Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 11:47   #1

Cape Dory 31

Anyone have any experience with the Cape Dory 31? Would be cruised and livaboard for at least part of yr, mostly carib/mx/central america(all covid dependent of course) Not my first boat but still a novice. Have been though the boat buying search before so just wondering if anyone has any specific things to watch out for on this particular model?
aeronca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:47   #2

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: Cape Dory 31

Great full keel boat. I have a Cape dory 30 cutter. Watch out for soft cockpit sole and soft decks where winches, are bolted on. I spent $7000 getting mine fixed. If you get a good survey and the soft decks are detected, you can bargain with seller.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 13:46   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Very respected and usable design. Sorta cramped down below and the cockpit is low and exposed. However they have been sailed far and out thus clearly they are able.

Simple hull, protected rudder. Small boat, inexpensive and easy to upkeep.

Warning: they are all old boats. This implies aged material and possibly thru more than one ex-owner. So buyer beware - you will likely find pristine ones as well as many more bad apples.

I would take one, if I found a good one. No doubt.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 19:58   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

At this point in their lives it’s less about what to watch out for and more about Regular maintenance and upgrades.
In my particular case with a 1984 model I have replaced the engine, standing rigging, running rigging, sails, interior cushions, most wiring, all interior and exterior lighting for LED’s, all electronics, added a third battery and replaced all battery cables, hot water heater, steering cables, pedestal, gaskets in all hatches and opening ports, lifelines, fuel tank, etc, etc.
She is fully capable offshore, she has a substantial bridge deck, a full keel with internal lead ballast, a keel stepped mast, tracks very well, will do 100 to 140nm days runs, responds very well to a Monitor self steering unit, and with her traditional port and starboard settee berths is very comfortable for her size. She has three water tanks but the capacity is less than advertised. The actual measured capacity is 23 1/2 gallons for each of the tanks on port and starboard, and 18 gallons for the forward water tank. The fuel tank is 20 gallons.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 00:35   #5

Thanks for all the replies, just completed moving out of a house we sold so things have been crazy hectic. Currently planning a boat scouting trip for hopefully next week. Will probably start with the Cape Dory 31.
aeronca1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory