Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 15:55   #1
lyl

Catalina 22 Capri

I've made my first sailboat decision. I've decided to start with a Catalina 22, hopefully a Capri with fin keel. I'll forget about my Bahamas plans for a few years and just focus on gaining sailing experience. I believe a Capri will do the job. In the meantime, I'll keep on learning of course. Buying a used 22, I don't think I can ever go wrong. If I can find one in good condition, I will be set when we move.
People recommended sailing on other peoples' boats, but I'm too antisocial to even think about it. People adviced charters, but I started to think they are waste of money, especially at the very beginning of the journey. Even considered 30 - 40 year old 27- 32 ft sailboats, which all need work to be done; you either spend years on land fixing them, or spend a little fortune - endless money pits in my eyes, especially for a newbie who still is not sure about what he exactly is doing. Sailaway price tag on a new 28 - 32 ft is almost $200k; if I knew I would enjoy it for long, long years, then it could be worth it, but as a first sailboat experience - not so much. Something like Catalina 275 sport had seemed like a good idea, but then why spending over 60 - 70k for a day sailor - other than a nicer head, I think it provides nothing essential over a 22. A diesel, a nice head and a galley look good on paper, but they'll only increase the maintaining costs in the long run, which those funds could be transfered to the next sailboat. Taking courses seemes to be a good idea, and I'm planning to only attend enough to sail away in a Catalina 22.
Catalina 22 is a great day sailor, I believe. The maintenance seems to be minimal. There are several of them around; finding parts, maintaining, fixing, and etc have to be easier. A good portapotty, a 5hp outboard, and a big ice box, then you're on your way. I can even spend a night in it from time to time. I wonder how much is a brand new one; Catalina appeard to be keeping that info as a deep secret, but I know they are pretty economical as used - and seems as if there are plenty out there.
In the meantime, until we move to the seaside, I'll continue to rent dingies at the lakes around as much as I can. I've also missed my home made outrigger crab claw sail canoe, so I'll build one and enjoy the lake nearby. Your old canoe can turn into a really fast sailboat; it's just crazy.
Thanks everyone for your time and help; I learned alot from you all. This is such a great community here, on CF.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 16:09   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Catalina 22 Capri

Great choice!

The sailing school here uses those (or Capri 20's) to train their students. There are two of them at out marina on the dock across from mine.

I know one of the Instructors that uses them. They have I 6 HP Nissan outboards on them .....4 stroke I believe.

They sail these things way out into the bay.

The sailing school is SailTime and they also have 36'-40' Boat for the students to use later.

https://sailtime.com/virginia/sailing-school/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 18:17   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

full, the advice and experience that I offered upthread relative to a Cat 22 was related to the original design. The Capri is quite a different boat... designed by Gary Mull and much more racy in concept than the original.

My take is that it will be more fun to sail once you get the hang of it, but not as amenable to overniters or weekend cruises and likely more expensive to buy second hand (that's a guess). Still a reasonable choice IMO, depending on just how you end up wanting to use her.

Have a good time in the learning process... I sure did, way back when...

Jim
Old 08-01-2021, 18:38   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Given the chance, and nice weather, I'd consider sailing a Catalina 22 to the Bahamas. Have fun with whatever you end up finding and buying!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 19:09   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

You have your head screwed on straight. You will get the experience to select the type of cruising you want and the skills to do it. Kudos!
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:51   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

We are learn differently, but I'm thinking that little Capri 22 might be a lot more fun than the old original Catalina 22.

It's light enough and quick enough to make it exciting and since you Mr. OP are still relatively young I'm thinking that boat would be fine for a starter.

It's definitely a lot quicker that the original.

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

I learned on Beach Cats which are tons quicker than the Capri 22.

If you are worried at all, just sail at first on light wind days.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 16:44   #7
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Great choice!

They sail these things way out into the bay.
u've been great help. ty.
Old 09-01-2021, 17:06   #8
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
full, the advice and experience that I offered upthread relative to a Cat 22 was related to the original design. The Capri is quite a different boat.
if i buy used, then which ever is in good condition will be the one - could be old or new design, who knows. if i go with a new one, well, i won't be able to choose then.
i picked capri as it has fin keel. it also comes with wing, but i want fin. the other 22 is called sport nowadays, it has centerboard keel. it has some other different features that i haven't grown interest in yet. maybe the sport is more like the old design, i don't know - i'll check.
i said capri, because if i decide to buy it new, that would be the one.
thanks, man for ur time and help.
Old 09-01-2021, 17:10   #9
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Given the chance, and nice weather, I'd consider sailing a Catalina 22 to the Bahamas. Have fun with whatever you end up finding and buying!
could end up being a one way trip.
thanks man for ur kind wishes. i cannot wait; covid has slowed us.
Old 09-01-2021, 17:17   #10
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
You have your head screwed on straight. You will get the experience to select the type of cruising you want and the skills to do it. Kudos!
thank you. i do that a lot. when i was buying my car, i considered miatas, challengers, wranglers, mustangs; my mind was all over the place. i drove the sales people insane. eventually, i bought a corolla - the best decision i've ever made.
Old 09-01-2021, 17:25   #11

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I've had my Catalina 22 for several years now. It's an 85 model and in good shape.

We are trying to wear out the lakes around here but haven't yet! We've also taken her to the gulf of Mexico and the Florida Keys. I highly recommend the Keys. The Bahamas are high on our list but not sure when.

A close couple can cruise in a 22 if you are very friendly! It's almost like backpacking it's so spartan.

Thx-Ace
Old 09-01-2021, 17:30   #12
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
We are learn differently, but I'm thinking that little Capri 22 might be a lot more fun than the old original Catalina 22.

It's light enough and quick enough to make it exciting and since you Mr. OP are still relatively young I'm thinking that boat would be fine for a starter.
'young.' i don't hear that word that much lately, u made my day.
Capri has everything i want. i think it also has racing upgrades. i can start slow, and when need for speed comes into the picture, it will still keep me smiling.
as of right now, i'm looking for a 17ft aliminium canoe with sponsons to build my outrigger sailboat. this site has given me new ideas. https://www.sailboatstogo.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluGY5pmQ7gIVBODACh3MtAu0EAAYASA AEgIBu_D_BwE
Old 09-01-2021, 17:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post

A close couple can cruise in a 22 if you are very friendly! It's almost like backpacking it's so spartan.

Like Jim & Ann we started on SF Bay with a C22 for five years, trailed to Clear Lake for summers, and stayed on board those weekend summers, plus long weekends.

We used the pop top and built the classic C22 bigger bed trick.

Great boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 17:59   #14

Boat: Hunter 170

Nothing wrong with a cat 22 but you might want to also have a something like the Sunfish.

Depending on how it is to get on the water. If you run across a Sunfish cheap it can be a lot of fun and you will learn a lot.

The nice thing about the Sunfish is it can be quick to get in the water and get out sailing. This depends on where you are located and other stuff. I joined a yacht club because it has a youth program for my kids. You can keep a Sunfish on a cart and there is a quick ramp to get it in the water. Fast in fast out maximizing time on the water. May not work for you but if you look around the sunfish can be had for a few hundred so it is a cheap added option.

I have a 17' hunter and the future may hold a C22 as a next step.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 15:08   #15
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
i have to say gotta have to be a 'very' close couple.
thnx for sharing this, man. u give me hope.

Tags
capri, catalina