Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 20:03   #1

Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Thinking of buying one of these 3 boats, mainly for Chesapeake Bay and often single handing. Definitely want in mast furling. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.
Skipp Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 04:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Island packet is going to be the most comfortable, but least fun to sail. Catalina's are more fun to sail, but not as stoutly built as an island piglet...
Old 20-06-2013, 05:53   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

I have owned three Catalina Sailboats, a C27, C36 and my current one a C470.

Any boat can be single handed with the right modifications.

As far as comparing a Catalina to an Island Packet I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

The boats are very different... The most obvious difference is Catalina sailboats are fin or wing keels, the Island Packet is a full or modified keel, adding more weight to the vessel. This means slower speeds in the Island Packet, but a better ride in rough seas.

The two Catalina designs you are looking at, in my opinion were not designed for long term cruising straight from the factory, but do well once modified. The Island Packet is, including more water and diesel tankage than those Catalinas.

IMHO, the newer Catalina Sailboats are built well and will handle most anything you throw at them. I just completed 33 months cruising on my boat with over 9500 NM logged. The boat performed very well!

If you are going to use the boat mostly for weekend stuff, I would suggest a Catalina. It will maneuver better in close quarters, have more cabin room, be considerably faster (Motor or Sail) and in generally will be cheaper to maintain.

They also have large owners groups with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 11:53   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Island packet is going to be the most comfortable, but least fun to sail. Catalina's are more fun to sail, but not as stoutly built as an island piglet...

OUCH have you looked at or read about the serious issues IP boats have with their tanks AND their chain plates..............

stoutly built NOT

stoutly promoted and marketed OH YES....

caveat emptor
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:39   #5

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

For coastal cruising, I happen to think the Catalina 400 is the best boat out there. No boat is perfect, and certainly I wouldn't want to be on a long offshore passage on one. But, it's a GREAT boat for what it's designed to do: a cockpit that will party 15 that you can walk into, decent sailing, decent draft, a centerline aft palace (with an aft cockpit!), a decent guest stateroom. Really, a fabulously designed boat. All in 40 feet (going to 41+ gets expensive, quickly).

Comparing it to an IP is like comparing a car to a pickup. Designed for different things.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 04:34   #6

If you aren't buying new- Buy the boat with the better prior owner. The one who maintained, equipped, labelled and generally over-invested.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:33   #7

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Agree largely with this...buy the boat with the best set of electronics and newest sails that seems to be well kept..

though catalina and IP begs the question why just them?.. within that range of hull forms/cabin space lay a huge number of very interesting boats... for Cheasapeake though..look to shallow draft.

although its so common for folks to toot their own vessle, for sure certainly i would buy a Sabre 38 again... to me the very best balance of comfort/speed/looks/layout/storage/tankage/draft/length and outstanding build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
If you aren't buying new- Buy the boat with the better prior owner. The one who maintained, equipped, labelled and generally over-invested.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 05:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I have owned three Catalina Sailboats, a C27, C36 and my current one a C470.

Any boat can be single handed with the right modifications.

As far as comparing a Catalina to an Island Packet I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

The boats are very different... The most obvious difference is Catalina sailboats are fin or wing keels, the Island Packet is a full or modified keel, adding more weight to the vessel. This means slower speeds in the Island Packet, but a better ride in rough seas.

The two Catalina designs you are looking at, in my opinion were not designed for long term cruising straight from the factory, but do well once modified. The Island Packet is, including more water and diesel tankage than those Catalinas.

IMHO, the newer Catalina Sailboats are built well and will handle most anything you throw at them. I just completed 33 months cruising on my boat with over 9500 NM logged. The boat performed very well!

If you are going to use the boat mostly for weekend stuff, I would suggest a Catalina. It will maneuver better in close quarters, have more cabin room, be considerably faster (Motor or Sail) and in generally will be cheaper to maintain.

They also have large owners groups with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. About what I was expecting but just wanted to take advantage of your experience. Looking at several C400s now and they look like the most boat for the money and best suited for mostly Chesapeake Bay use.
Old 26-06-2013, 05:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Thanks! Life is too short to not have fun!
Old 26-06-2013, 05:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
For coastal cruising, I happen to think the Catalina 400 is the best boat out there. No boat is perfect, and certainly I wouldn't want to be on a long offshore passage on one. But, it's a GREAT boat for what it's designed to do: a cockpit that will party 15 that you can walk into, decent sailing, decent draft, a centerline aft palace (with an aft cockpit!), a decent guest stateroom. Really, a fabulously designed boat. All in 40 feet (going to 41+ gets expensive, quickly).

Comparing it to an IP is like comparing a car to a pickup. Designed for different things.
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for your comments.
Old 26-06-2013, 05:45   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Buy the boat that YOU like!
Old 26-06-2013, 10:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
OUCH have you looked at or read about the serious issues IP boats have with their tanks AND their chain plates..............

stoutly built NOT

stoutly promoted and marketed OH YES....

caveat emptor
Arg! I just bought my IP460 recently and now find out from you its a piece of crap!
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina