Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 13:21   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cat Ketch Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnslrock View Post
I too am on the market for a blue water boat, and in my research determined a ketch rig is safest, for single-handed sailing. My folks think catamarans are the way to go. I just can’t conceive of sailing a boat that cannot steer a windward course.

The ketch rig makes sense because, as one poster put it, first up with the mizzen, last down with the mizzen. All from the safety of the cockpit. My only thought with the cat ketch is heaving to. Without a jib, it’s not possible. What to do to stay fast in deep water?
Welcome aboard Rnslrock!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 18:34   #32

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

You don't always need a jib to heave to, many cutters use a deep reefed main only. I used to heave my cutter to under main only, up to 45 knots, never needed a jib. On sloops I have found a jib is often needed.

I have a cat ketch now, my daughter has a Freedom 40 cat ketch. I have hove both boats to, under mizzen only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnslrock View Post
I too am on the market for a blue water boat, and in my research determined a ketch rig is safest, for single-handed sailing. My folks think catamarans are the way to go. I just can’t conceive of sailing a boat that cannot steer a windward course.

The ketch rig makes sense because, as one poster put it, first up with the mizzen, last down with the mizzen. All from the safety of the cockpit. My only thought with the cat ketch is heaving to. Without a jib, it’s not possible. What to do to stay fast in deep water?
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:24   #33

I have a freedom 40 for sale near me and I’m considering putting offer on it, it has the wrap around sails and aluminum spars. This will be my first sailboat, and I am wondering if anyone has any info about checking the sails for these ‘chafe’ issues, or where I might find info about ‘adjusting the rig’ to correct for these isssues. Thank you
suspect67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:30   #34

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

This may have been said but i didnt read the whole thread. Only con to the rig is that while wing on wing is very attractive there is no way to prevent the foward boom
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 02:49   #35

Hi All,
I am fascinated by the cat ketch rigging, does anybody know of a good resource to understand how the rigging is assembled and how the lines affect the sail ? I read a lot of stuff including the info posted in this tread but struggle to see what line does what, In the pics there seem to be 6-7 lines coming back to the cockpit in the Freedom 40 but hard to understand what is what. Also I understand that some have the Windsurf Stile boom while some have been converted to more traditional boom, but never saw a clear picture of how all this is assembled. Thanks for any info.
ora726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch