Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 20:26   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have a couple of boats that customes are trying to sell. They aren't trying too hard. One is a VERY nice Ericson 27 the other is a 35(?) foot Ericson....has a lot of sails and needs some TLC. Both are in Baltimore. $40K would go a long way to take care of the bigger one....IF you hire the right mechanic/rigger to get it set up for you
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 20:31   #17

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Hi Paul, I knew it was just a matter of time before you came along and gave me a reality check. Don't get me wrong, I always like reading your posts and have learned many many things from the ones on my threads and others, but I usually feel like I just got scolded by the teacher. (thats ok, I need it)
I guess I wasn't really clear in my above posts. I have only a few requirements. Most of all I just want a good solid dry boat in good condition. Maybe like something that you might buy if you were looking for a $40k boat.

Rather than someone telling me things I want, I believe I'm looking for someone with experience to tell me the things I don't want. Features that seem desirable until you get out there.
Here is a good example. Last week I went up to deltaville to look at 3 boats I saw online. a 32 vision was the top pick before the trip. It was raining lightly (drissling actually) when I got there. Well, it seemed like it was raining inside the boat. Those nice big tinted windows and everywhere really, leaks dripping. So now, boats with those kind of windows are off my list. I'm sure you allready knew they leaked because you have lots of experience. Those are the kind of pitfalls I'm trying to avoid. As long as I don't buy something that starts falling apart right away or leaking, I'll adapt and get used to the small features.
On another note, part of your post sounded like you were saying learn more your not ready. Well, I've read so much on the internet in the past year that I could be developing a brain tumor from looking at this screen and I'm certainly developing back problems sitting in front of it. If I'm not ready yet, its not going to happen. Whats that saying go small, go simple, go now? The time is now. I'll learn the rest by OJT. I just need a solid platform to start from.
When I was running my business a couple years ago, I hired an experienced professional to do my taxes so I didn't waste money or get burned doing something that I am not experienced with. I don't see this as being very different.
I do appreciate you taking the time to write that long post for me and I hope this long post clears some stuff up.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 20:52   #18
Eternal Member

What you don't want is a gadget filled boat.

A big pitfall that I see is that people tend to over think....over research.

Remember this.....EVERY boat review you read is trying to sell you a boat.

Every reviewer has his or her own opinions as to what is good or bad (in their view).

Finally, and I may be wrong and if so I apologize, there are a pontential sailors who develop a certain type of "paralysis". They want to sail, but there is an inherent fear
of making that commitment. The best way to combat that is to make a reasonable list. Three Columns

THINGS BOAT MUST HAVE

THINGS BOAT MUST NOT HAVE

THINGS I CAN LIVE WITH (less head room, manual head, no air conditioning etc.

In closing...if you have a mechanic you trust....they may know of boats that are available.....
Old 12-05-2008, 21:23   #19

Chief, thanks for the reply. On your first post, 27 is too small and as for the 35, thats the right size but the term TLC scares me because I think it stands for To Lose Cash. Good advice on your second post. I don't see me needing lots of gadgets. Air would be nice, but if I find a great boat without it, thats OK too. Headroom is on the must have list.
Old 12-05-2008, 21:33   #20

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Never love anything that cannot love you back...

My boat is for sale for the right money so I am not too obsessed with it.

(Susan is rolling her eyes and says "Yeah Right")
Well said CSY!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 00:01   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Here are some things my next boat won't have..

1. A table that folds up from the compression post and takes up the aisle. I hate walking around the table - gotta have a galley table on the side.

2. Lack of access to the engine room - Ours is pretty good and it has to stay that way. I worked on a boat recently that was completely miserable in terms of access.

3. Over gadgetted - Chief engineer is right - if it's not getting used frequently on the boat it is probably just maintenance cost.

4. Small side decks - This is a tough one. Our boat has very wide side decks. I sailed a Catlina this summer that had tiny side decks and I found myself fouling on the stays as I was trying to get by. This one is a compromise.

Social Commentary - I agree with Paul in that $40k won't by you a bot that can take you "anywhere" unless you seriously compromise on what it is. I have limited experience in cruising boats but for a single guy you might look at the Westsail 32.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 14:57   #22

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I wouldn't dream of letting anyone else make one of the most importnat choices of my life for me. The thing is, all sailboats are essentially the same - floaty things with a stick (or two, or 3) and some rags. But every sailboat is loved by someone. I wander around marinas and boggle/laugh/cry at some of the ugly monstrosities, but remind myself that they are all, invariably, someone's pride and joy.

The boat that you buy must be right for you, it must feel right, you must feel an affinity for it. You wouldn't ask somebody to choose your wife for you (although it does happen in some cultures, I'll grant), so why would you let someone else make a much more important choice?!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 15:16   #23
cruiser

Aquaholic: I've PM'd you about this, but based on your message, it doesn't look like you have discovered the private messages inbox. I want to confirm if you have received the message.

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 15:46   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The boat that you buy must be right for you, it must feel right, you must feel an affinity for it.
It's from here that you start.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:23   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's from here that you start.
It's unconventional, but I went the opposite route.

I narrowed the boats down in my last purchase based on pure logic with no emotional involvement. I passed by many beautiful boats, but ultimately ended up with a perfect boat that fits my needs/wants/desires.

I only opened up to her emotionally after the purchase was made.

I would disagree with those who said to do this from the heart. That's how you end up with a 70' wooden schooner that's all rotted out, but boy is she pretty!!

IMO, cold hard logic will make you the the most happy in the end (with the correct boat for your needs/wants/desires/plans).

Hiring a buyer's agent could be a great way to keep your emotional distance so you don't "fall in love" during the purchase process, blowing the deal, paying too much, or buying junk.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:32   #26
Eternal Member

TLC means that it needs to be cleaned up (Tender Loving Care)

Maybe new upholstery, compounding/waxing.

I feel that you are an astute enough searcher to know when a boat is a real sinkhole...plus that is what YOUR surveyor is for.

G'luck....keep us posted.
Old 13-05-2008, 19:11   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Kissing frogs...

In the fairytale the princess only had to kiss one frog.

If you want to find your special boat you may have to kiss many, many frogs.

If you employ someone to kiss frogs for you they might end up marrying the beautiful princess instead of you.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 19:30   #28

I wasn't exactly planning to have someone pick a boat for me. I was thinking they would pick 10-20 boats for me and say 'these are all great, you can't go wrong with any of them. Which ones do YOU like?' I guess rather than an agent I need a consultant. I'm not even sure I need that. I might just pick a boat I like and get it surveyed. If he tells me if it's a junker, I wont buy it.

How about a seidelmann? They seem awfuly reasonable. Are they junkers? or just an undervalued good boat?

Tell you what, I've got a greeat idea for a little exercise that everyone will be sure to love. Pick a boat that you feel compares to these cars. And I'll even try it first!

Ford--Hunter
Hummer--CSY
Ferrari--Dufour
Corvette--Sabre
Rolls Royce--Gozzard
Green 1978 Chrysler Grand Marquis-- What I'll probably end up with.
Old 13-05-2008, 19:31   #29

Boracay, thats hillarious! Point taken.
Old 13-05-2008, 19:35   #30

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
It's unconventional, but I went the opposite route.

I narrowed the boats down in my last purchase based on pure logic with no emotional involvement. I passed by many beautiful boats, but ultimately ended up with a perfect boat that fits my needs/wants/desires.

I only opened up to her emotionally after the purchase was made.

I would disagree with those who said to do this from the heart. That's how you end up with a 70' wooden schooner that's all rotted out, but boy is she pretty!!

IMO, cold hard logic will make you the the most happy in the end (with the correct boat for your needs/wants/desires/plans).

Hiring a buyer's agent could be a great way to keep your emotional distance so you don't "fall in love" during the purchase process, blowing the deal, paying too much, or buying junk.
I wasn't suggesting that you purchase entirely from the heart, but that your heart should definitely be involved. I mean' if you were going to purchase a brand new car in the $75,000 to $100,000 range, you are going to get a good car irregardless, no? But which of these good cars is right for you is going to be a personal and emotional choice.

Obviously, one has to make some tough desicions as to size / material / rig / number of hulls, age, design etc. But, once you have narowwed that down to a balpark, then your heart should, I think, get involved.

For me, I narrowed it down to a price-range (approx $US50k - 60k), length (36-42'), material (fiberglass) and then started looking at boats.... I looked at a lot before I found one that just felt right... and thats the one I bought
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote