Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 08:09   #16

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Catalinas for the Caribbean

Please don’t take this the wrong way or infer any bad will, but I don’t see any correlation between fuel capacity and sailing ability.

For example we have a good friend with a 40’ hard chined steel sloop that carries 150 gal. diesel in 2 tanks. He mainly cruses the PNW to Alaska, but a few years ago did a round trip from Astoria to Hawaii and back. He used 5 gallons of diesel for the entire trip.
I don’t consider him a bad sailor for lugging around 145 gallons of diesel that he didn’t need, I consider him a prudent seaman.

Appropriate tank capacity is very much about where and how you sail.

To keep on track with the OP’s question. In our area with a Catalina 36 I’d prefer a little more tankage, understanding that we also use diesel to heat the boat. Sailors experienced with the Caribbean don’t see the need for additional fuel. That said I’d probably keep a jerry jug or 2 on deck.

Best regards,
Ray
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 08:31   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I have a 40 ft Cat with 2 50 gal tanks. I refill twice a year whether it needs it or not.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:07   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The only thing I'd suggest is to have a few jerry jugs, a number of places in the Bahamas didn't have deep enough fuel docks to get fuel at, those that did charged a premium price. The same went for water, several places didnt have dock access for my 6' draft.
I didn't have a working water maker but for a bit but was lucky enough to be able to borrow some water jugs to get water for the boat.
The water maker is fixed now but I still keep a couple water jugs with me.
Water and fuel are much easier to get here in the Caribbean but better safe than sorry.
As for Catalinas, the models you are thinking of are fine for these waters, there are a number of them here.
Adding solar would be a good idea all around, no having to run a generator or engine to charge batteries, which cuts the fuel issue out as well. Not mention the maintenance and noise, I figured it will take about two years to pay back the cost of my arch and solar install in fuel and regular maintenance, and that didn't even include the cost of having to replace my $3000.00 generator section, but that's a different story. Good thing I can do all my own work!
The 36 is a good sailing boat but traditional in its layout, the 38 is a more modern and spacious design but a more moderate performing sailboat. either would be a good boat down here, it depends on your needs.
I've owned Catalinas in the past and found them to be well built and thought out, and their customer service and support are superb, which is more than I can say for some of the other production boat builders I've had encounters with.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, catalina, rib