Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 13:22   #1

Boat: 1976 North American 23
Catalina 30 Mast Step Compressed

I am shopping for a Catalina 30. I looked at a 1988 model that has about 1/8" to 1/4" depression where the mast step has compressed. Whatever I buy I will have surveyed. The yard where it was repaired cut out the area below the floor behind the compression post, jacked it up a little and added a teak block(supposedly) underneath and reglassed the area. This scares me a little bit. My question is if this is a common problem on Catalina 30's, and is this a proper repair? There are no evident cracks in the gelcoat around the mast base.
Thanks
North23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 13:40   #2

Boat: Cascade
I have never heard of it but was the compression post rotten? If they added a block wouldn't that make the distance between the Keel and the mast step longer??

Heres a link to another article Mast Compression Post Repair - Ranger 33
Old 06-10-2009, 13:53   #3

I think the boat may have suffered some type of physical damage. I just do not know what is below the compression post. And I wouldn't know without cutting the repair area at the base of the post back open. My problem is that if they went through the trouble of cutting it open and installing a block below the post, why is the compression still evident at the base of the mast up on deck? I am just trying to find out as much as I can about Catalina's. I am patient and do not necessarily need to buy this particular boat. I just want a Catalina 30 and am wondering if a repair like this should be a deal breaker or at least be grounds for more intense price negotiations. Thanks again
Old 06-10-2009, 14:04   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Am aware of a boat that had some similiar problem. His was caused by coming in a shallow inlet in swells. He was picked up and dropped repeatedly on the keel. Came in with loose rigging. Would have to wonder what damage wasn't evident to hull, keel etc..
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:07   #5

Boat: Cascade
I think this could be a very big deal. Its not like a motor you could negotiate and replace, or a set of new sails.

Lots of Catalinas out there.... check a Catalina site.. there must be a bunch of them
I wouldn't buy it.
Old 06-10-2009, 14:54   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
That doesn't sound like a legitimate repair. It sounds like an attempt at a repair that didn't work out right. Catalinas are usually pretty well made boats so obviously this one has been put through the wringer. Could be delam or rot just under the mast step because of freshwater intrusion and a combination of over tightening the rig.
As was said. There are a lot more Catalinas out there and I'd not mess with this one unless it was a giveaway price and you were willing to work on it.
regards,
Old 06-10-2009, 16:38   #7

Thank you all for taking time to reply. Like I said I am patient and in no rush to buy. I just like to learn all I can before doing something. Again thanks for the replies.
Old 10-10-2009, 23:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
That doesn't sound like a legitimate repair. It sounds like an attempt at a repair that didn't work out right. Catalinas are usually pretty well made boats so obviously this one has been put through the wringer. Could be delam or rot just under the mast step because of freshwater intrusion and a combination of over tightening the rig.
As was said. There are a lot more Catalinas out there and I'd not mess with this one unless it was a giveaway price and you were willing to work on it.
regards,
I agree completely. A proper repair would not leave a depression in the deck at the mast step. I'd pass on this boat unless they are giving it away.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, mast