Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2024, 19:50   #1

Catalina 22 mk-2 1996 mast wiring question

Hi all on several sites I have learned that there is a dimple next to the mast step where if you drill a 3/4 hole you can find wiring for the mast lights(steaming mast deck)however I have drilled a hole down about 2 in found a void but there is no wiring visible is anyone done this and know how far down I need to drill? The void is really only about a half inch deep. Anyone ever done this on a Catalina 22…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240527_200419.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	290351  
Scouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:18   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Catalina 22 mk-2 1996 mast wiring question

Haven’t done it but welcome aboard here anyway scouper!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:42   #3

Re: Catalina 22 mk-2 1996 mast wiring question

I have learned more since, and solved this.
1. C-22 MK-II 1996 does NOT have wire in in the hull for mast lights, older models had this, not this boat.
2. The "dimple" where I drilled the hole (photo) is in the correct place, and enters the cabin in the ceiling, right above a rectangular plastic cover directly beside the compression post.
3. The plastic cover (which slides on the compression post) serves as a box to hide the wire.
4. The wire can be run from the battery, behind the bench of the boat, across a channel in the floor, and then up inside through the compression post (steel in this boat) which has a notch in the top, and out the ceiling box up to the outlet plug on the deck. It's very clean, no surface conduit or channel needed.
4. This is the same path that the existing wiring for the cabin overhead light is run.
5. This job requires the mast being down, as it means unscrewing and removing the compression post in order to fish the new wire through it for the mast lighting.
6. The overhead light must be disconnected during the job as well.

I have it all open, and I have the new outlet installed on the deck, and the mast is all wired and has the male end of the outlet ready to go. I have marine grade fourplex wire to run from the battery up the mast outlet, as described above, and hopefully will have it installed shortly without any hitches.

The real PITA actually has been wiring the the outlet, and getting the four wires lined up and tightened in the brass compression fitting (Cataline Direct kit). Pro tip, strip the wire a good 6 inches back from the wire jacket so you have extra room to bend the wires individually into the fitting, so the wires can move independently.

Thanks!
Scouper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, mast, wiring