Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 11:58   #106
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Can project boats be worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander53 View Post
When I was 20 I went out and bought the biggest cheapest boat I could find. It needed a new engine, rudder, tanks, the deck had major issues. But the mast and rigging were fairly new and in good shape. The boat had been for sale for almost 3 years and eventually the owner accepted my offer of 1/4 of the original asking price.

Fast forward ten years , it was the best decision I could have made . But over the last ten years I have literally spent every dollar I have made on the boat. I have lived on the boat full time , and really done nothing with my life but work on my boat.

I estimate I've spent over $150k plus all my labor. I doubt the boat would ever be worth even half of that. So a project boat being worth it? I still think so. The skills I have learned a long the way , now make me a decent living anywhere i go. . I have always had a roof over my head , I know EVERYTHING about my boat, and I now trust my boat with my life.

If I would have waited until I saved enough money to buy a "turn key" boat, well I doubt I would have ever bought one.
I think many would prefer to do something more then “ done nothing with my life but work on my boat “
Old 04-09-2022, 13:15   #107

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think many would prefer to do something more then “ done nothing with my life but work on my boat “
Some will, some won't. Who are we to judge...
Old 05-09-2022, 03:58   #108

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

IVe met a lot of judges few have not impressed me. They are extra ordinary people. I have been told I should be on the bench but old age at something really doesn’t qualify you.
I think every personality every personal journey made is neither below or above my own experiences.
Hobbies become infatuations. It’s pretty healthy I think. I have a 6’2” 2 year old TRex being assembled in my home office. The rare client I tell them he’s my bill collector.
I have a 1938 Harley knucklehead made for Canadian Army. I found it new in a crate. Restored it to a 61CU Street bike which never existed. It fired right up and it was love. We loose sight in these projects. If accountants ran the world there wouldn’t be folks restoring old things.
Heck I love the way a trucker cleans their trucks and a carpenter carries their estwing like an arm extension.
Go build a boat and take all the old boat stuff we have in lockers and put it to use. Have fun you’re as important as the other guy
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:22   #109
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Your point is valid , but the key is to decide your hobby , is it boat building or boat usage , I know two guys who clearly love hobby building projects. They both are not into sailing.

It’s when one has the wrong hobby the problem starts

Tags
boat, project