Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 19:36   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Careening an Ingrid

Something I have always wondered about (but am unwilling to try without expert guidance).
I had wondered about it before our last haul out which was really not too bad at around $500 for the round trip haulout (although I realized I was under the misinformation that "haulout" meant the boat - when they told me to haul out my wallet when we were done...... ).

I have seen before where some Scandinavian boats from times past (and still do for all I know) use sturdy "braces" (no idea what they are really called) that attach to the port and starboard sides of the boat to keep it upright on a beach as the tide goes out. This is what I am more interested in rather than actually just careening it on the beach and letting it fall over as the tide goes out. Ok, I'm really more interested in saving the $500 every couple of years for hauling the Ingrid.

Ok, here it comes - let me have it you catamaran guys! If we could afford a cat....

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 21:37   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Ok, I'm really more interested in saving the $500 every couple of years for hauling the Ingrid.
And do what while you're careened?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 04:27   #3

Whatever is necessary at the time. It is a question asking the possibilities and how it is done - not what can be done while it is careened.

Old 15-10-2010, 04:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
They're called "beaching legs".

Your Ingrid with her full keel ought to dry out just fine. You don't need the beaching legs if you can find some scrubbing posts somewhere.

$500 is a lot for a boat that size! I pay 99 pounds ($160) to have my 54', 24 ton boat hauled out, scrubbed, and relaunched, in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 04:48   #5

What you are looking for are sometimes called "beaching legs". Some technique involved, however it isn't brain surgery.

Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 05:06   #6

Wow! That would be fantastic to find those prices over here Dockhead. It is more than that here for a one way haul out. And then $75 / hr for pressure washing. And then... And then.....

Yes - the beaching legs are the idea I was wondering about. Great pictures of them. Do you or anyone else have more information on them and what needs to be done to modify a boat to use them? This is out of curiosity more than anything - I doubt that I will ever try to install them on our Ingrid. But it seems that the Ingrid design would lend itself well to beaching legs.

Efraim - your pictures come close to showing me everything I was wondering about. Mainly now wondering how strong the top mounting points would need to be. A fair deal of strength I would think. Off to do some more research!
Thanks.

Old 15-10-2010, 19:18   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Find a place (a wall, or a some super duper poles) where you can just tie up and when the tide is out you can do your fixes.

The beaching legs must be brit / french invention, never seen them in Scandinavia.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 19:37   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
There used to be a careening area over at Shilshole but it is probably not there anymore. I have an Ingrid as well and I would be very concerned what she was sitting on. Idora displaces 26,000 lbs and would need a very firm level place to sit. I did put my 26ft sloop on the tide grid ove at Shilshole once and she fell on her nose as the tide went out. Never toppled over but it was scary. The main concern now is the environmental law concerning bottom cleaning and disposal of the waste. Gotta stay out of trouble there. Try talking to Charlie Cobra and see what he suggests. He may have some insight regarding reasonable haulout options. I know I would want to get in and out fast with a wood hull.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 19:53   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
I live in a back water on the eastern shore in Maryland on the eastern shore, the cheap side, and I paid 500 and was not happy but they have you don't they...?
Old 15-10-2010, 20:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Wow! That would be fantastic to find those prices over here Dockhead. It is more than that here for a one way haul out. And then $75 / hr for pressure washing. And then... And then.....

Yes - the beaching legs are the idea I was wondering about. Great pictures of them. Do you or anyone else have more information on them and what needs to be done to modify a boat to use them? This is out of curiosity more than anything - I doubt that I will ever try to install them on our Ingrid. But it seems that the Ingrid design would lend itself well to beaching legs.

Efraim - your pictures come close to showing me everything I was wondering about. Mainly now wondering how strong the top mounting points would need to be. A fair deal of strength I would think. Off to do some more research!
Thanks.
You can download issue #179 of Wooden Boat Magazine that has a whole article about beaching legs written by Paul Gartside that goes into detail on how to build, install and use beaching legs.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote