Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 07:18   #1

Captiva 240?

I'm considering purchasing a trailerable sailboat for use around the Great Lakes. I'm currently a power boat owner. I don't plan on changing sides, but I would like something that isn't quite so expensive/difficult to take to some of the areas that are further from my marina. My primary use would be coastal cruising and extended weekend trips to various ports around the state. Because of this, my main requirements are

- Can sleep 2-4 without too much discomfort
- Can handle mild to moderate weather on the Great Lakes
- Has autopilot to help when I'm singlehanded
- Isn't too difficult to rig/launch/retrieve (I will be storing it on land)

My initial searches pointed me towards a MacGregor. I know that topic has been beaten to death. I don't want to open that can of worms in this thread, but comparisons to the other boat I am considering might be helpful. There is a well equipped 1999 Mac 26X for sale near me that I plan to take a look at as well as a 1986 Captiva 240 which looks well cared for. The Captiva is half the cost of the Mac. It seems like there isn't nearly as much knowledge about the 240 and that they were a small production boat. I haven't been able to do a lot of research because of this.

Things I like about the Mac

- Roomier
- Able to motor faster if I get pressed for time or weather is looming
- More of a support community

Things I like about the Captiva

- Looks like it might be more solidly built
- Cheaper
- Real ballast (heels less?)

I'm a fairly new sailor with perhaps 40 hours at best, primarily on a 2 person dinghy, but a couple hours on a 30 foot cruiser. I have a 1 ton pickup, so I should be able to tow either without much trouble. I know no one here can make the decision for me, but what considerations haven't I thought about. What might I really want to consider when I take a look at both of these vessels?
KeithKris is offline   Reply With Quote