Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2020, 10:29   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can someone finally tell me what draft I have?

Where do I begin?? The photo was from March of this year and you have had this 2011 boat since when? The name on the bow is "Anywhere" which means you can sail pretty much anywhere there is water....except when there is less than 7' of water. And if there is less than 7', you will have a high degree of confirmation---as if the photo or a tape measure when the photo was taken were not sufficient for confirmation. Tide may be another thing for you to consider and measure when going...anywhere. Now, do you know your air draft or will you wait to measure that against a bridge? By the way, have you ever bought a large piece of furniture?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:44   #47

Boat: Leopard 40
Talking Re: Can someone finally tell me what draft I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Where do I begin?? The photo was from March of this year and you have had this 2011 boat since when? The name on the bow is "Anywhere" which means you can sail pretty much anywhere there is water....except when there is less than 7' of water. And if there is less than 7', you will have a high degree of confirmation---as if the photo or a tape measure when the photo was taken were not sufficient for confirmation. Tide may be another thing for you to consider and measure when going...anywhere. Now, do you know your air draft or will you wait to measure that against a bridge? By the way, have you ever bought a large piece of furniture?

aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:19   #48

Boat: Express 30

How do you buy a boat without knowing what the specs are? If I were shopping I would want the deep draft and wouldn't want a shoal version. So I would look for that.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 16:19   #49

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

But yeah... it's tough to get a straight, truthful reading.
Oh come on. Next time you hang the boat, put the hook of a tape measure at the waterline, and use the tape as a plumb bob, with the case just touching the ground. (Add the case thickness to the measurement.) Do this on both sides of the boat. Average the measurements.

Then, without putting your hands under the keel, measure its height above
ground, and subtract that from the average.

If this takes more than two minutes after you find a step ladder, you are doing something wrong.

But don't bother with any of that. Your boat draws 7'. (The stuff you will sail over is no where near flat enough to make an inch or two one way or the other significant.) The actual depth changes with with fresh water vs salt water, and more obviously with load. More useful is to run the boat aground gently, and read your depth meter, and calibrate it in some way that makes sense to you (typically, you can make it read 7' or 0'). Lead lines can be handy for such shenanigan's, because charted sandbar depths are rarely correct.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 16:33   #50

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Another proof that English system of measurement is more practical. My depth sounder reads in tenths of a foot, not tenths of a meter - so I get three times the precision in my readings compared to you.

We spent a good hour finding our way over a mud bottom into the lagoon in Placencia, Belize. Very shallow for a very long way, but that's where the marinas are. Finally got through the shallow part with about 0.3 feet to spare under the keel and glad we were reading in feet not meters. Also glad for my shoal draft of only 5'6" on our 46' boat.

I know what you mean... 0.3 of a foot is so much more than 0.1 of a metre.
But...
4 inches does not seem as as deep as 10 centimetres
away again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 17:27   #51

Here's how you do it:

Next time the boat is on the hard, get your sextant out. (You do have one, right?) Measure off some distance to the boat - say 30 feet - and stand there. Check your index error by lining up the waterline in both the direct and reflected view and note the value. Now sight the bottom of the keel in the direct view and bring the waterline into alignment in the reflected view. Note the reading and add or subtract the index error as required. Take the tangent of the reading and multiply that by the distance off and you have your draft.

So, for example, if you are 30 feet from the boat and you measure 13°08.0' (corrected for index error):

tan(13°08.0') ≈ 2.333

2.333 · 30 = 6.99 ≈ 7 foot draft.

Simple!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:10   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I have a 2011 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 and to this day I still don't know what draft I have...

According to Sailboat Data:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/su...y-409-jeanneau

My draft is:
Draft (max): 6.89 ft / 2.10 m
OR...
Shoal draft: 1.55m/5.09'

Marina friends tell me that there's no way that my draft is almost 7 feet... but, I also don't think it's 5 feet. See photo attached...

What say ye?

Attachment 226228
Deep keel based on the height of the man washing the bottom. Simple.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:42   #53

Boat: S&S 40

While the boat is out of the water take a tape measure and measure the draught.
Running aground with a fin keel is nof something I would be looking forward to.
Surely it's not rocket science?
Dont worry what the glossy brochures say, the same model might have different keel configuration options .
Like deep draught or shallow draught or anything in between.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 20:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post

tan(13°08.0') ≈ 2.333

That should be 0.233, not 2.333. That's what I get for using a slide rule.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 14:56   #55

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Here's how you do it:

Next time the boat is on the hard, get your sextant out. (You do have one, right?) Measure off some distance to the boat - say 30 feet - and stand there. Check your index error by lining up the waterline in both the direct and reflected view and note the value. Now sight the bottom of the keel in the direct view and bring the waterline into alignment in the reflected view. Note the reading and add or subtract the index error as required. Take the tangent of the reading and multiply that by the distance off and you have your draft.

So, for example, if you are 30 feet from the boat and you measure 13°08.0' (corrected for index error):

tan(13°08.0') ≈ 2.333

Simple!
Good suggestion. I suspect there are apps that can be loaded onto a phone to accomplish the similar results.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:33   #56

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
Good suggestion. I suspect there are apps that can be loaded onto a phone to accomplish the similar results.
I am concerned that measuring 30 feet from the boat will be difficult for someone who cannot use a tape measure (or cannot just look at the boat pic and say: "oh yes, it's the 7' draft version.").

A laser distance measuring device would be handy for measuring that 30' boat-sextant distance.

Several useful cell phone apps would be good too. First, use cell phone GPS to verify that you are, in fact, in the same marina where your boat is kept. Use a cell phone level application to gauge the slope of the ground. Double check those level readings with the level built into most laser distance measuring devices.

The cell phone calculator can usually be set to the scientific mode, which makes the trig easier to do: we've already seen the horrible mistakes that can occur when using a slide rule!

A cell phone can also be used as the weight on a pendulum, so that a 30' length of string could be obtained by trial and error, by timing the pendulum swing period and doing the math -- again, the math is eased by the cell phone's calculator. Then, that 30' string could be used for sextant positioning.

Another useful cell phone app: Hold the cell phone at the boat's waterline when it is on the hard. Have a friend use his cell phone stop watch to time the fall of your cell phone to ground. Say "GO" when you drop your cell phone. Repeat this 6 times, and average the results. Do the math: use 32' per second per second to get a measurement in feet.

Simple.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 16:22   #57
Marine Service Provider

Ken Fry--too funny!!! And using a rangefinder to check the sextant. HA HA ..as you said--do the math!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 20:14   #58

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
I am concerned that measuring 30 feet from the boat will be difficult for someone who cannot use a tape measure (or cannot just look at the boat pic and say: "oh yes, it's the 7' draft version.").

A laser distance measuring device would be handy for measuring that 30' boat-sextant distance.

Several useful cell phone apps would be good too. First, use cell phone GPS to verify that you are, in fact, in the same marina where your boat is kept. Use a cell phone level application to gauge the slope of the ground. Double check those level readings with the level built into most laser distance measuring devices.

The cell phone calculator can usually be set to the scientific mode, which makes the trig easier to do: we've already seen the horrible mistakes that can occur when using a slide rule!

A cell phone can also be used as the weight on a pendulum, so that a 30' length of string could be obtained by trial and error, by timing the pendulum swing period and doing the math -- again, the math is eased by the cell phone's calculator. Then, that 30' string could be used for sextant positioning.

Another useful cell phone app: Hold the cell phone at the boat's waterline when it is on the hard. Have a friend use his cell phone stop watch to time the fall of your cell phone to ground. Say "GO" when you drop your cell phone. Repeat this 6 times, and average the results. Do the math: use 32' per second per second to get a measurement in feet.

Simple.
I like the dropped cell phone idea. If I am not mistaken, some phones are equipped with a built in accelerometer. Hence, one need only to start it, drop the phone on location. When you discover the maximum acceleration reached, it should be pretty simple to work backwards (using 32 ft/sec/sec) to find the distance. Voila.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:15   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Did you ever see something so simple so beat to death.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft