Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 17:20   #46

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Center Cockpits

'How about the "control box"?'

'box' has certain cricketing connotations that I'm not particularly comfortable with....
Old 13-03-2015, 17:29   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'How about the "control box"?'

'box' has certain cricketing connotations that I'm not particularly comfortable with....
Not sure that I understand your meaning. Care to expound?

Oh, wait. Never mind. You're referring to the "cockpit" debate, I assume, not the Little Harbor.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:41   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Think you need to check your facts mate... the Cox-pit is where the Coxswain was stationed and also where the ships surgeon operated in time of battle in the Royal Navy..
Absolutely nothing to do with chickens..
Yet another politically correct urban myth thats totally wrong due to some stupid buga's mis-spelling years back and it catching on..
PS: <<<<<<<<<< sexy CC to port...
According to Admiral Smyth's 'Sailor's Word Book' of 1865 the spelling is indeed cockpit and it was under the lower gun deck near the after hatchway. He also uses Cockswain which, if you look up coxswain, you are directed back to.
He also offers us cocksetus, cockpitarian and cock-boat.

But what would an admiral know?.. they are as much use as a wheelbarrow afloat....
Old 13-03-2015, 17:49   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Not sure that I understand your meaning. Care to expound?

Oh, wait. Never mind. You're referring to the "cockpit" debate, I assume, not the Little Harbor.
Correcto...
Sorry... failed in the first instance to link to the original comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
We need to remove the word "cockpit" from the sailing vocabulary. It refers to cock- fighting, where roosters are forced to fight to the death in a pit. It is no longer an acceptable practice in the western world, although it is still popular in south East Asia and maybe other places. How about the "control box"?
Moving right along 'Abdomen guard or "box" or an L Guard for male batsmen and wicket-keepers (often referred to as a cup, box or abdo guard). It is usually constructed from high density plastic with a padded edge, shaped like a hollow half-pear, and inserted into the jockstrap style underwear of the batsmen and wicket-keeper. This is used to protect the genitals against impact from the ball.'
Old 13-03-2015, 17:51   #50

Quote:
But what would an admiral know?.. they are as much use as a wheelbarrow afloat....
Ouch!

The ladies will soon be chiming in to respond to that one. Where's Anne?

Merely from a biological aspect, cocks traditional belong in the pit. Thus, I'm OK with the term 'cockpit'. It's exudes a homey connotation, full of love and good times at sea.
Old 13-03-2015, 17:53   #51

Quote:
Correcto...
Sorry... failed in the first instance to link to the original comment.

'Abdomen guard or "box" or an L Guard for male batsmen and wicket-keepers (often referred to as a cup, box or abdo guard). It is usually constructed from high density plastic with a padded edge, shaped like a hollow half-pear, and inserted into the jockstrap style underwear of the batsmen and wicket-keeper. This is used to protect the genitals against impact from the ball.'
Us Yanks only know the term cricket in relation to insects that chirp at dusk in the months of August and September.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 13-03-2015, 18:12   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Center Cockpits

Quote:
Us Yanks only know the term cricket in relation to insects that chirp at dusk in the months of August and September.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Seems the English don't know much about cricket either..
Only managed to beat two teams.. and one of thems only about six months old..
Afghanistan..
Mind.. they suck at Football as well..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 05:13   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
We need to remove the word "cockpit" from the sailing vocabulary. It refers to cock- fighting, where roosters are forced to fight to the death in a pit. It is no longer an acceptable practice in the western world, although it is still popular in south East Asia and maybe other places. How about the "control box"?

Not so fast. Alternative entomology is that it refers to the coxswain place on the ship in old Royal Navy terms. Ie the coxs pit and was where the steering controls were /are found

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-03-2015, 14:48   #54

Boat: Hylas 54

The attached video is of my wife and I on our Hylas 54 center cockpit in 35-kts of breeze on shallow Lake St Claire (avg depth is 20'). Notice water spraying over the bow. But also notice my wife, relaxed, eating cheese fritos and drinking a gatorade having a wonderful time. Seas were very choppy with 4-6' waves coming from multiple directions.

I also crossed Lake Erie May 2012, 35 degree water and air, 30 kts on the nose for the entire 200 miles (in 2012). In the center cockpit and down below the movement was not that bad. The bow? It was regularly going a foot under water.

I've done that same trip across Erie on a 53' Choey Lee Ketch - aft cockpit. Which I also sailed 600 miles from Nassau to Luperon. When the wind got to 30 kts. We would get pounded and soaked in the cockpit. Unfortunately I don't have a video for this. It would have been harder to make one in fact.

BTW, the scoop transom on lots of center cockpits make for a wild ride in following seas and beam winds. The aft cockpits with a wine-glass stern doesn't move the stern as much.

I love both designs and have owned both. But for blue water comfort something over 50' with a center cockpit has proven to be my favorite so far. Much less than 45' and I think they tend to look a bit boxey.
Attached Files
Old 17-03-2015, 10:21   #55

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Another CC in choppy conditions;
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:48   #56

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I find that the dodger and bimini are more important in a center cockpit to keep the cockpit dry.

One nice thing about some center cockpit designs is that they offer an aft deck above the aft stateroom. In calm conditions or at anchor, this is one of our favorite places to hang out.

One downside to the center cockpit is that the main cabin is generally shorter.

I find that unless the boat is big enough, a center cockpit on a smaller boat can make it more like a layer cake and less sleek. Supposedly it increases windage, but compared to the topsides forward of center that is a small effect (the bow still blows off the wind quicky under bare poles).

You can get center cockpit with sugar scoop stern. I don't find a center cockpit any harder for dive gear -- if anything it is easier because you can put on/take off gear on the aft deck without having to ascend from/descend to the cockpit.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 20:32   #57

Boat: Hunter 26.5

Quote:
How about NO Scott.
Old 31-03-2015, 06:08   #58

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Well I say, good sir! Your flight plan is on target.

As much as I love Hinckleys, Little Harbors are always on my radar, and more heavily as of late. Class act yachts, they certainly are.

Not my boat, yet I'd be thrilled if this 63' LH CC was. Beam not listed, yet I'm guessing 16'+. The CC is so elegant, and apparently very skipper friendly. Salivating heavily. Please forgive the drool.

1987 Little Harbor Little Harbor 63 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Ooooh! Lovely vessel. Imagine the countless hours of pleasure keeping the varnish in top nick... :-)

But you have good taste.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 11:25   #59

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

CHERP
You really need to find something constructive to do with your excess time. The cock in cockpit refers to where the coxswain is found.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit