Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 12:59   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Carrying a 2nd anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I have one big one for everything, and a fortress as a kedge that I can quickly attach to the second rode forward. It's very useful for impending gales and to limit swing.
Never even wished I had a stern anchor.
Never wished for a third anchor.
I’m with Ben on this one.

I’m prefer to have one doozy of an anchor and a fortress for kedging off in a situation that requires it.

For example. I upgraded the monohull I’m selling to a 60lbs Manson Supreme. Held through hurricane force winds this spring and never EVER drags. Fortress at the stern to kedge if needed.

Catamaran: 80lbs Manson Supreme. Held no problem while the eye of a category 4 hurricane went right over my boat. Never ever drags. It was stolen off the bow and now I have an 88lb Rocna. I hope it’s as good as the Manson Supreme. It’s definitely not as sharp. The tip is rather dull. fortress on the stern ready to kedge.

Both setups are chain to shackle without any swivel. I get some twist but I just deal with it as I’m retrieving the chain.

I use a long snubber on the mono and a long bridle on the cat.

Stopped using chain hooks and I’m VERY impressed with how well the fancy rolling hitch knot holds the chain and doesn’t chafe.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 15:26   #32

Boat: Cal-40

Best to keep both, you could easily get hung up and loose your primary anchor then what are you going to do ? I carry three but.... if this damn dingy outboard keeps acting up I’m going to have four.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 15:32   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Best to keep both, you could easily get hung up and loose your primary anchor then what are you going to do ? I carry three but.... if this damn dingy outboard keeps acting up I’m going to have four.
Ha ha ha.

I have an 8hp tohatsu anchor you could have. Only 5 years old and already an anchor.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 16:44   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I have two, as well. Main on the bow and a backup in the lazarette. Never used the 2nd one on my own vessel. But I’d never get rid of it. As others said. Peace of mind.

I only used the 2nd anchor on a bareboat charter in Phuket, Thailand, where I was the responsible party a.k.a. Skipper. It was an iffy Anchorage and I didn’t trust the bow Anchor 100% and I never had and never wanted to sustain damage on a charter. It would become part of my profile and sailing resume.

As for my own vessel. If I ever get in a position where I feel I need it... I’ll be happy I have it and will gladly use it
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:04   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have three.

One time, a submerged tree snagged our primary anchor, and we had to cut the chain to get free. Spent the night on the "spare" plow type anchor. Retired to a local mooring and waited for our new primary anchor to arrive, because of not really trusting the plow. We carry a 20 lb. Danforth high tensile anchor for a kedge, and it has been used a lot, in various situations, including off the bow in a Y sort of arrangement as added holding [fluke area] in storm force winds, in a variable bottom. (Sometimes you don't get to anchor where the holding is better, because others are already there.)

Actually, I think it is quite telling that Mike carries 4, because in many things, he's kind of a minimalist. But, the thing is, where you sail can to some extent determine what you need or will need. And, if you plan a circumnavigation, you'll need to have a variety, because you will anchor in or on a variety of bottoms and in varying conditions.

For monohull sailboats, that kedge can be used to hold you bow or stern to the swell, and that can make life a lot more comfortable. (Some anchorages are rolly.)

Ann
Old 16-07-2020, 17:35   #36

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

I cruised the east coast of Canada, USA, and the Bahamas on a 32' sloop. Carried a Danforth, a CQR and a fisherman. Plus a 5 lb Danforth for the dinghy or as a lunch hook.

One night had to use 1 anchor to kedge off the bow and a 2nd anchor to kedge off the stern when the in coming tide pinned me against the Lion's Gate bridge in St. Augustine, FL

"A ship should not ride to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope." Plutarch
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:37   #37

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have three anchors,
A 40 Kg, a 24 KG and a Danforth I use as a stern anchor,
The 40 KG is too heavy for every day use, So its on the bow ready for a serious wind,
The 24 KG I use for every day use, Its on the Bow,

I have two bow rollers, To change from the lite anchor to the heavy anchor, is Just changing the D shackle that holds the chain on to the anchors,

The Danforth I use on the stern to stop the boat from swinging around while anchored,
It makes it easier to see if Im dragging or not, Which I dont any more,

Both my home made roll bar anchors have been in 20 knot winds and set solid,

I dont have a problem with crowded anchorages, There is no one there but me,
I drop the anchor straight down till its on the ground and then add 30 feet,
If the wind is high, I put the whole 100 feet of chain out, I stay put,
I do like to tuck myself away out of the wind and wave action in small hook bays if I can,

I did anchor in the channel near Ryhll, Fully exposed to all the wind and the tide for a test of my anchors,
I had the 24 KG out and was dragging slowly in the seagrass,
I put the 40 Kg out as well, It was still dragging very slowly in the seagrass,
I even put the 15 Kg Danforth out and was still dragging very very slowly in the seagrass,
It was in over 20 knots of wind, and a very fast running current, Approx 6 knots,
So I was still dragging slowly with approx 80 Kgs of anchor out,
Result, I dont park in seasgrass any more, Hahahaha
But it was all trial and error,

Any where else I have anchored, even in 20 knot winds and fast running tides,
I stay put,
I have to use the boat to release the anchors they dig in so deeply, But thats a problem I can live with,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:52   #38

Boat: Pearson 323

80% of the time 1 anchor (oversized mantus) is all I’ve ever needed. But there have been many times I’ve needed 2 (second is Bruce now, danforth years ago). In my book you have got to have 2, cause you never know...
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:16   #39

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. As usual, non of us are ambivalent about any issues, stay safe

Cheers!

Frank
Turk397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 06:50   #40

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk397 View Post
Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. As usual, non of us are ambivalent about any issues, stay safe

Cheers!

Frank

Besides, you're forgetting rule 3. Anything yacht related that has made its way onto a boat cannot be removed as it will immediatley become the one thing you wish you'd brought when you next go to sea.
Old 24-07-2020, 07:31   #41

I can't believe anyone would only carry one. We carry three. Yeah, it's a pain to store them, but not as big a pain as having your boat pulled off the beach somewhere.
Old 24-07-2020, 08:06   #42

While doing serious cruising or cruising in hurricane prone areas, the more the merrier. I carry 5.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:12   #43

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Even on small boats we carry 3 anchors--two which can be main, and two for stern, lunch hook and kedging. For our larger boats we had two heavy primaries. Two large Danforth or Fortress main anchor size, then medium bow/stern, and two more Danforth Fortress types for lunch hooks, stern hooks, kedge's. Total of 6 or 7 anchors. What if you loose you main anchor? Many places you are far more comfortable with bow and stern anchors to hold you into the swell or chop, and avoid beam rolling.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:30   #44

Boat: Formosa 51' ketch

My name is Bill and I’m an Anchor-holic, .... I did a full confession and accounting of anchor inventory in my post:

https://sailawayhome.com/anchors-away/
BPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:42   #45

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We carry two. A Mantus for the main and a Danforth as a backup. We've only used both a handful of times (weather or strong currents) but it's worth it to us.

Tags
anchor