Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2024, 10:27   #1

Catalina 27 mainsail traveller

Greetings

My 1981 Catalina has an aft traveler. The wood block it is mounted on is severely rotted. I plan on removing it next week.

What should I replace it with? It appears wider in thickness on the ends or curved. Should I be thinking teak, or some sort of polycarbonate? If so, is there some sort of template guide available for the piece? Or if anyone knows a source for a replacement, please share. I am in the Annapolis area and have already checked Anchors & Oars, thanks.
dblhelix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 12:33   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Catalina 27 mainsail traveller

The wood is likley curved to follow the conturs of the aft end of the cockpit such that the teraveler track stays flat.

I would carefully measure the piece of wood every 6" or so such that you can create a template or other wise be able to trace a smooth curve so when the wood is cut the contours are the same.

what type of wood... you could g back with a dense wood like teak, or you could go with some sort of a composite I would imagine. I though A and O has quite the supply of used teak.

If they don't have the right size single piece you could always epoxy pieces together and then trim to fit.

Your gonna have to get the jigsaw or band saw out and practice those wood working skills

I'd likely opt for a composite option.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 15:24   #3

I'm somewhat handy with fiberglass, so I would second Marc's suggestion to favor a composite solution. If your handier with wood, there's nothing wrong with that - just more maintenance.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 15:58   #4

I haven't been in a Cat27 for years and years, maybe since 1981 :-)!

But as I recall, she has a thwartships "seat" moulded into the aft end of the cockpit, 'cept it doesn't work as a seat 'cos the traveler is mounted there. There is no thwartships curvature to it is there?

If its flat, no problem. If it's curved, no problem. A thinnish piece of teak, say 1/2" since it's only there for the cosmetic reasons will take that amount of flex, no problem. Any wood will do really.

But the upward pull of the sheet will be so strong that you MUST use through fastenings, right through the fibreglas with fender washers and nut under. Wood screws or self-tappers WON'T do the job!!!

The trick will be to get into the "lazarette" under the seat to get at the fastenings. You MUST use through-fastenings in this application. Fastenings, (S/S machine screws that go right the way through the fibreglass, must have solid "fender washers" (washers of large diameter) under the fibreglass.

All the best :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, mainsail, sail