Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:21   #151

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Catalina or Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Oh yeah. And really it don't bother us sailors much. The Apostle Islands Offshore Powerboat club runs a few events every year and we get 3,000 hp Douglas Skaters, and you name it, that come to run in the event.

APOSTLE ISLANDS FUN RUN 2012 - YouTube
Here in the Chesapeake Bay it don't both us sailors when we have to motor home after having sailed over to Kiptopeke to fish (and get away from the city life) We get everything out of our 5hp Mercury Longshaft Outboards that we can (even when we are overreving them for no reason)

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 13:14   #152

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here in the Chesapeake Bay it don't both us sailors when we have to motor home
thomm225, what I was saying is that the powerboaters have never cut us off or done anything that causes a hazard. They know that sailboats under sail have right of way and for the most part are courteous. I know that there's some that do things that aren't good, just like there's drivers on the road that do things. But when we get passed by a powerboater running with the throttles on the pegs we wave and they wave, and we enjoy the sound of their big blocks when they go by, and don't get all bent out of shape over it. They're having just as much fun as we are, and we've been there done the powerboating thing so it doesn't bother us.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 14:12   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And what do you now think about powerboats going by with a 150' roostertail?
Hey CruisingCouple guy, that was sailboy1's quote. We locals in my part of the world growing up did not use sailboats anymore. (the watermen/crabbers had all switched from Skipjacks to powerboats years before) Plus the water in most of the creeks is too shallow. Only decent creek with any depth is Onancock.

My first 6 or 7 boats were all old beat up powerboats. I have nothing against'm. I've been enjoying fishing so much off the old Bristol since I've been back up here that I went over to look at this boat just before Christmas. Unfortunately they were closing for the holidays.

2005 Key West 196 Bay Reef with Yamaha and trailer

I'm thinking that 4 stroke Yamaha 115 will be much better on fuel than the old 2 strokes I had back in the day. However though, I did have a 4 stroke 55hp Homelite outboard in the 70's that was total awesome on fuel. I did have to replace the lower O ring seal though at the base of the engine. We had to pull off the whole power head.

Homelite

In the early 1960's Homelite developed a derivative of the Crosley engine into a successful 4-stroke outboard engine. They increased the displacement of the cast iron block to almost 60-cubic-inches, enabling the engine to be rated at 55-HP at 5500 RPM. All the outstanding features of the Crosley engine were retained, like the integral cylinder heads, which eliminate any potential problems due to head gasket failure, the precise bevel-gear-driven overhead cam, which eliminates timing variations from belt sloppiness, the extra strong five main bearing balanced steel crankshaft, and the lightweight aluminum crankcase casting, aluminum valve covers, and aluminum oil pan.
The Homelite 4-stroke outboard was years ahead of its time, but its marketing was limited by the lack of a recreational marine dealer network. By 1966 it had caught the attention of Dick Fisher, probably by being used on the transom of his own Boston Whaler, and Homelite agreed to sell their outboard manufacturing to Fisher Pierce.
Old 03-01-2014, 14:31   #154

Quote:
I'm thinking that 4 stroke Yamaha 115 will be much better on fuel than the old 2 strokes I had back in the day.
I think the 4-strokes are better. I know that one thing I will miss with our new boat is the outboard. A lot of people don't like them. But our Hunter 22 has a Evinrude Yachtwin on it and it serves as a backup rudder as well as propulsion when not under sail. The little thing is a two-stroke and you can motor all day at hull speed with the H22 on 3 gallons of gas - and it charges the battery at 6 amps while it's doing it.

Our Legend 37 has a big ugly reverse transom on it so it's about impossible to have one on it. Otherwise I'd mount one on the stern on a swing up bracket just to have it for emergency power and emergency rudder. I'm partial to tiller boats and this wheel boat is a new thing that I'm not sure I like yet.
Old 03-01-2014, 14:39   #155

Quote:
I think the 4-strokes are better. I know that one thing I will miss with our new boat is the outboard. A lot of people don't like them. But our Hunter 22 has a Evinrude Yachtwin on it and it serves as a backup rudder as well as propulsion when not under sail. The little thing is a two-stroke and you can motor all day at hull speed with the H22 on 3 gallons of gas - and it charges the battery at 6 amps while it's doing it.

Our Legend 37 has a big ugly reverse transom on it so it's about impossible to have one on it. Otherwise I'd mount one on the stern on a swing up bracket just to have it for emergency power and emergency rudder. I'm partial to tiller boats and this wheel boat is a new thing that I'm not sure I like yet.
I was looking at a boat last night. After all my posts on the speedy catamarans I remembered an Ericson 36 that had a PHRF rating of 108 as compared to my Bristol at 240. Looking at the pictures though, the wheel took up nearly the whole back area of the cockpit so I knew I couldn't deal with that plus I raced for about 8-10 months out of the year for nearly 10 years while in Florida which is probably enough.

Anyway speaking of tillers, I'd really like to get this boat if I don't go for that Key West fishing boat (I can always fish from the dinghy) but as usual with sailboats there's always a compromise. It has a Saildrive:

1983 Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And btw, I can cross the 17-18 miles of bay with my 5hp 4 stroke mercury on a little over a gallon of fuel at speeds of 3-6 knots depending on current and whether or not I can get a boost from the sails. The trip is usually a bit over 3 hours depending. Boat weight is 6600lbs. I can usually get a total take me all the way in to the channel autopilot set at about 10 miles out which is where I can see the Navy HoverCraft Port.
Old 03-01-2014, 14:41   #156

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:

So convert to tiller. I did and will never go back. You have a partially balanced rudder, and imagine all that cockpit space with tiller stowed up!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:10   #157

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
I was looking at a boat last night. After all my posts on the speedy catamarans I remembered an Ericson 36 that had a PHRF rating of 108 as compared to my Bristol at 240. Looking at the pictures though, the wheel took up nearly the whole back area of the cockpit so I knew I couldn't deal with that plus I raced for about 8-10 months out of the year for nearly 10 years while in Florida which is probably enough.

Anyway speaking of tillers, I'd really like to get this boat if I don't go for that Key West fishing boat (I can always fish from the dinghy) but as usual with sailboats there's always a compromise. It has a Saildrive:

1983 Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And btw, I can cross the 17-18 miles of bay with my 5hp 4 stroke mercury on a little over a gallon of fuel at speeds of 3-6 knots depending on current and whether or not I can get a boost from the sails. The trip is usually a bit over 3 hours depending. Boat weight is 6600lbs. I can usually get a total take me all the way in to the channel autopilot set at about 10 miles out which is where I can see the Navy HoverCraft Port.
Here's another one Thomm
32' 1984 WAUQUIEZ GLADIATEUR SLOOP | eBay
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:13   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
So convert to tiller. I did and will never go back. You have a partially balanced rudder, and imagine all that cockpit space with tiller stowed up!
My wife and I were standing in the cockpit yesterday when I was working on some other stuff and we both are a little disappointed in the room behind the helm, and to get around it. And there's a little slack in the cable that I knew about when we bought the boat but haven't looked into yet.

You can get an emergency tiller kit for the Legend 37. But never seen or heard of one that has been converted from wheel to tiller steering. Sure would be cool though if I knew of someplace to get the parts and goodies to do it.
Old 03-01-2014, 20:55   #159

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
after looking of 1000's of boats we got it down to 34 foot, maybe Hunter or Catalina. Will be first boat and have to learn how to sail. Sailed little boats, on water all our lives. Wife and I may want to head to dry tortugas
for a month or so. then any where to live on the hook. They say Catalinas sail better? Inside may be more important to us. Is survey recomended? Does that cost a lot? Should I have extra sails? Thanks ALL LOve this forum!

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that a National Park boating permit is needed in Dry Tortugas and that there is a maximum length of stay of 14 consecutive days. However, considering the lack of facilities, that may be longer than anyone could or would want to stay anyway unless equipped with a watermaker and huge holding tank and trash storage.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 14:30   #160

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:

My wife and I were standing in the cockpit yesterday when I was working on some other stuff and we both are a little disappointed in the room behind the helm, and to get around it. And there's a little slack in the cable that I knew about when we bought the boat but haven't looked into yet.

You can get an emergency tiller kit for the Legend 37. But never seen or heard of one that has been converted from wheel to tiller steering. Sure would be cool though if I knew of someplace to get the parts and goodies to do it.
Look at this thread. Full doable as long as you can access your rudder post through the floor of your cockpit.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-a-74553.html
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 15:54   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Look at this thread. Full doable as long as you can access your rudder post through the floor of your cockpit.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-a-74553.html
Thanks for that malbert73. It should be doable on the Legend 37 too. I read your post earlier but didn't want to comment until I figured out where the post might come through the floor. It looks like it will come thru right at the back of the cockpit, which would be perfect.

I have to investigate why there's slop in the steering anyway, and while I'm in there investigating that I'll get a better chance to see how a conversion could be done. Man, would it be nice to get rid of that wheel and pedestal!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02   #162
h20

wife liked the Hunter! BUT how much does it cost to replace the post under the mast? THNAKS!!!
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:36   #163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
wife liked the Hunter! BUT how much does it cost to replace the post under the mast? THNAKS!!!
Don't know, never seen a compression post failure on a hunter.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:56   #164

Like boatpoker said, I have yet to ever see a Hunter with a rotted compression post. Assuming it is, what Hunter model? The swing keel Hunters are compression posted to the keel trunk with a "bridge" that transfers mast step load to the entire bulkhead and hull. The fixed keel ones are compression posted all the way to the keel. The Legends have a keel stepped mast and don't even have a compression post.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13   #165

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Some of the older Hunter 34's had an issue with a wood cross beam under the mast (above the compression post) rotting from water entry, causing the deck to sag. Replacing that beam is a big job since it is glassed in. Lots of information on it on the Hunter Owners site over the years, but I think it was isolated to the mid-80's Hunter 34's. I do remember one owner posting that the beam was non-pressure treated pine. The 34 is a fun boat to sail.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter