Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 11:54   #16

Boat: O'Day 26
Re: Catalina 25 vs Cape Dory 25

I am not sure exactly what boat tomm225 attached to his message, but it definitely is not a Cape Dory 25 or 25D, or 27 for that matter; possibly a CD28? I would agree with those stating the CD25 and CD25D (this being the better choice if just for the Yanmar diesel alone) are much better constructed boats than the Catalina, but probably lack the interior space of the Catalina 25. I suspect you would have to go up to at least the CD27 to get as much interior cabin space as the Catalina 25. The Cape Dory is of like "bullet proof" quality build, but probably not necessary if primary use is coastal sailing. I particularly like the forward head in place of V-berth in the CD25, but also believe you would be happier with the CD27 for interior space alone. Again, no comparison between the build quality - if you are contemplating any serious offshore cruising go with the Cape Dory! If not, I would think your Catalina 25 would serve you just fine. GOOD LUCK
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:01   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideTime View Post
I am not sure exactly what boat tomm225 attached to his message, but it definitely is not a Cape Dory 25 or 25D, or 27 for that matter; possibly a CD28? I would agree with those stating the CD25 and CD25D (this being the better choice if just for the Yanmar diesel alone) are much better constructed boats than the Catalina, but probably lack the interior space of the Catalina 25. I suspect you would have to go up to at least the CD27 to get as much interior cabin space as the Catalina 25. The Cape Dory is of like "bullet proof" quality build, but probably not necessary if primary use is coastal sailing. I particularly like the forward head in place of V-berth in the CD25, but also believe you would be happier with the CD27 for interior space alone. Again, no comparison between the build quality - if you are contemplating any serious offshore cruising go with the Cape Dory! If not, I would think your Catalina 25 would serve you just fine. GOOD LUCK
The CD25 is the boat on the right with the blue bottom paint. I was saying it was next to my boat (the main boat in the photo a Bristol 27) when I was in the yard a year or so back.

I just wish I had gotten more of it in the picture....for this thread.

That CD25 is a pretty small boat

Btw, here is a whole list of boats similar to the CD25-28 and some good advice.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:05   #18

Boat: O'Day 26

OK thomm225 that makes sense. Yes, you are absolutely correct the CD 25 & CD25D have very limited interior space; very well built boats but small.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 01:02   #19

Boat: Island Packet 29

I took ASA 101 last summer in Kemah Then was chartering a Catalina 28 tall rig to learn on in Galveston Bay for a few months. In January I bought a Cape Dory 28. I never realized how much I hated that Catalina 28 till I sailed the Cape Dory 28. The Cape Dory feels so much better and way easier to sail. The CD is not as fast or nimble in the marina and you can forget going in reverse. But I like it way better.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 20:48   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

CD 25 for sale.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...171230744.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 15:16   #21

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I took ASA 101 last summer in Kemah Then was chartering a Catalina 28 tall rig to learn on in Galveston Bay for a few months. In January I bought a Cape Dory 28. I never realized how much I hated that Catalina 28 till I sailed the Cape Dory 28. The Cape Dory feels so much better and way easier to sail. The CD is not as fast or nimble in the marina and you can forget going in reverse. But I like it way better.
I found a Cape Dory 25D on Lk Superior with a cradle and trailered it to Kemah (Clear Lake). The trip was long (and white knuckled on occasion) but I really like the CD25D. It's also nice having a inboard diesel versus reaching over the transom while steering into a slip.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, catalina