Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Caulking the Hull / Keel Joint - Anti-Corrosion Question...

I am getting ready to caulk the keel hull joint on my Pearson 26. The keel is cast-iron and there are some minor rust stains around the joint and one streak on the outside coming from one of the bolts, perhaps. The bolts are still in very good shape and I've had people look at it and agree that it is in good shape overall.

Before I caulk the seam, would it make sense to inject any other products in there to prevent further rust? Last year I used Por-15 on my keel bolts and outboard with great success. Would it make sense to squirt or brush something like that in the seam before caulking to try to bond with any corroded surfaces that I can't otherwise get to?

Also, the hull paint is in good shape except for four spots where I recently made through hull patches. Is it necessary to have the bottom painted again this year, or can I let the bare fiberglass show against the salt water? Is there some other paint that I can use as touch-up bottom paint without needing a professional and/or a license?

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry for the spelling error in the title... seems it won't let me edit that. CaulKing
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 14:44   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Don't leave your bare hull open to seawater. If you are anywhere near a good bottom paint distributor they are very helpful in letting you know what barrier coat/primer and bottom paint for your local conditions should be. If your patch was done with epoxy and you put a couple coats of just resin plus harderner over the top of your patch then all you need is a little primer and a splash of bottom paint on your patch.
regards,
Old 08-04-2010, 17:57   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Thanks,

Do they make bottom paint that isn't spray on? I don't want to piss off the guys at my marina buy doing something I'm not licensed to do.

Does anyone have an opinion on the rust locking paint in the hull keel joint?

Thanks again, Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:52   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
There are many companys making marine caulks for below the waterline: 3m, sikaflex to name a few. 5200 or 4200 from 3m would be up to the task.
Both companies have spec charts for thier caulks you can use as reference.

If you do the proper job with the seam water should not be reacing the keel boats, I.E. no further treatment required.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion