Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23   #1

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport
Cape dory 25 - real weight?

Dear Sailors,
Thinking of buying a cape dory 25 (not the D version)
Need to trail it quite far for winter, so I need to get the boat to be 1.8tons or less. How real is that, if I would take out the engine? The specs many time just dont fit reality.
Thanks.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 15:58   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Cape dory 25 - real weight?

Just to clarify, you need to reduce the weight of the vessel by 400 pounds. Since this boat was never equipped with an inboard you are asking if the weight will be reduced by 400 pounds if you remove the outboard from the outboard well. No.
What you need to do is use a tow vehicle which has the capacity to tow this vessel safely. It is not unusual for the manufacturers specified displacement to be off by 10% more or less. Be safe.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 16:11   #3

I was afraid so, its 1.8 affording to https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-dory-25 plus the trailer (I would guess at least 300Kg (aluminium) gets me on 2.1
the real question to a Cape Dory owner is, how much does the boat weight really, since Saildata has often the weight data not accurate (mostly lower)
Old 08-03-2019, 16:20   #4

Trailers are pretty heavy too. Maybe your question should be about your tow vehicle...? Weights sometimes dont take into account of tanks, sails etc too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 17:39   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
the real question to a Cape Dory owner is, how much does the boat weight really, since Saildata has often the weight data not accurate (mostly lower)
The manufacturers stated displacement is 4,000 pounds. Unless someone has weighed one with a certified scale it’s as close as you’re going to get.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 18:25   #6

When I pulled my Alberg 22 last season (no outboard engine, or mast by that point) the crane operator was convinced the boat was full of water :-)

It was dry as a bone with most misc equipment removed, but someone with lots of experience on the crane could tell it was 'heavy' for it size and was surprised at the 'manufacturer' stated weight.

As Jim noted above the only way to properly do this is on a travel lift that is accurate or on a dump scale.

But if you are that close to the wire to calculate your towing numbers.... you should probably not do it. Hire a proper vehicle or get someone with a vehicle to do it for you.

Oh and a 300kg aluminum trailer for a 3600(+++) pound boat? That sounds way undersized. The proper sized wheels and axles should weigh 300 kg
tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 18:37   #7

For anyone who wants to see a train wreck in real life watch a few of these videos. They will make you think long and hard about leaving home without doing your due diligence on the towing equation. It's a miracle no one was killed during their travels. Note: The guy is brilliant at boat refit (make sure to checkout his mods to his Ericson 26 for offshore cruising) but totally failed on the towing side of things, both on the vehicle and trailer.

tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:50   #8

you are right, its to heavy for me, I will look elsewhere, I mean for another alternative, thanks for the info
Old 09-03-2019, 09:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
Dear Sailors,
Thinking of buying a cape dory 25 (not the D version)
Need to trail it quite far for winter, so I need to get the boat to be 1.8tons or less. How real is that, if I would take out the engine? The specs many time just dont fit reality.
Thanks.
Sounds like you are in the UK so this suggestion may or may not pertain to your situation. In the USA it’s not difficult to find a commercial truck scale in virtually any city and actually weigh the trailer and cargo as loaded. Takes the guesswork out of that side of the equation.

The other side is your towing capacity. Having towed various personal “objets d’ leisure” coast to coast several times, I can attest that you are far better off towing with a capacity which is a good deal greater than the minimum technically required for the job. Less effort, less wear and tear, and most importantly IMO, much safer.

The other option of engaging a professional’s services often seems too costly—until after the fact and failures of a DIY job. Life is a little less enjoyable with a broken axle halfway across the USA from your destination. (Don’t ask me how I know this!)

As always, YMMV.

Best wishes on your project.
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

At least in the US it’s not really all that expensive to get something pulled. Not long ago it was $1 a mile for a Mobile Home for example.
What’s expensive is getting whatever it is prepared to be towed and doing whatever is necessary at the other end, the towing is relatively inexpensive.
Quite a few people with larger than average 5th wheels have learned that if they primarily spend the Summer up North and the Winter in Fl, it’s far cheaper to have it professionally hauled back and forth as opposed to owning a tow vehicle.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

I have a Catalina 30 which, according to most printed displacements, is between 10200 lbs. and 10500 lbs.. When I had my boat lifted by a crane , the weight was 13500 lbs. Can't vouch for cranes accuracy but it was a commercial crane run by a certified operator, not a marina crane. So I would anticipate that the sailboat data is based on a formula and doesn't include gear, etc.. I would anticipate that the towing weight will be much heavier than printed data.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you really want to know your weight after it’s on a trailer when you pass a truck stop with a CAT scale, pull in and as long as you position the truck and trailer correctly you will know weight on both axles of the truck and the trailer.
These scales are regularly calibrated and accurate, and certified to be so as trucks are fined for being overweight.
Crane scales may be accurate, scales on the sling at the marina have likely never been checked and it’s been my experience that they aren’t accurate at all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 23:19   #13

Boat: Bristol 30

I towed my M17 + trailer home in an izusu rodeo. 4500lbs of tow capacity. With all the stuff loaded and with a few people, total load on car was still 1000lbs under capacity.

A drive through WV hills killed the car.

I'd get a car well over the weight. Full size truck should do it. Its worth switching cars so you can haul your boat.

That being said, loving having a slip nowadays. Launching and retrieving is a pain in the ass.

Tags
cape dory