Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 22:52   #1

catalina 27 sails

long story short i have a 1979 catalina 27 tall rig that i bought for 1000$ about a year and a half ago. ive since gutted it and have been rebuilding it, including new reinforced bulkheads, reinforced shrouds, reinforced deck hardware, restitched the dodger, propane cook range, propane furnace, holding tank, replumbed that boat, ball valve thruhulls, reinforce lifelines, radar pole, new batteries, new bottom paint, furler, spectra/amsteel running rigging, adjustable back stay, refastned and rebedded all the deck hardware, and much much much more, and because i work at a boatyard and am a marine diesel mechanic, i have a huge yard at my inventory and i might have 1200$ into the boat, so, its been a long and fun project and should make for a great cruising boat for washington, bc, and alaska, which is where i plan on going, being in the san juans, i already live in prime teritory

anyway

the issue with my boat, is that i only got 2 sails. i got a main and i think the 110% genoa, but because i have a furler and the winds here are so unpredictable, i WAS going to buy a sail from Peak Sails called the Generator, however, the more i read about it, the worst the idea became.

my boat is a tall rig, so sails can be a little trickier to come by.

anyway the reason why that generator sail looked like it had it potential was because i have a spare halyard and that sail was free flying, no hanks or anything and the closest thing i can find that might be suitable is a cruising code zero but i cant find much.

the reason why i think that sail would be great is because where i am at, we have alot of islands and wind that will have you drifting in 3-5kts on the backside of some island, only to get hit by 20+kts on the other side and get knocked down, but if i can have something that is easy to put up and take down quickly so the jib can be unfurled, that would be great.

getting a furling cruising genoa might work too but i had a 170% on my last boat, non furling, but that sail could become waaaay too much really really quickly, and i dont know how well my furler works with bigger loads

but the absolute last thing i want to be doing is swapping out headsails by myself.... while i have a crewmember, she has zero experiance so, her job will just be to keep the boat into the wind

i figure a small headsail on the furler is a safe bet and an easy to dump light air sail....

maybe i should just get a big genny....

opinions?
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:21   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: catalina 27 sails

Looks like Bacon Sails has 3 used roller furling jibs/genoas as large as 159%. ($380 - $850 for a mylar)

You can research more though on their site for Catalina 27 TM (tall mast) jibs/genoas

https://baconsails.com/bacon/select_sailboat_API.php
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 21:37   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: catalina 27 sails

Bacon is a good resource. Where are you? Minney's in Costa Mesa is also good. So, is this "generator" anything like a Gennaker? It sounds to me that is the kind of thing you may be looking for and then the 110 you already have is a good all-around headsail size. I'd like to get one too, to round out my collection for more power off the wind, since we too get light airs here.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, sail, sails