Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 12:13   #16

Re: Catalina 30 smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Incorrect, sir. The Catalina 30 smile is indeed at the hull/keel line, which is not where your diagram puts it, but where the issue in question appears in the OP photos.

I've repaired that (small crack) on my own C30TR, as well as on C&C and others. Our Legend was really bad, but tightening the bolts and filling took care of it.

I'd want to see more photos before passing a real judgement. Whole keel, front, back, closer of the area previously shown.

OP's second photo has a round area that's been painted over- what's this???

Also, the compression post base is a known problem on the C30s, particularly early C30s. If it's been replaced, I'd want to know with what, and if it's held up; you'd have to cut that out to get to it. Also check the deck to see if it's compressed at the mast step, and if there are any cracks.
Well, I have actually seen the "smile" shaped crack in a hull, due to flex from grounding. It is indeed smile shaped and in the hull aft of the keel , not in the stub.
However I wont go as far to say the keel stub/bolt on keel line doesn't separate, it surely does on many boats not just Catalina's! SO not sure why people would only call it a 'smile' on Cat's.
I can see where the word is now used describing keel separation.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:18   #17

OP: Here is a keel separation on a Cat 30. I can't quite tell from your pic, but it seems like all you are seeing is typical ballast separation line. Note the corroded keel bolt in the other picture.
Maybe you are best to drop the keel and clean things up. Catalina sells a 'keel bolt renewal kit' which is supposedly an upgrade from original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KeelBolts.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	252743  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:59   #18

Catalina Smile is not limited to just the 30. While disconcerting many Catalinas and other boats suffer this issue. If it is just the smile (I can't tell for sure from just the pic) then it is a fixable problem and not a real reason to fret. That said, it would give me enough angst that I would pass, as irrational as that is (and I own a Catalina 36).

Water in the bilge is more likely from rainwater coming down the mast. There is a hole between to two forwardmost keel bolts where you can see the water come in on a really rainy day.

There is also a very active Catalina Owner's forum where you can get advice and ongoing support for things as they come up.

If this is Catalina Smile, it can be repaired and then appropriately painted and you would not know it was ever there. That said, the seller should have done the appropriate repairs at last haul out/or first haul out after it occurred. Feel free to PM me with any direct questions.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:18   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, I have actually seen the "smile" shaped crack in a hull, due to flex from grounding.
Well that's nothing to smile about!

The historical use of Catalina Smile refers to the keel separation line, specifically the front because that's where it typically starts. It can start at the rear of the keel, but then just looks like a crack, there's no smile.

If I already owned the boat I'd patch it and give it a year to see what happens. But this question is about a bought to be purchased, so it is definitely worth being surveyed. Note OPs photos the bolts look OK...then look at Cheechako's photo...those bolts also had looked fine when the keel was attached because the dangerous rot was hidden.

The #1 source of water in the C30 bilge is rainwater via the lazarettes. That is, if it's rainy where you are. The #2 source is the stuffing box. The C30 bilge is a wet bilge- there is nothing to stop the seawater coming from the stuffing box from getting to the keel bolts. If that happens to be saltwater, that's not good. And, since people don't like to sponge out their bilge everyday, ocean boats often have standing saltwater on the keel bolts.

So, for OP, it's not possible to determine from the photos if it's common, patch-it-up Catalina Smile or if it's the end of the boat's life.
Old 11-02-2022, 20:16   #20

Well everyone, after survey, and attempting to get a lower price on the boat due to the smile and a couple other items, the owner was unwilling to budge from the pre-negotiated price. I will be passing and continuing the search!

Even though I had to spend the money on the survey and haul-out to discover this, it feels like money well spent.

And FYI the round outlined area in one of the original photos was a "misrepaired through hull fitting for an old transducer" according to the survey.

Thanks for all the responses
Jetfuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30