Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 16:11   #16

Re: Catalina 42

Ha! No! But this F’n thread appears everywhere when researching a C42 & it was obviously written by a biased armchair sailor. The C42 Mk2 is a baller vessel - that’s all.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAway View Post
Not sure what your purpose in owning a C42 is, but will guess you wish to cruise some distance with it.

The C42 does what it was designed and built for very well. It is a nice daysailing and weekending boat for protected waters. The 3 cabin version works for those attempting to jam casual guests aboard for an overnight. It does not do much more than this.

The layout of the tri-cabin/ pullman berth version of the boat limits any available stowage space and makes this a very poor liveaboard boat. Having two cabins aft makes for two SMALL cabins and NO storage space in that area. The pullman may be attractive from one point of view, placing the head in the forepeak makes it pretty much useless underway and in a rolly anchorage. The pullman berth is smaller than the vee berth version. Not sure about ventilation.

Further to the tri-cabin layout, if I remember correctly, the position of the nav sta in the forward part of the salon makes it pretty much useless as well. You would generally not route many of the electronics from there and certainly will not be talking to the helmsman from there.

I personally find the dinette settee arrangement to also be a poor choice for a long distance cruiser. Most cruisers do not spend any time sitting down at the dinner table. They are more likely to wedge themselves into a cozy spot with their legs up and lounge. Longer, straight settees or L shaped settees facilitate this, not the design of the C42.

Finally, there have been a few reports of C42's being sailed offshore (not many). Several reports by delivery skippers have indicated that these boats 'work' in a seaway. The bulkheads ...at least in one such report...came lose and moved somewhat. The hull does not seem to be stiff enough for most offshore work, even a jaunt to the islands. This of course could be anecdotal...just a few boats amoung many happier customers...hard to tell with so few used offshore.

The C42 is a price boat designed and constructed for the average sailor ...a sailor who will use her carefully and sparingly.

Just an opinion, but do some real due diligence before diving in. In boating, you usually get what you pay for.
No idea as to the motivation, but this response is 100% BS.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 15:30   #18

Stupid response- I know this is an ancient thread. Please disregard this idiot. They’re overbuilt & have the miles to prove it.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:40   #19

Boat: Catalina 42

I have one. It handles heavy weather very well. It is not a Westsail 42 by a longshot but I like it.
colinhulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhulse View Post
I have one. It handles heavy weather very well. It is not a Westsail 42 by a longshot but I like it.
Thanks for the reply~ the more I sail and learn from people who do, everything comes down to hull design, well maintained systems & seamanship- She’s a great live aboard as well!
Old 18-07-2021, 15:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAway View Post
Not sure what your purpose in owning a C42 is, but will guess you wish to cruise some distance with it.

The C42 does what it was designed and built for very well. It is a nice daysailing and weekending boat for protected waters. The 3 cabin version works for those attempting to jam casual guests aboard for an overnight. It does not do much more than this.

The layout of the tri-cabin/ pullman berth version of the boat limits any available stowage space and makes this a very poor liveaboard boat. Having two cabins aft makes for two SMALL cabins and NO storage space in that area. The pullman may be attractive from one point of view, placing the head in the forepeak makes it pretty much useless underway and in a rolly anchorage. The pullman berth is smaller than the vee berth version. Not sure about ventilation.

Further to the tri-cabin layout, if I remember correctly, the position of the nav sta in the forward part of the salon makes it pretty much useless as well. You would generally not route many of the electronics from there and certainly will not be talking to the helmsman from there.

I personally find the dinette settee arrangement to also be a poor choice for a long distance cruiser. Most cruisers do not spend any time sitting down at the dinner table. They are more likely to wedge themselves into a cozy spot with their legs up and lounge. Longer, straight settees or L shaped settees facilitate this, not the design of the C42.

Finally, there have been a few reports of C42's being sailed offshore (not many). Several reports by delivery skippers have indicated that these boats 'work' in a seaway. The bulkheads ...at least in one such report...came lose and moved somewhat. The hull does not seem to be stiff enough for most offshore work, even a jaunt to the islands. This of course could be anecdotal...just a few boats amoung many happier customers...hard to tell with so few used offshore.

The C42 is a price boat designed and constructed for the average sailor ...a sailor who will use her carefully and sparingly.

Just an opinion, but do some real due diligence before diving in. In boating, you usually get what you pay for.
I
I know this is an ancient thread- but this is pure nonsense. The C42 is a solidly built, EXTREMELY comfortable live aboard - 3 years now from personal experience- not this jack ass who was bloviating from a LazyBoy- and has handled snotty weather aplenty offshore. If you’re in the market for a live aboard cruiser, the C42 is a remarkable vessel. Rob Moulthrop, Hull 707.

Tags
catalina