Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 07:22   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Can I Use a Single Mast Winch

I moved up in boat size to a boat that has mast winches. One of them is for wire halyards that are no longer wire. I was considering replacing that winch, but noticed a video on Youtube of the same boat that had a single winch on the port side with rope clutches. Can a person use a single winch for staysail, mainsail, and spinnaker halyards?
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:12   #2

Re: Can I Use a Single Mast Winch

I'd say the most interesting question is how the reefing in the mainsail works. On my boat, even with clutches, it would be a real pain in butt if I the reefing-line and the main halyard shared a winch.

For the spinnaker / topping lift a good set of clutches should allow you to work with one winch. Staysail / main etc shouldn't be a problem at all if they shared only one winch.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:05   #3

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
I'd say the most interesting question is how the reefing in the mainsail works. On my boat, even with clutches, it would be a real pain in butt if I the reefing-line and the main halyard shared a winch.

For the spinnaker / topping lift a good set of clutches should allow you to work with one winch. Staysail / main etc shouldn't be a problem at all if they shared only one winch.

I have a roller boom. I don't plan on using that. There is a cleat and block on the mast for what looks like a single reef. It is a ketch, so I imagine there is one reef and then the main is dropped. I will have to figure out my reefing system.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 15:56   #4

There is no reason you can not do what you suggest, the question is SHOULD you.

Halyard tension is a rather important sail shape control. It is often ignored, but that doesn't make it less important. The ability of a boat to power upwind in light air and point high in a stronger breeze are controlled by halyard tension.

Getting halyard tensions correct and changing them as needed on different points of sail and in different wind strengths will be a significant PITA if you are shuffling lines off of one winch all the time.

If you do decide to go this way, and you have a roller furling head sail, Antal makes a halyard tensioner that is easy and cheaper than a rope clutch, and has the added benefit you don't have miles of line stored at the mast.

halyard systems-antal
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:30   #5

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Those that bring their lines back to the cockpit routinely use one winch for multiple halyards.
No reason why you can’t at the mast, however it all depends on how much “winch swapping” you want to do at 3am in the morning when it’s cold, raining and a big sea.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, single, winch