Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 12:07   #31

Re: Center Cockpits: pros and cons

One aspect of the cc boat we owned was that when docking it is harder for the person at the helm to grab and tie off dock lines, or to fend off. Not a problem if you have three or more onboard.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 13:34   #32

Boat: Outbound 46

One factor to consider, depending on your cruising grounds, is that natural airflow into the aft cabin on a center-cockpit boat can be really poor. This is a real issue for us, since we mostly cruise in the tropics. It wouldn't be a factor in northern Europe or the Great Lakes.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 16:01   #33

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Like with so many other subjects it is a matter of the intended use;

CC was my #1 factor when purchased my cruising boat - so ended up with a Contest 43-44. For extended offshore cruising, ocean crossing etc., a center cockpit is the preferred design: Way better protected and comfortable and stable, as it is positioned closer to the keel A/P bearing point - this plays a huge advantage in cruising for days in high seas.

Down below there are two significant advantages: the best possible full aft cabin with center queen bed with the privacy from guests in the forward cabin. The second is the engine access: all four sides of the engine room are removable panels and doors, where you can reach - right in front of you to any part of the engine.

We love the large aft deck, it is part of the really great entertainment area of the cockpit when more people are on board - so it compensates for the relatively small cockpit vs. similar LOA aft cockpit. We also have a reasonable swim platform.

However, if it was for daysailing, most Med cruising areas or weekends, I think an aft cockpit would work better: more space, not such a steep way down to the cabin, lower access from the water and the ability in some designs to have two separate aft cabins in addition to the forward cabin (which will be horrible for using in offshore passages...).

But again, it is all a matter of the intended use!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A579F107-4E32-4F4E-A3E4-B29D3901A91F.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	251956  
Old 25-01-2022, 18:32   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Here's a tip for center cockpit boat lovers...

My first boat was a CC....while I had a hatch over the back, plus four opening portholes and two dorade vents, it still got quite hot at anchor as no breeze found it's way back there. Sleeping back there was sometimes quite miserable.

I decided to do something about it, and with my trusty sewing machine, I fashioned two mini-windscoops that could fit over the forward porthole, one each side of the aft cabin. I attached four canvas push clips around the four corners of the porthole. My porthole windscoop extended out to the lifelines, like two big mickey mouse ears and were attached there with light twine. The inside part of the windscoop was attached around the porthole to the four clips.

The difference was stunning. Those windscoops would funnel so much air back there, I'd get cold. If it started to rain, I simply closed the porthole.

I often left them on whilst sailing, as they weren't in my way.

I'm not sure how I'd do this with a porthole alongside a hull as in above pic, but I'd likely make a windscoop frame of sorts and cover it with windscoop material, and hang it from the lifelines.

It really doesn't take much to direct some breeze back there.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 21:07   #35

Boat: Bene 42CC

I have a ‘04 Bene 42CC and I’m generally impressed with its design and happy with my choice. Pros: The massive aft stateroom was the selling point. Respectfully disagree with Jim Cate on this - we spend plenty of waking hours hanging out there, and having a roomy spot to shower and change clothes when guests are aboard is handy. The salon is reduced but still comfortable for 4-6 adults. The cockpit is dry with canvas up and I can easily lift the entire cockpit floor (6 bolts, 5 minutes) for complete overhead engine room access for bigger jobs. We have the flip-down transom swim platform so I get all the access of a scoop with all the security of a flat transom in following seas. The aft deck could easily host a jazz quartet. The galley is along the port passageway into the aft stateroom and when one crew member is cooking and another needs to pass, well, it “encourages intimacy.”

Cons…there is no graceful way in/out of the cockpit when the canvas is up. And visibility from the helm is horrible with the Genoa deployed - to the point where I often prefer to engage the AP and then straddle the combing or even hang out on one of the aft corners for better sight lines. (This is not without its own risk)

Every boat is different and we were not even considering a CC until we saw this one. For us, the layout sold itself. Check one out if you can.
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 05:22   #36

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Agree with the above on both pros and cons. On the visibility from helm when the genoa is out, a higher cut sail can help with a better visibility.

On the internal space, although a bit longer boat, she was well designed to offer almost the same saloon space as an aft cockpit. 9 people can comfortably seat around the table. The galley, unlike many CC, is a U shape right at the port side from the companionway. The starboard passage to the aft cabin is used for storage, work bench and for a full size washing machine. At some sister boats models this area was used for a single berth.

The only thing I’m really missing is a direct full height access to the cockpit from aft (with the open transom aft cockpit designs) as our bimini is basically fixed.
Old 26-01-2022, 05:38   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I love the feeling of sailing an aft cockpit boat, there's a real connection to the waves, wind that I am not sure you get on a CC boat. I agree that the accommodations on the CC are superior when beyond that 45 foot mark and the engine access mentioned earlier is usually better, although on my Tartan, it's really pretty decent. The one thing that I think is a huge detriment is the ability for the helmsman to handle dock lines. In an aft cockpit, I can easily grab lines while steering the boat. My dock neighbor has Hunter 45.5 center cockpit and he needs crew to go out and back, the wheel is too far removed from the cleats to scramble back and forth..........maybe not all CC boats are like this but I bet a fair number of them are.
That is just poor design on the Hunter. I don't think a CC is inherently harder to set up for ease of use.
Old 26-01-2022, 06:04   #38

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I love the feeling of sailing an aft cockpit boat, there's a real connection to the waves, wind that I am not sure you get on a CC boat. I agree that the accommodations on the CC are superior when beyond that 45 foot mark and the engine access mentioned earlier is usually better, although on my Tartan, it's really pretty decent. The one thing that I think is a huge detriment is the ability for the helmsman to handle dock lines. In an aft cockpit, I can easily grab lines while steering the boat. My dock neighbor has Hunter 45.5 center cockpit and he needs crew to go out and back, the wheel is too far removed from the cleats to scramble back and forth..........maybe not all CC boats are like this but I bet a fair number of them are.
In fact I would say its the opposite. In a CC its EASIER to handle dock lines. the most important dockline when landing on a dock is the midship spring, and in a CC its right at hand. The bow and stern line can be laid on deck and reached from the miship position after the spring line has been landed. On an aft cockpit boat the spring is typically out of reach. and you need to run forward to grab it and land it on the dock.

To me it sounds like the Hunter owner just hasn't sort out their docking procedures.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 06:14   #39

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
In fact I would say its the opposite. In a CC its EASIER to handle dock lines. the most important dockline when landing on a dock is the midship spring, and in a CC its right at hand. The bow and stern line can be laid on deck and reached from the miship position after the spring line has been landed. On an aft cockpit boat the spring is typically out of reach. and you need to run forward to grab it and land it on the dock.

To me it sounds like the Hunter owner just hasn't sort out their docking procedures.
Actually, this particular Hunter has the mid-ship cleats well forward of the cockpit, well out of reach. Plus this particular boat has very high freeboard so any sort of windage will blow the bow off in an instant.
Here's a picture of a sistership:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hunter-45-cc-24169050121051534869555451674567x.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	251987  
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:01   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Actually, this particular Hunter has the mid-ship cleats well forward of the cockpit, well out of reach. Plus this particular boat has very high freeboard so any sort of windage will blow the bow off in an instant.
Here's a picture of a sistership:
A nice bit of 'wedding cake' there!
I wouldn't expect the bow to blow off , I would expect the whole boat to blow off sideeways.

A fine example of what a C/C boat shouldn't be.

Meanwhile - speaking of wedding cake - my C/C boat on the left and an aft cockpit Jenny of the same length in the middle - a small Hunter on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6190487.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	251988  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:02   #41

Quote:
The midship cleats should be near the shrouds (more or less). But the point of the midship cleat and spring is to control the boat, precisly solves the problem you are describing. Procedure should be this. spring line on midship cleat If the free end has a large loop in it, even better as it makes placing it on the dock even simpler. When landing place the loop of the spring line on the first cleat coming into the dock. and slow the boat but leave it in gear and it will pull itself to the dock!
Old 26-01-2022, 07:53   #42

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The midship cleats should be near the shrouds (more or less). But the point of the midship cleat and spring is to control the boat, precisly solves the problem you are describing. Procedure should be this. spring line on midship cleat If the free end has a large loop in it, even better as it makes placing it on the dock even simpler. When landing place the loop of the spring line on the first cleat coming into the dock. and slow the boat but leave it in gear and it will pull itself to the dock!
Yes, very familiar with this procedure, I single hand my Tartan quite a bit, I was saying that this particular Hunter is nearly impossible to leave the helm, quickly handle the lines without it blowing off. If you look at the picture, there is quite a bit of distance from the cockpit to the midship cleat and the coaming is substantial.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 08:36   #43

Quote:
Yes, very familiar with this procedure, I single hand my Tartan quite a bit, I was saying that this particular Hunter is nearly impossible to leave the helm, quickly handle the lines without it blowing off. If you look at the picture, there is quite a bit of distance from the cockpit to the midship cleat and the coaming is substantial.
Looks like maybe 4 more steps than my setup. Helmsman just needs to get to the gate not to the cleat. but docking is always easier with 2 onboard!
Old 26-01-2022, 08:36   #44

Boat: Hunter 36

For center cockpits, the most unusual one I have seen is the Island Packet SP Cruiser. You could argue there's two cockpits, actually, but the main one for socializing and dining is forward, yet it's totally disconnected from the helmstation, which is inside a pilothouse. I don't know whether I would love this design or hate it.

Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 09:09   #45

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Having owned several aft cockpit boats at 40' (or less) and will say the smaller boats were easier to dock single handed when you have your lines set up properly.

We now have a fairly large 49' CC ketch and will still say with the proper line set up, it is as easy to reach the dock lines as any other boat we've owned. Our boat is now 2X the weight of our 40' boat, with much more windage (no bow thruster) and we still manage to dock the boat with relative ease. Knowing where the mid ship pivot point is critical to using this line to ease the boat to the dock. After the boat is stopped, then move forward to get the bow line. Even in an aft cockpit boat, one must leave the cockpit to get the bow lines secured.

Originally, we had poor ventilation in the aft cabin until we installed additional hinges to allow our hatch to open forward instead of just to the aft. Problem solved.

Could go on and on about the nice cruising features of the CC /aft cabin/aft deck space (dinghy storage, excellent fishing platform, etc.), but one needs to really try one for a while to see the virtues. The CC may not be for everyone, but that's why they make different types of boats.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit