Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2022, 03:27   #16

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Can you identify this Buccaneer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the candor. Truthfully I was leaning toward "no" on this one, as it was more project than I wanted to take up. Not scared of the work, but the older I get (I'm 46) the more I view time as a premium, even though money is tight. I will keep looking for something more together. Thinking about a 25-28' trailer sailer that would be comfortable to learn on and eventually take on overnight trips (I live an hour away from the gulf). Anyway, thanks for everything.
I have owned several trailer sailers and the best advice I can give is to get one as small as you can stand. The biggest hassle is dealing with putting the rig up and down. If it's just you, it gets even harder. You can rig "come-alongs" and pulley systems and all sorts of things to help, but it's time consuming and still a pain in the tookus.

The best trailer boat I ever had was a Catalina Capri 18. It sailed amazing for such a small boat. And the rig was so simple and light I could easily raise and lower it by hand by myself, and I'm not big guy. Interior room was fine, the quarter berths were very long. It was light and easy to tow, which is another thing you need to think about - make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task of whatever boat you get.

If at all possible if it's in the budget I would look at getting something you could keep in a slip or moor out if there's a place for that.

Old 13-07-2022, 03:28   #17

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Catalina 27…Chevrolet of the bay.
Plus 1 on the C27. Possibly the best intro boat ever built, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Old 13-07-2022, 20:39   #18

Thumbs up Re: Can you identify this Buccaneer?

The first boat I 0wned was a buccaneer20. I have a wife and 3 daughters and a Dog ( Comparable to a German Shepperd) We sailed this boat from March till September every weekend and any weather and some trips where around 4 5 weeks long. We traveled from Seattle to Desolitionsound and had great times never to be forgotten by my family . This was about 40 years ago I than wend on to a 32 feet double ender and now for old age back to a 27 Catalina. If you can buy this boat for say $500.00 and you can sail it as is great to get you started if you have to spend more money (Beside lifejacket ,flares , ancherpackage etc.) my advise is to look out for a cataline 20 t0 27. Look into the insurance as well. Marinas don't accept you without insurance.
Good luck
Hans Klardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:59   #19

Boat: Alberg 35

Catalina 25-27 and go sail. They are cheap and can actual sail reasonably well. Easy to work on and Catalina Direct sells almost every single part for them.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 08:25   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Get something that you can get in the water quickly. Cosmetic issue are less important than structural ones of course. It doesn't have to be pristine, but it should be seaworth as it is. Something needing a complete interior refit is a non-starter. A Catalina 22 would be an excellent choice. They are easy to sail, stiff and very forgiving, and you can find them with either a fixed- or swing keel. They hold their value well. Better maintained ones are in the 5-7K range but I have seen them for less than 2K. Good luck on your search and welcome aboard!
Old 22-07-2022, 08:48   #21
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Learning to sail with a boat, start small, with something in reasonable condition so you can sell it if you don't like it, or if you like it so much you want to upsize!

You can get a 17-23 foot trailer-sailor in decent shape with an outboard for $6K CAD (<$5K US) around here. You might get something cheaper, but you might be buying serious problems and never get on the water.

Make sure the trailer is also in good shape, that you have a vehicle capable of pulling it, and you have a place to park it - in the water or on land.

Get the owner to take you out and teach you a little about the motor and sails, how to launch, putting the mast up/down and trailering it...take notes!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 09:37   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
Catalina 25-27 and go sail. They are cheap and can actual sail reasonably well. Easy to work on and Catalina Direct sells almost every single part for them.

In Ca. we use to call the Catalina the "Chevrolet" of the bay.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote