Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 17:23   #16

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: Catalina 400 MKII stiff steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If one rudder stock is bent, you would typically feel the steering tightens and loosens progressively as you turn one wheel as the stock moves. As you don’t say it acts as such, it’s not a bent rudder stock.

It’s the cable tension -a simple fix.
The boat has 2 wheels, 1 rudder.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 17:42   #17

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I have a Catalina Morgan 381 that had the same issue. When I bought the boat it had the rudder rebuilt. The yard did not replace the packing at that time. The next year I dropped rudder and replaced packing but to make it go back together I had to put in 5 rings. The nut would bottom out with less. Still stiff Edson talked me into replacing cables and housing for a cost of $1200 for parts. Did not help. I took auto pilot arm off and lowered rudder on the hard and smeared Teflon lube on shaft and it’s much better. With autopilot hooked up it makes it a little stiffer but better than it was. I’ll have to see if it lasts. If the cables have housing it cannot have grease used to lube. It has to be Teflon lube per Edson. Grease eats the lining of housing making it gum up.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
I have a Catalina Morgan 381 that had the same issue. When I bought the boat it had the rudder rebuilt. The yard did not replace the packing at that time. The next year I dropped rudder and replaced packing but to make it go back together I had to put in 5 rings. The nut would bottom out with less. Still stiff Edson talked me into replacing cables and housing for a cost of $1200 for parts. Did not help. I took auto pilot arm off and lowered rudder on the hard and smeared Teflon lube on shaft and it’s much better. With autopilot hooked up it makes it a little stiffer but better than it was. I’ll have to see if it lasts. If the cables have housing it cannot have grease used to lube. It has to be Teflon lube per Edson. Grease eats the lining of housing making it gum up.
The cables are naked on the C400
Old 27-05-2019, 18:05   #19

The issue is the OP is having a survey done and the issue can only be evaluated visually.
Old 27-05-2019, 18:29   #20

Boat: Hunter 1993 33.5

The boat is a difficult 6-7 hour drive away and has a very small airport so getting there and back is a mission. Not really keen on taking on a big and very important repair like that in a place where I cannot personally ensure that the job is well done. I’m a little paranoid I know, I’ve been burned a few times...

I’m also thinking that a bit that has been grounded hard enough to bend the rudder stock might also have some hidden damage around the keel-stub. The aft end of the wing keel on a C400 looks like it might be nearly a ft or so further aft than the end of the keel stub.

In the event of a grounding serious enough to bend the rudder stock, I’m thinking this will give quite a bit of mechanical advantage to the sea bottom pushing upwards on the aft end of the wing. This will try and open a “smile” at the front of the keel/stub and much worse, push the aft end of the keel stub “into” the bottom of the hull. This could be difficult to see but can eventually lead to de-lamination and major problems.

If we find any evidence of a bent rudder stock at the survey I’m walking away and looking for another 400...
LeGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:34   #21

Boat: Hunter 1993 33.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If one rudder stock is bent, you would typically feel the steering tightens and loosens progressively as you turn one wheel as the stock moves. As you don’t say it acts as such, it’s not a bent rudder stock.

It’s the cable tension -a simple fix.
Really hope you’re right. I love the boat...
LeGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:57   #22

I bought a used boat with stiff steering that I knew I would have to deal with. Turns out the previous owner had made a grounding, hitting the spade rudder.
The stainless steel tube rudder stock had bent slightly and turned to an oval at the bend. He had the rudder removed and the bulged part on either side of the tube at the bend were ground down in an effort to make the shaft round again and the shaft straightened, but it wasn't perfectly round.
The first time I hauled the boat after sailing it for several thousand miles to my home port, I pulled the rudder and shaft and cut the old rudder apart and rebuilt it with a new shaft. Now I have very light steering.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54   #23

LeGe,
did end up purchasing? We're looking at buying the same model. Wondering how this ended up for you. Mahalo from Oahu.
kiteboarder808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, steering