Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2023, 11:19   #1

centerboard cable replacement

A local ad includes the following text and it's not the first time I've heard of a locked centerboard and/or a broken cable:

>>>It has a swing keel or retractable keel ( needs new cable), which allows you to traverse shallow waters.<<<

The boat in question is shown on a trailer. How would one get it off if the centerboard won't stay up?

What kind of cable and bolt should I expect to get for salt water?

Will such a repair often include a messed up pivot needing fiberglass work?

What's the maximum life expectancy for this kind of arrangement as well as the difficulty and expense of a repair. I believe it said the keel weight was over 200 lbs. Not something I could lift.

I understand the general advice is to stay clear of these, but shallow-water use would be quite valuable to me.
Wayne Bostow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:39   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: centerboard cable replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Bostow View Post
A local ad includes the following text and it's not the first time I've heard of a locked centerboard and/or a broken cable:

>>>It has a swing keel or retractable keel ( needs new cable), which allows you to traverse shallow waters.<<<

The boat in question is shown on a trailer. How would one get it off if the centerboard won't stay up?

What kind of cable and bolt should I expect to get for salt water?

Will such a repair often include a messed up pivot needing fiberglass work?

What's the maximum life expectancy for this kind of arrangement as well as the difficulty and expense of a repair. I believe it said the keel weight was over 200 lbs. Not something I could lift.

I understand the general advice is to stay clear of these, but shallow-water use would be quite valuable to me.
=================================
what type/make of boat?

many different systems, cannot generalize.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:47   #3

...a Balboa 21 "Coastal Recreation Sailboat". --WB
Wayne Bostow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:54   #4

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Hi Wayne,
The Balboa 21 record on Sailboatdata.com points the Aquarius 21.
Age of Aquarius!

For my Luger 21 with a 250# swing keel, I ordered a new stainless steel cable swaged with an aircraft eye to match the original from West Marine Rigging department, great service and reasonable prices. The boat was lifted of the trailer with pipe stands (less expensive and more multi-purpose than marine boat stands) and a floor jack, there are videos on how to do this. Once the trailer was cleared I lowered the free end of swinging portion with its own cable, placed the floor jack, unbolted the pivot, then lowered the other end. I then unbolted and lowered the 200# fixed portion (the Luger carries all of the cast iron outside the fiberglass hull). In your case you may need to repair or rig the swinging portion up into the hull before removing the trailer and have a means to steady and catch the blade so it does not fall and cause harm. I am wheeling my 2 pieces around the garage, each on a 4 wheeled moving dolliy as I refinish them.

Hope my ramblings help...I have a couple-few threads about the boat here and on TSBB (trailer sailor bulletin board).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_l21_stands.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	279551   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_l21_bladesand1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	279552  

Tags
centerboard, men