Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 15:32   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: CE Category A for sailing yachts

mg-
As far as I can figure, the Beneteau's and Bavaria's and other boats that have occasionally lost their keels, were "A" rated for offshore sailing. So, it isn't quite the same as having a Lloyd's build certificate or some other real meaning. it just means "In the hands of an adequately trained and capable crew, and in the absence of any other issues, this boat could probably be safely sailed in these conditions".
Seems kinda like someone wanted to regulate the length of a piece of string, so they found some numbers and said "this long is good".

The thing is, a lesser boat with a better crew probably would fare just as well. Very much the same as the question of "What is a blue water cruiser?"

Well, a log is a blue-water cruiser, given the right crew, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 20:10   #17

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
mg-
As far as I can figure, the Beneteau's and Bavaria's and other boats that have occasionally lost their keels, were "A" rated for offshore sailing. So, it isn't quite the same as having a Lloyd's build certificate or some other real meaning. it just means "In the hands of an adequately trained and capable crew, and in the absence of any other issues, this boat could probably be safely sailed in these conditions".
Seems kinda like someone wanted to regulate the length of a piece of string, so they found some numbers and said "this long is good".

The thing is, a lesser boat with a better crew probably would fare just as well. Very much the same as the question of "What is a blue water cruiser?"

Well, a log is a blue-water cruiser, given the right crew, right?
Wow! Such insight. I would implore anyone wishing to know the real statistical loser when we talk keel loss or failure to read the research conducted by PBO on the subject. A little hint would be that it was by far those materials that get welded. I know some surprising wah? But then you know what they say about stats?
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32   #18

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Keel loss is usually because of multiple groundings , it's not random fact that beneteau firsts 40+ lose their keels ,they have 3 metters plus of draught.
In my opinion class A certification doesn't mean a lot , but it's far better than no certification or a.lower one .
My question about certification is for boats before 1996 which came with no certification, mine had 3 Eme which is 60 miles from the shore (quite offshore ) , Greek port police gave her a class A certificate , but is this really a Bluewater boat ?
I been sailing her offshore and she performs great but it's not for everybody.

On the structural side now the fiberglass above water line seems thin to my eyes but I have read that you need just 13mm thick to whitstand the power of the waves, the keel bolts size is the same as 38 feet boats , so stronger and the mast chainplate are the same size as Bavaria's 38 so again bigger than they should .
Still don't know if the boat deservers the certificate.
Never sailed over 40 knots of wind and maximum wave height was 6 to 7 metters (reported on navtex not in my mind ) which was a little scarry but the boat performed well under storm canvas
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:04   #19

I have just one point to make; NO-ONE can guarantee any sort of vessel's security in storm, or worse, conditions. I imagine that's why the CE rating ends there.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10   #20

Boat: Hanse 531

Interesting.

I wrote the European Boating Association a mail kindly asking for clarification. If someone ever gets back to me, I will post it here
Old 19-09-2018, 03:59   #21

Boat: Hanse 531

EBA responded!

Quote of the relevant parts of the mail:

Quote:
Annex I, Part A, point 1 states that watercraft in each design category must be designed and constructed to withstand the parameters in respect of stability, buoyancy, and other relevant essential requirements listed in this Annex, and to have good handling characteristics. This is a legal requirement for craft placed on the Union market.

Annex I, Part A, point 3.1 states that: The choice and combination of materials and its construction shall ensure that the watercraft is strong enough in all respects. Structure is covered by the ISO 12215 series, Part 10 of that standard deals with rig loads and rig attachments.

However, my view is that these two legal requirements require any craft to be able to withstand the parameters of its intended design category and that applies to all parts used in its construction.
So, as far as I understand, a manufacturer should not be allowed construct a CE certified boat with "undersized" (according to the CE specs) components.

Tags
sail, sailing, yacht