingy access superior anyway. Stern dinghy boarding sucks in anything other than dead flat. Loved the feel of the deep cockpit and appreciate the high bridgedeck. Amazing center entry queen layout.

Build quality so much better than other boats above. Top-notch hardware everywhere. Well labelled and perfectly ABYC compliant wiring. Similar plumbing. Excellent engine room and access to engine and generator. Well thought out storage. Lead keel 17 bolts. Crazy beefy mast step. Best stainless work and welding I've seen on any boat. Hard dodger. new rod rigging. Everything I opened and inspected got a "wow, nice". I could go on and on. Every tank removable relatively easily. Tankage is somewhat light at 90 fuel 100 water but it had a factory installed water maker in a specifically engineered place in the engine room.

Bought it. Paid a premium to the other boats listed. Did have a brand new Yanmar though.

All great boats discussed above. The Valiant just talks to me.

PM me if you want more opinion.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 19:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
OK first post. Hopefully I won't offend anyone right away.

I spent a year looking in this category. Caliber 40, Valiant 40/42, Passport 40, Tayana 42, all the normal suspects. Got on all of them which is why it took over a year.

Liked the passport layout but the 2 I looked at to buy had the normal passport issues, one with the weak knees (they modified Perry's design and moved bulkheads so needed knees that they didn't execute well) and one with the floor buckling where they cast iron scrap under the nav station that swelled with corrosion. Both had trashed quadrant brackets (steel? really?)

Tayana was really nice until I learned they had encapsulated steel ballasts (why?) and black iron tankage buried and expensive to replace. Good price though and many around CC and AC.

Caliber was OK but I agree with the comments on oversized and buried tankage, ridiculous nav station size/location, and smallish pullman berth. Also didn't like the deck layout. Sloped side decks with chainplates and stays right in the middle of the path. And finally, kind of generic sailboat look. Nothing special about its looks.

I visited a somewhat loved and used Valiant 40 and could see the attraction but there a few issues and too much to do after it had been around the globe 3 times.

Then it happened. Got on a Valiant 42. Angels sang. I'm a sucker for the look and find that stern the sexiest rear end on any boat. Canoe stern in name only. Plenty of width and volume there. Just no swim step. Not important to me as I wanted a Monitor anyway and the Valiant stern accepts one perfectly. I find alongside dingy access superior anyway. Stern dinghy boarding sucks in anything other than dead flat. Loved the feel of the deep cockpit and appreciate the high bridgedeck. Amazing center entry queen layout.

Build quality so much better than other boats above. Top-notch hardware everywhere. Well labelled and perfectly ABYC compliant wiring. Similar plumbing. Excellent engine room and access to engine and generator. Well thought out storage. Lead keel 17 bolts. Crazy beefy mast step. Best stainless work and welding I've seen on any boat. Hard dodger. new rod rigging. Everything I opened and inspected got a "wow, nice". I could go on and on. Every tank removable relatively easily. Tankage is somewhat light at 90 fuel 100 water but it had a factory installed water maker in a specifically engineered place in the engine room.

Bought it. Paid a premium to the other boats listed. Did have a brand new Yanmar though.

All great boats discussed above. The Valiant just talks to me.

PM me if you want more opinion.
You not supposed to have an opinion on a lady you slept with....just slightly bias wouldn’t you say?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal