Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2021, 13:52   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
Cape North 43 (Ted Brewer)- Chain locker

Hi People,

I am trying to locate someone who owns a Ted Brewer Cape North 43 Center Console 1976 model......
My Cape North "Just Jane", has had the Windlass moved back by the previous owner so the chain now runs into the under bunk lockers of the V Berth forward cabin. As you can see from the pic attached, the Windlass is in open view in the cabin and has a PVC tube inserted to guide the chain down to the lower lockers. The original configuration has the Chain locker in the peak forward point of the boat and you can see the hatch for access.
This modification seems to be silly as it disrupts the V berth and you have to lift all the bedding to get to the chain locker.
I am trying to get a pic of how the original chain locker looked as I'd prefer to have the windlass back where it was.....Comments or ideas welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	250059  
conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 20:16   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Cape North 43 (Ted Brewer)- Chain locker

The PO probably had several reasons for doing the installation that way.
It appears that the bottom of the original chain locker is above the WL?
He would've wanted the weight of chain down low, and not right in the bow.
Hard to tell exactly but the V-berths look like that if 2 people were up there that their feet would overlap, quite narrow it seems.
It's easy to see the labor, (and cursing,) that would take place trying to muscle that windlass into that locker and support it/install it, and then maintain it.
Then, if successfully installed, all the wet chain piled up right under it will quickly start the corrosion process in what's basically a closed/un-vented space.
If there is a drain hole for that locker down near the waterline, then when you're in a seaway the water forces itself up into the locker, hard to tell, maybe it drains to the bilge.
The PO did good, he kept the weight out of the narrow bow, he made service and maintenance issues easily accomplished, he prevented a lot of corrosion issues, and he got the weight of the chain down low and aft.
Me thinks you're better off leaving well enough alone.
That's a nice-looking boat with a pretty sheer line.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 22:36   #3

Yes, the only reason I would have thought would be to get that weight low which is not a bad thing. Everything up front drains to the bilge. The chain has a tendency to jam up in the lower portion of the PVC pipe when the chain pile gets high. Pretty annoying.
She is a good boat...classic lines.
Old 20-12-2021, 22:53   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by conj View Post
The chain has a tendency to jam up in the lower portion of the PVC pipe when the chain pile gets high. Pretty annoying.
That issue can be delt with fairly easily.
Using plywood one can build a "pyramid", if you will, with either 3 or 4 sides, that's fairly steeply pitched, but doesn't need to be all that large in the base.
Mounted in the bottom of the locker so that the "point" of the pyramid is underneath the center of the PVC pipe, and below it by several inches.
As the chain comes in it will be deflected to the sides, and as the chain kind of "rattles" around it will be deflected first one way and then another.
It's a simple method, and some trial-and-error might take place, but it will keep the chain from forming a central "mound" if you will.
Sometimes, with careful use, a heat gun can be used to "form" the bottom of the pipe in more-or-less of a "bell" shape to help in the release of the chain, but really gives good service when the chain is running out.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 15:26   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Just Jane was a Royal south Australian yacht squadron boat for many years ,her owners were verry knowledgeable sailors ,they took her a couple of circumnavigations ,last saw her in coles bay Tasmania ,have done similar alterations to use the mast support post ,not the mast ,to direct the anchor chain to a locker under the cabin sole ,weight low ,close to centre of ballast ,it works .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 15:35   #6

Thanks Searls, that is very interesting. The previous owners were in Tassy for some time. It was the owners before them that did the modification.
I must admit, I am coming around to it being a good alteration. a lot more positives than negatives.

Will deal with the chain piling issue as specified by Bowdries, will save racing down to the V berth to clear the jammed chain all the time.
We aren't expert sailors but getting there..
Old 22-12-2021, 01:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From [Gallery] ➥ https://horizon-yacht-sales.com/brok...cape-north-43/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 03:16   #8

Thanks. Any chance of a pic inside the chain locker itself. Would be appreciated.
Old 22-12-2021, 03:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Thanks. Any chance of a pic inside the chain locker itself. Would be appreciated.
I don't see how, since the locker appears to have have no hatch, just a hawsepipe/spurling pipe.

See also:
Black Velvet II by Ted Brewer [Cape North 43]
http://www.sailfarlivefree.com/2012/...er-ted_07.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 07:56   #10

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

What you have is something I have done on all my boats since I started carrying all chain for anchoring. Only instead of strait down I direct the PVC on an angle to the location of the V berth filler which pushes the chain and its weight further aft, and also with easy access. Keeping the weight further aft from the bow means better performance at sea.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 19:34   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Yes, the only reason I would have thought would be to get that weight low which is not a bad thing. Everything up front drains to the bilge. The chain has a tendency to jam up in the lower portion of the PVC pipe when the chain pile gets high. Pretty annoying.

I did the same with my boat. I wanted two anchors ready to go on the bow. There wasn't enough room for two anchor rodes in the original locker forward of the V berths. So now that forward locker is dedicated to my secondary anchor's chain and rope rode.
Old 23-12-2021, 10:43   #12

I own a 1977 Cape North 43 that I purchased in Mexico in 2018. When the boat came to me it had exactly the same arrangement, with the chain coming down through a spurling pipe into the V-berth near the center line. I may be the only one going in the other direction, but I moved the (new Lewmar) windlass forward so that the chain fell into the forepeak, forward of the bulkhead, because I anticipated coastal cruising with guests and I wanted the V-berth to be more comfortable. I had about 400’ of chain and it all fit in there without issue. Eventually, I changed over to 125’ of 3/8’ chain and 300’ of 8-plait, which I assume is a lighter overall. This system works well. Rigging the Lewmar in that compartment was not a huge job, as the bulkhead opening is quite large.

My boat is currently in Maryland, USA. I would love to correspond with other CN43 owners.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 14:52   #13

Thanks Arthur, that is interesting. There aren't many of these boats around but extremely seaworthy. Do you find any difference with the sea performance once you moved it back forward..?
Also in that peak, there is a stiffening steel rod (not sure what its called) which must re-enforce that front bow area....did this cause any issues with the chain rode when being fed in and out..?
Would like to discuss further as I am currently researching Lithium Batteries to replace the old Wet Cells I have plus many wiring repairs.
Old 23-12-2021, 16:22   #14

Hi Conj,

Unfortunately I never sailed the boat before moving the windlass forward, so I cannot make a comparison. I’m sure that, theoretically, there would be a difference, but y’know, the boat weighs 24,000 pounds! Also, I did not have confidence in my old chain, so changed it out for chain-and-rode, which I believe is much lighter overall.

I do not have a “stiffening rod” in my forepeak (hmmmm, now I’m wondering why not . . . ), so that is not an issue. I wonder if what you have is a reinforcing rod for the inner head stay. Anyway, I don’t have one. My chain drops freely downward from the windlass and just goes where it wants. No spurling pipe. Seems to work. In fact, I stole some space on the port side of the forepeak to create a mini-place to hold about 25’ of chain for a second anchor, and still seem to have enough space.

Aside from the weight distribution, the only downside I have identified is that there’s no room up there for the rode for the second anchor. My second anchor chain is there, and accessible from the deck, but the rode is under the V-berth, so if I need it, I better hope I’m not in too much of a hurry.

I looked at Just Jane when she was on the market, but she was just too far away (I’m on the US east coast). My guess is she’s in excellent overall condition, much better than mine was, so congratulations to you. Do you have any big projects in mind?

Best,

Arthur
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 16:47   #15

Yes, she is a heavy boat which is what you want....pushes through very nicely.
Mine comes in at 16 Tonnes .
You maybe right about the rod being some reinforcing for the inner stay...will have to investigate.
My main project will be the Electrical system. A lot of the high crent DC wiring is all in the same space as the engine and is cracking up from all the heat and fumes so my plan is to relocate house batteries and wiring outside the engine room with a good BMS. Big job. How is your electrical system fairing.