Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 05:31   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Can't reach mainsheet, rout to rear?

My mainsheet traveler is on top of the cabin in front of a pretty long hatch. I currently have a standard (I guess) lower block with an integrated cam cleat. This makes it difficult to reach up to cleat the main, especially when heeling over a bit. I'd like to rout the mainsheet control closer to the cockpit and in a fixed location. I believe something similar to a "German rig" is what I want. I have a completely unused winch cause I don't currently run a spinnaker or aditional sails, but I'd like to stick with a simple cam cleat and hand pull the line. Any Idea of where to put it for good structural strength and ergonomics? Below is a pic I found of the same boat, but it looks like their mainsheet cleat is up on the boom... which seems worse.

AuChante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:51   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Can't reach mainsheet, rout to rear?

This is how I redirected mine to go through my dodger and installed a cam cleat on each side of the companion way.

Foster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traveler blocks.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	265613  
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
This is how I redirected mine to go through my dodger and installed a cam cleat on each side of the companion way.

Foster
That looks like your traveler? I have a cleat on that up at the end of the traveler and is good enough for now. I'm talking about the mainsheet.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:16   #4

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Sorry you are correct. I misread your post that clearly says mainsheet.

My mainsheet is reeved so the working end goes from one of the blocks on the mast, to a block at the gooseneck end, down to a block at the base of the mast, then back to the cockpit where it can either be used with a cabin top winch or just cleated with a cam cleat.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 14:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
Sorry you are correct. I misread your post that clearly says mainsheet.

My mainsheet is reeved so the working end goes from one of the blocks on the mast, to a block at the gooseneck end, down to a block at the base of the mast, then back to the cockpit where it can either be used with a cabin top winch or just cleated with a cam cleat.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

Foster
I want to do something similar. Here's my boat. I think I have 5 free spinlocks as I'm not running any extra sails at the moment, but that'd be a bit scary to use for the main cause I can't just snatch the line to loose the sail. I may just add a cam cleat type deal in the area of that winch. Is that just a matter of tapping through the fiberglass or are there structural considerations to take into account?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	265634  
Old 11-10-2022, 15:26   #6

Boat: Sabre 34

In a setup like yours typically a spliced sheet starts at the becket block in the middle of traveler, goes up to boom, comes down to the becket block to create multiple purchase, goes forward to the front end of boom, then to a mast base block and via a cheek block/fairlead back to the cockpit.

Is the 2nd photo of your boat also? That kind of system is typically seen where the sheet/traveler are in the cockpit.

P.S. that mainsheet looks oversized IMO
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 15:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
In a setup like yours typically a spliced sheet starts at the becket block in the middle of traveler, goes up to boom, comes down to the becket block to create multiple purchase, goes forward to the front end of boom, then to a mast base block and via a cheek block/fairlead back to the cockpit.

Is the 2nd photo of your boat also? That kind of system is typically seen where the sheet/traveler are in the cockpit.

Yes that’s my boat. The first picture is a random one I found online. I guess they came from the factory like this but it’s hard to find good pictures. I’ll plan on doing something like you describe.
Old 19-10-2022, 04:59   #8

Quote:
Why do you say that? too much purchase or oversized line? Not sure that I'd want to downgrade either. It makes for easy pulling and is easy on the hands.

One annoying thing (had same issue on my Hobie) is the blocks on the boom can swivel. It doesn't take long for the line to get twist in it and the blocks spin around. Eventually two of the blocks will make a full rotation and makes it incredibly difficult to make any adjustments.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:22   #9

Boat: J/88

Having had a couple of boats with main sheets and travelers in locations like this followed by my current setup with the traveler across the cockpit right where you steer from I cannot imagine how I coped before! Even having crew with you trying to dump that mainsheet or traveler when you need to seems awful and probably why we rounded up so often! Trying to trim the main from under the dodger while straddling the companionway is now a distant memory.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:27   #10

This is my system which is not too different than yours, photos are from a few years ago, since then I have upsized the blocks and downsized the line and it is much easier to maneuver the sheet.

Take a look at the bottom right in the 2nd photo, that’s where the mainsheet is coming from the mast base block to a cabin top winch on the port side, I believe that’s what your original question was.

Your manual should specify the line size - generally thicker lines will be easier on hands but provide more resistance through the sheaves.

Keeping a little tension on the sheet will prevent the swivel blocks from rotating too much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70956438-0F16-4799-9D6E-FCB57312F8FA.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	266011   Click image for larger version

Name:	26DC4BDE-B3DD-4521-894E-9494CE3D8136.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	266012  

Old 19-10-2022, 08:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Having had a couple of boats with main sheets and travelers in locations like this followed by my current setup with the traveler across the cockpit right where you steer from I cannot imagine how I coped before! Even having crew with you trying to dump that mainsheet or traveler when you need to seems awful and probably why we rounded up so often! Trying to trim the main from under the dodger while straddling the companionway is now a distant memory.
Agree with this and would prefer it over my cabin top traveler system but my setup doesn’t allow it, to get around it I bring the mainsheet back to the helm through a camcleat, don’t use the self-tailer, traveler is usually set beforehand for the expected conditions.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:44   #12

Quote:
This is my system which is not too different than yours, photos are from a few years ago, since then I have upsized the blocks and downsized the line and it is much easier to maneuver the sheet.

Take a look at the bottom right in the 2nd photo, that’s where the mainsheet is coming from the mast base block to a cabin top winch on the port side, I believe that’s what your original question was.

Your manual should specify the line size - generally thicker lines will be easier on hands but provide more resistance through the sheaves.

Keeping a little tension on the sheet will prevent the swivel blocks from rotating too much.
How is using a winch for the main? Seems like it's not the best when it's time to let it out, especially doing it quickly. I'm currently planning on putting a swivel cleat up there. The Ronstan RF70 is the only one I've found that has pulleys (what do you call it when you are referring to only the pulley) instead of just an eye. Seems like that would be more common. I also want one that cleats up/ releases down since it will be mounted so high relative to sitting position.
Old 01-11-2022, 14:44   #13

I've about solidified my plan here. It hasn't changed. I just need some advise on the swivel cleat. It seems that swivel cleats with lateral sheaves (Ronstan RF70) are about non existent. Would a regular swivel cleat with an eye be fine for the mainsheet? It'll be pulling at close to a 90 deg angle when controlled from the opposite side of the boat.
Old 04-11-2022, 17:03   #14

The swivel cleat isn’t going to work.
So plan one is of course to leave it as is cause i have important things to address first. It’ll most likely end up just fine the way it is. The traveler is currently getting new sheaves and that may actually fix everything.
Plan two is to rout it through a deck brake use a cabin top winch.
Plan three is to do something like attached. I’ll have to see how strong the grab bar is and maybe do some mods to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D46DB32C-489E-4206-8149-7E036529C27A.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	266807