Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 09:19   #46

Re: Centurien 47

I'm a landlubber now. Unfortunately too old and too many health issues for wife and I.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:47   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 27

would have to remove some of the "accesories" from the stern

1996 Tayana V42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:56   #48

after some research my list is getting shorter, though open to any sugestions. Teak decks are a disqualifier. Would like ot include the Valiant 42 but I just don't believe that's realistic on my budget.

Passport 40
Pacific Seacraft 37-44
shannon 38
Tayana 42
Moody 44
Old 19-07-2016, 12:06   #49

many great things about the Passports, especially the ones built by Ta Shing.

Old 19-07-2016, 13:10   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

And which Moody? I think the early one was a Giles and I know this one. Later there was a 44 Dixon I think too. Never sailed one but I know people who had a 376 until recently. Great boat that sails very well and is pretty live'able down below. If the newer 44 is alike then sure why not.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 15:19   #51

Boat: Westerly Sealord

No mention of Westerly in your short list.

I sail a Sealord....a 'go anywhere' boat which amongst many other attributes has two good seaberths in the saloon ( a definite 'must' in my view ) and stowage for the dinghy on deck aft of the cockpit. There is also the slightly bigger and younger sister, the Oceanlord.

They have a bit of age these days and if I was buying another one then I have a short list of 'must fix' jobs that I would have done before heading off... you would get them knocked off in under a month in a yard... at least for me they are a known quantity.

One of the two Sealords currently listed - Westerly Sealord 39 Used Boat for Sale 1983 | TheYachtMarket
needs new Treadmaster on the decks ( EDIT ... on second look those decks have another 10 years in them... I've sailed with a lot worse )... thats not a deal breaker. .. just a job that has to be done somwhere down the line. Mine were NZ$15000 when done by the yard.... boat next to me was a Brewer 42.... something like NZ$60k being spent on her teak decks at the same time

And they come in under 12 metres so cheaper every time you use a marina.....

I'm biased....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020756.JPG.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	128046  
Old 19-07-2016, 16:40   #52

@el

How do you have your westerly set up for cruising. I.e. Solar panels , wind vane, dinghy etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2016, 18:08   #53

OK.

One can have an old treadmaster to fix at X dollars or else and old teak to fix at Y dollars. These are the only viable choices.

What is wrong is to have a gelcoat diamond deck that does not need fixing, at 0 amount of dollars.

Why do you guys insist on buying something old and in need of despair?

Are you into fixing things?

I thought it was all about living onboard and sailing!

Little cheaters!

;-)

b.
Old 19-07-2016, 18:17   #54

???? I said no teak decks just for that reason

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2016, 21:06   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK.

One can have an old treadmaster to fix at X dollars or else and old teak to fix at Y dollars. These are the only viable choices.

What is wrong is to have a gelcoat diamond deck that does not need fixing, at 0 amount of dollars.

Why do you guys insist on buying something old and in need of despair?

Are you into fixing things?

I thought it was all about living onboard and sailing!

Little cheaters!

;-)

b.
I like my tan treadmaster because it doesn't show the mud off my mountain boots........ and I don't feel the need to go 'the full anal' when somebody steps onto my deck in anything more than socks.....

If, like the OP, you only have $150k to spend you aren't going to get much 'new' boat for that....

Old is old... something is going to need fixing.
Old teak = leaky deck
Old treadmaster is simply a cosmetic issue.

Any 'old' boat is going to have stuff that needs fixing..... the trick is to avoid the one that comes with a bucket load of probs that need sorting before you can leave the wharf.

My job list on the Sealord I linked to would all relate to the rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0338_2 (1).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	128099  
Old 19-07-2016, 21:57   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
@el

How do you have your westerly set up for cruising. I.e. Solar panels , wind vane, dinghy etc?
First up I have no bimini, apart from anything else you no longer have a clear view of your sails... In port in sunny climes I rig my shade cloth and shift it as required through the day.

Nor do I have an arch down the back to hang **** on.... just more windage. I have a pole that carries radar,R/reflector and wind gen.

Assorted bits are secured to the taffrail.... i.e. HF whip, AIS ant, NOAA sat Rx ant, kedge, & one of the GPS.

In the previous post you can see how I stow my dinghy aft of the cockpit when coasting...it goes below at sea.
Dinghy can be launched and retrieved by one person.

You can also see my my solar panels which can be trimmed on one axis... not perfect but better than not being able to trim them at all.

Also for power , an LVM ( no longer available) Aqua4Aerogen which can be set up for wind or - when on passage - water ( ie towed ) use... good kit.
80 amp battery sensed alternator and a 1kW Honda genset.
At sea the solar and the towed gen make all the power we need ...

Also a windvane self steering set-up together with an electronic autopilot. I can't imagine more than 24 hours at sea without the wind vane.... well, I can, but that's another story
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2928 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	128102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	128103  

Name:	IMG_1621 (1).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	128104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1930.JPG.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	128105  

Old 20-07-2016, 07:42   #57

Yeah at 150 I'm basically trying find as high a quality boat as I can, then go through whats available to try and find the one that the owner really took pride in keeping in bristol condition. So it will be a process.

As far as solar etc. I don't think it's a priority that the boat already has it as solar has improved a lot lately and old heavy pannels may not be the way to go. I would prefer to have a nice bimini since I will be in the tropics most of the time. I would like to put four large solibian flexible pannels zippered to the top of it. this would decrease weight and windage. Add a wind gen and that should be plenty of power for anything I would need.
Old 20-07-2016, 08:27   #58

At 150k there are hundreds of choices. Your only challenge is to find the size / quality combination that will give you the optimum boat.

What if at 150k one cannot buy a sound, clean and viable 47'. No question mark.

Perhaps the reasonable way forward is to review the goal rather than look at a narrow list of big boats that fit the bill. You may be looking at a bunch of project boats trying to pick out the one that is the least of a project.

If you want my advice, just as a mental exercise, slash the budget, start at 75 k and review boats say 38' to 43' range. See what pops up, see how it fits your dream, see if with 75k left in the bank you can quickly and smoothly get a boat like this from where you are to San Lucas (Hawaii, Caribbean, have your pick).

Then come back to your 47'er. See if you have gained something. A different angle.

Or just walk away from it all for a couple of weeks then hope for a miracle boat to pop up. They are out there. Often at the local dock.

Cheers,
b.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:04   #59

Yeah I kind of was doing that going from 47 to more of the 37-42 range. Seems to be a lot more available in my budget.
top contenders
Tayana 42
passport 40
seem to be quite of few of these out there in my range in the states. galley's are incredible in both of these.

Pacific seacraft 44
hard to find in my budget.

Love to have a shannon 43 but thats not anywhere near my reality as far as price goes.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking I am going to want an aft cockpit. I know a lot of people have recomended CC but in the tropics with no bimini, limited deck space etc I just don't think I want to give that up for the nice interrior. Could change my mind who knows.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:25   #60

Pasport did some nice things, like deck coring in 3" squares with resin mix filler between etc, so water intrusion into the core doesn't progress etc. Of course as you state , the interior work is amazing... at least on the Ta Shing built boats.