Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 22:55   #16

Boat: J/40
Re: carbon spars?

ahh, okay,
well you want to race.....

I've done that on some occasions, although my j/40 is a strict cruiser.

First off, 50k is probably high for a new carbon stick alone, but price it out. the additional costs comes in new standing rigging, running rigging and sails.

You mentioned your sails are fairly new. Well, a new rig means recut or new sails. just add that in.

If you want race performance, another option for an older boat may be a new keel. If you have an older shoal keel, that should be upgraded first.

But I am assuming you don't. You have good sails, a good boat (what model C&C?)

Another option is talk to a boat designer. If you have enough to consider a new carbon rig, you definitely need to call up a designer and get some ideas/quotes.

finally, my Ultimate recommendation: buy a thistle/Vanguard 15/laser/etc that is the fleet in your local area and sail it. You just get better much faster. Small boats offer more sailing with more demand on the helmsman, making him or her better and better in less time. Ultimately, you'll probably find it's way more fun than keelboats anyway (except lasers. They are too painful).
infinitysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
First, I have no idea on the cost, 50k was a guess. Second I do race and quite often (at least 2 times a week).
The money to me, I don't think will be wasted if spent. I have no intention of selling the boat within the next 20 years. My sails are North sails 3DL 960 and only a year old. The bottom paint is hard and sanded up to a 1500 grit (its pretty smooth)! The rigging is a good idea, I will look into that! And on the diet, I'm American
Cunningham..there are only so many to go around!! everyone would be better off if they had one ..it is the most important thing in the whole wide world!...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26   #18

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysail
ahh, okay,
well you want to race.....

I've done that on some occasions, although my j/40 is a strict cruiser.

First off, 50k is probably high for a new carbon stick alone, but price it out. the additional costs comes in new standing rigging, running rigging and sails.

You mentioned your sails are fairly new. Well, a new rig means recut or new sails. just add that in.

If you want race performance, another option for an older boat may be a new keel. If you have an older shoal keel, that should be upgraded first.

But I am assuming you don't. You have good sails, a good boat (what model C&C?)

Another option is talk to a boat designer. If you have enough to consider a new carbon rig, you definitely need to call up a designer and get some ideas/quotes.

finally, my Ultimate recommendation: buy a thistle/Vanguard 15/laser/etc that is the fleet in your local area and sail it. You just get better much faster. Small boats offer more sailing with more demand on the helmsman, making him or her better and better in l
ess time. Ultimately, you'll probably find it's way more fun than keelboats anyway (except lasers. They are too painful).
Mine is the 80 C&C 40. She has the 7ft draft, which is by no means a shoal.
Regarding the laser, I started sailing one at 13. The earliest I can remember sailing was at age 5. Sailing has been a large part of my life, although I hardly know anything about sailing, I think that I have moved on from the small boats (although they were great)!
Now you said your J40 was a strict cruiser, that must be a pretty sweet sailing cruiser!
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you are a racer, could changing to a carbon mast change your rating therefore making the additional expense of no value as far as winning races goes?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36   #20

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
If you are a racer, could changing to a carbon mast change your rating therefore making the additional expense of no value as far as winning races goes?
I have thought of this, but it depends on how much it affects the rating. If it is minimal, then the added light air performance would certainly benefit. But if to large, then my boat would lose its chief advantage; a very high PHRF.

There are still quite a few unknown variables, so this question is still very much un-determined. But I certainly appreciate all the advice and hope to see ut continue to flow in!
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote