Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59   #16

Re: Cape Dory 28 in heavy weather

Thanks Stu, I have availed myself of some of your sites wonderful information. I also have done a little modifying of my M25xp, larger transmission, homemade engine mounts and upgrades to the 'replacement" alternator bracket.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 13:38   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Fish, I like what you are doing with your project. No details overlooked...making the boat serviceable and sea ready. Smart to go small. keep us posted as you progress. I have a Sharpie 30 foot and redoing the entire boat also. I feel overwhelmed at times.

How much did you pay for the Cape Dory? How much did it cost you to redo the entire engine, tranny, and alterations? Did you perform it yourself or have it done for you?
thanks
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:20   #18

Thank you for the kind words. I purchased the boat for 4k and have done all the work myself. I rebuilt the engine which I bought for 300 and have perhaps 1500 in now with another 800 in the transmission and running gear. A lot of the other parts are leftovers from my fishing boats. The standing rigging will be costing me about 3-400 when done but I already owned a splicing vise and spikes. I'm sure there's a bit more in incidentals such as fasteners, sealants and such but I hope to have it finished for somewhere in the vicinity of 10-12k depending on the level of finish. I was lucky that it came with almost new sails and that Cape Dory chose to use high quality components like the bronze portlights and fittings. She may be a bit small but I'll be single handing most of the time.
Old 09-10-2017, 18:17   #19

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

check out "Orca's Log" Cape Dory 28 trip around the world, fun book to read. I got a Cape Dory 30 Ketch last year and just brought it down to Ventura from San Francisco 20-30 kt to San Simeon. I would trust her easily in a storm.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 19:12   #20

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Matt Rutherford and James Baldwin have written about long voyages in Cape Dory 28s. I imagine there is mention of dealing with adverse weather and seas.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 20:09   #21

Boat: Skookum 47

I ran my Pearson Ariel (25'7" - Alberg Design) bare-poles before constant 40 knots for 12 hours south of Banderas Bay. Was starting to surf and hit 8-10 knots of speed. I was about to heave to, but was making great time. I was on the edge of control, and in retrospect, should have hove to.

I also beat (sails only for 80% of the way) back up from Puerto Vallarta to Morro Bay. Usually in 20-25 knots apparent. Not the best pointer, but she took it in stride. I was wet and miserable though. It's a tough boat. You'll just have to figure out what works best + what you're comfortable with. I am not a fan of lying ahull.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 22:55   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I recently bought a 1981 Cape Dory 28 in which I've replaced the aging Volvo in and am making a number of other improvements. I haven't had her in the water yet though. As a novice sailor with years of powerboat experience I've read a lot about bad weather tactics on sailboats with interest as they differ considerably from powerboats.
One thing I think you'll really enjoy about a sailboat is that big lump of lead holding you down. Once she is sailing and heeled over, the weight of the ballast down in the keel will balance the force of the sails and you'll find a nice steady motion that will have a feeling of things being under control even in the bigger winds and waves, perhaps a little more than a powerboat... unless you had stabilizers That is such a sweet little boat, I think you'll fall in love with sailing. There was one for sale nearby here last year, and if I had not already had a boat, I would have bid on her! She also was going for $4000 because she was in pieces in a yard, but well worth the effort to bring her back.
Good luck! Post photos of your progress!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51   #23

I got caught off shore south of Cape Cod in a real northerner in a Cape Dory 28.
The seas were larger than I had ever experienced and the wind was gusting to 40. It was a real 'mid-ocean' experience.
Reefed, shortened sail and she sailed like she was made for that kind of weather !
Although we had a drouge on board, I never felt it was necessary. Great boat, great design.
I'm not sure I would have been as fortunate in any other design.
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Matt Rutherford and James Baldwin have written about long voyages in Cape Dory 28s. I imagine there is mention of dealing with adverse weather and seas.
Were they writing about someone else's voyages on CD 28's?

(Because) Rutherford rounded the Americas on an Albin Vega and James Baldwin Circumnavigated a couple times on his 28' Pearson Triton (similar to the CD 28)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I purchased the boat for 4k and have done all the work myself. I rebuilt the engine which I bought for 300 and have perhaps 1500 in now with another 800 in the transmission and running gear. A lot of the other parts are leftovers from my fishing boats. The standing rigging will be costing me about 3-400 when done but I already owned a splicing vise and spikes. I'm sure there's a bit more in incidentals such as fasteners, sealants and such but I hope to have it finished for somewhere in the vicinity of 10-12k depending on the level of finish. I was lucky that it came with almost new sails and that Cape Dory chose to use high quality components like the bronze portlights and fittings. She may be a bit small but I'll be single handing most of the time.
Congratulations on the new boat. You've picked a winner for sure. I see these with asking prices in the high teens, low twenties most of the time, with all systems at the end of their useful lives. I'd love to have one, just can't justify the expense. Please do post pics...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:05   #26

I've had many "exciting" times trying to get past the "GRS" buoy after winter fishing trips on Georges. Thank you for the encouraging account of your experience.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13   #27

I've tried to keep my boat configured so that I could do as much as possible of the repair and upkeep myself, I hate having to rely on others as well as pay for it. I don't think my boat will win any beauty contests but I hope it turns out to be stout and seaworthy, I've tried to keep things simple and rugged. I'll have to get some pictures before snow flies.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:00   #28

Somebody might have already addressed it, but the thread begins ( I believe) with good advice, but incorrect terminology. An old Alberg design should heave to nicely. An early reply referred to laying ahull - generally not the best thing to do, particularly with a full keel. Laying ahull (or is it lying?) places your boat beam to the seas. I believe what the writer meant to recommend was heaving to. Heaving to (assuming you have the necessary searoom) generally results in a safe and comfortable way to ride out bad weather or stop for lunch. It’s very easy to do. Look it up if you are new to the game and IF you have a full keel of reasonable depth.
keelbolts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, weather