Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 10:06   #16

Boat: Moody Eclipse 43
Send a message via Skype™ to Jens Jakobsen
Re: Center Cockpit Pilot House - after 2 years of search still need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
Hi Guys

for 2 years now we are searching for our new yacht. I guess we have travelled more than 10000 miles during this time to view candidate boats in person.

While still not sure if steel is an absolute must (or if heavy plastik is fine) we know we want the following:

center cockpit pilot house (seating same hight as windows! - not the "windws up seating low versions") between 43 to 50 feet build around the 70's-90's.
No side doors! Medium to long keel. heavy build.
I have seen "millions" of pictures and boats online but as those are older boats I assume I do miss some models by only checking whats online.

So I ask for your kind help:
can you point out some models I do not know about yet?

I know:

feltz 3
motiva
nauticat 43

thanks a lot
best regards
ralph
Hi Ralph,

I can recommend Moody 43 Eclipse.

brgds/Jens Jakobsen
Jens Jakobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:15   #17

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Cool - some names allready here I did not know before.
Nothing wrong with the 43. Maybe a tiny bit too small for my liking as a live about... I am closer to my 60's than my 30s
But I just saw the old (80's) Nauticat 52 is also what I am looking for).
Hmmm... Our Nautical 43 has 3 staterooms (including a huge, wonderful aft cabin with queen size bed), two heads, a separate shower stall, and room for a Washer/Dryer and additional fridge (added by PO who removed the dinette opposite the galley to add storage and counter space. The salon table is huge and the dinette is not needed).

And we are couple in our 60's who live aboard as full time cruisers, on the hook 99% of the time.

I can't imagine why you might -need- more space, although I imagine you have your reasons for -wanting- more space. If you're not passionate about sailing, a power boat is the best way to get lots of space without getting a ridiculously long, large, expensive, complicated monohull. The larger you go, the expense and complexity grows -exponentially-. The difference between a Naticat 43 and a 52 is huge, and do you REALLY need the extra space?

Yours is a common question and mindset when folks consider living on a boat but their frame of reference is living on land. Once you downsize and move onto a boat, you'll be amazed at how different the reality is from the ideas/fantasies you might have had about it. I would find a way to "try before you buy" and have a goal to get the smallest boat that will work for you. Not only is time and money always limited, but smaller is easier to handle and maintain, a big part of owning a boat.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:53   #18

Try vagabond 52 pilothouse its on Yacchtworld
Benny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 11:48   #19

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Hi Guys

for 2 years now we are searching for our new yacht. I guess we have travelled more than 10000 miles during this time to view candidate boats in person.

While still not sure if steel is an absolute must (or if heavy plastik is fine) we know we want the following:

center cockpit pilot house (seating same hight as windows! - not the "windws up seating low versions") between 43 to 50 feet build around the 70's-90's.
I have seen "millions" of pictures and boats online but as those are older boats I assume I do miss some models by only checking whats online.

I know:

feltz 3
motiva
nauticat 43

thanks a lot
best regards
ralph
Hi IBet,
We have a lovely Nauticat 43 and would consider a conversation about selling. Please send me a PM.
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 12:08   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ta-48-3668261/

This might interest you.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 12:14   #21

@sv grace.. absolutely 100% agree with the dinette Table.
I have never understood why 90% of All pilot salon yachts have this aditional waste o' space down below!
I would want a tech room... Tools... Washer.. well .. even Sauna.. there instead...

But what you say is interesting. We still love each other ... lol.. and we have spent many great weeks on very Tiny boats traveling and Sleeping on the hook. But i also love space .. for stuff... to walk around..

Ee DID think about n lrc but we canceled it out due to the rolling Problem and engine backup Problem in our Price range

Hmmm.....
Maybe you xan elaborate on this a bit more ?
Pn?

Please excuse typing errors.. german mobile Phone... Terrible for English writing
Old 23-10-2020, 12:41   #22

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

The Nauticat 43 is a great boat, my problem with it is that it has almost no deck lockers/storage. There isn't really a good place to store fenders, lines, fuel cans, dinghies, sails, etc. I'm not sure the 52 solves that problem either, based on the layout diagrams I've seen.

Hi Ralph, you haven't mentioned what your budget is. In looking for my boat, the selection of pilothouse/semi-pilothouse designs is really limited and it's really important to know what your budget is to give suggestions. That being said, for a number of reasons, I chose to buy a Farr 50, which isn't a true pilothouse, but hits most of the requirements. I would say that it's livable space is no more than a Nauticat 43, maybe a little less, but it has a large full width aft lazarette and a large forward sail locker, both of which are watertight compartments. Before buying my boat, I was under contract for a semi-custom boat in Sweden called a Scandi 52. The deal got killed by Covid, but it is still for sale, and I would recommend taking a look at it, if it falls within your budget. There is also a Kanter Bougainvillea 62 in Germany that is really appealing. Again, Covid prevented me from pursuing that boat.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:10   #23

You might want to take a look at Molly J, our boat, listed on Yachtworld.com, as she seems to have much of what you are looking for. She is a Cal 2-46 production sloop that has been extensively customized, including a Schaeffer 20' boom furler, a professionally built fiberglass hardtop dodger and bimini, fully enclosed with Isinglass dodger windows and bimini rolloup acrylic windows and screens, both hidden under the fiberglass bimini. A Webasto hydronic heater feeds the heated cockpit and interior (thermostatic control, with 6 heat ducts). Has 350 gallon fuel tanks (2500 mile range) and 300 gallon water tanks (w/Spectra Watermaker) all four 1/2" thick fiberglass tanks were built into the hull (professionally, one of a kind, at inception) providing 5000 lbs of additional under the waterline ballast to augment the 8000 lb lead ballast poured into the one piece hull/ semi full keel (no keel bolts to corrode). She is very stable.

She is not quick sale priced, nor will be in the foreseeable future as we are currently cruising her full time, based out of Barra de Navidad, MX (Pacific Coast), and are not in a hurry to sell her. If the price doesn't set you back and you have questions, including what would justify her being listed at her current price, I can send you a full history of the boat from inception, with all subsequent modifications to equip her for circumnavigation (brief examples: professionally built framed in 3/8" Lexan removable storm windows, dual air conditioners for your time in the tropics, etc.).

It may be helpful to know that historically Cal 2-46's have been among the most frequently circumnavigated boats of all time, per Latitude 38 magazine's record of circumnavigations that debarked from the west coast of the America's. William Lapworth designed and Cal Jensen built (both of whom bought their own when retired) they were, and some continue to be, ultimate cruising boats.

If not interested due to price, no need to reply as I am well aware of the price comparison with other Cal 2-46's. I mention that only because some viewers seem to have felt it their duty to point that out, previously.
Jonathan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 16:59   #24

I realized that I forgot about your center cockpit requirement. I think the only way that we can help find/suggest options is if you give us a budget range.
Old 23-10-2020, 18:59   #25

Boat: Nauticat 43

We love our Nauticat 43. There's been reference of the Nauticat 52, but I didn't see the Nauticat 42 mentioned. The 42 was a Nauticat in-house design while the 43 was by Sparkman & Stephens. Also, there's another candidate from Sweden, but they're tough to find for sale. It's the Regina Af Vindo 43.
Old 23-10-2020, 19:05   #26

The Regina 43 is an aft cockpit design, and also has limited deck storage.

As far as the Nauticat 42, I've not heard favorable things about how it sails. By and large, the S&S Nauticats are more well regarded in their sailing ability/performance.
Old 23-10-2020, 19:31   #27

I heartily agree with the Nauticat chap about 43' good size...as I found Nauticat super in workmanship and handling. After >60,000 mi ocean crewing on ~40+ sailboats, I found from noting boats 38-45 feet length they perform well in average ocean wave intervals and heights (with a good navigator/steersman...and autopilot!...and especially in heavenly downwind trades!). Best of luck and enjoy your new boat!
wannacarricraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 19:35   #28

ps Besides 38-45 ft length criteria, I found I prefer aft cockpit over central for "feeling" the boat directly on my feet when handling her, esp when difficult docking and/or in winds and currents.
wannacarricraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 20:10   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Hi Guys

I know:

feltz 3
motiva
nauticat 43

thanks a lot
best regards
ralph
My own boat comes close to your brief and would never consider changing for something newer..

Dutch built by Van Helleman
CORTEN Steel hull and house
55ft on deck but with long functional bow spirit
Walk in cockpit with good view forward over pilothouse
Easily balanced all furling schooner rig
360° view from pilothouse table
Comfortable Owners Cabin with nice office

I've made a lot of improvements in Solar Bimini/Invertors/Off Grid sustainability and ease of maintenance since buying, that has been worthwhile doing on a steel boat with good bones and no rust issues

Some of these broker photos were taken before I bought in 2004 don't show the changes made

Click image for larger version

Name:	Banton%20SG%202.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	225748Click image for larger version

Name:	1b%20cockpit.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	225749Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	225750Click image for larger version

Name:	2%20Aft%20Cabin.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	225751Click image for larger version

Name:	2b%20Office.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	225752Click image for larger version

Name:	2010%20Launch%200041.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	225753
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 20:15   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Different from other layouts we have smaller zones for eating that are good for 4 only, except for in cockpit.
We actually enjoy those seperate small area for breakaway conversation
Click image for larger version

Name:	3%20Stargazer%20pilothouse%20Seating.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	225754Click image for larger version

Name:	3%20Pilothouse.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	225755Click image for larger version

Name:	5%20Stargazer%20Saloon%202.jpeg
Views:	115