Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2020, 23:24   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Can you feel your sails flog through the deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster View Post
Thanks for the response. The shudder (very slight by the way) was just a couple times as the jib was being trimmed in. So the sails were fine. Sounds like it may not be too unusual.

I just had not felt that before on my 35' Catalina but maybe its just the much larger forces associated with a 46' boat with a pretty big rig. Anyone out there with a larger monohull NOT feel some light shuddering when the sails are flogging a bit?

Not unusual at all. The lighter the boat w.r.t. sail area vs. displacement and rig tuning will probably have the most effect on whether you are shaking the hull during a tack.

I can't feel any flogging when tacking our 46' ketch. I'm the one doing everything in the cockpit, so I'm not below deck. And I'm too busy all over the cockpit and the helm at the same time to feel a little normal shaking of the rig!
Seriously, if I am below and the wind shifts so the jib flogs, I can't feel it in the hull or deck, but I definitely hear it happen. The boat is a Morgan 46.

Used to have a Cal29, now that boat would shudder and shake below when tacking. On the other hand, that 29' design, though not known for great speed, was a faster sailboat than the 46' in most conditions, due to sail area vs. displacement (deck and hull light or heavily built) and the way we sail. Also depends on rig tuning. I would guess that a tightly set up rig, which we did with the Cal for racing, will transmit more shaking than a more relaxed tuning such as we have in the 46'.
Old 19-08-2020, 00:06   #17

Boat: warwick 44
Re: Can you feel your sails flog through the deck?

Check the leech cord
boris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, sail, sails