Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 20:11   #1

Chain plate bolts

Hi all

I am in the process of inspecting the chain plates reattaching and sealing on my newly purchased triton 26 (Australian made) and I have to replace some bolts
My query is the use of stainless bolts or high tensile steel. is the latter ok? are there pros and cons to either? (besides the corrosion factor)
There are 3 chain plates through the deck on each side each having 2 x 10 mm bolts holding the chainplate.
This is my first yacht so any advice is most welcome.
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Chain plate bolts

Make sure you check each chain plate very carefully for cracks using a dye penetrant.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We do a lot of replacement chainplates. The single biggest issue is the corrosion that occurres in the blind spot between the top of the deck and the bottom. In all but the very best installations there will be some water and salt that collects there, leading to serious crevice or poultice corrosion. Rarely are the bolts alone the problem.

Assuming the chainplates are ok, then replacing the bolts with 304/316 stainless is probably a minor issue. But using hss is guaranteed to lead to problems.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 03:30   #4

Thanks for that I did purchase HHS bolts because that's what are on her at the moment it seems like the washers they used rusted out more so than the bolts and the seals around the plates have gone adding to the problem,
But I think I will revert to stainless.
Would it be right in thinking that when I re install the chain plates that I re tension the rigging wire befor I fully tighten the chain plate bolts so as to take up the slack and then seal?
Old 21-02-2013, 03:39   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post
Would it be right in thinking that when I re install the chain plates that I re tension the rigging wire befor I fully tighten the chain plate bolts so as to take up the slack and then seal?
Well I'm no rigger but I would say NO.
Tighten up the chain plate bolts and seal, then re-rig and tension.

The load on the plates are not only taken by the shear of the bolts but also the friction of the plate against the hull (bulkhead, frame or whatever). The bolts need to tight to create the friction.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Never tighten the rigging or even install it until the chainplates are completely installed. As Wotname pointed out it is the friction of the chainplate and the glass that keeps them in the boat, the bolts are there to create the friction.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 15:00   #7

Thanks for the great info cheers
Old 21-02-2013, 15:37   #8

Boat: Fantasia 35

Isn't there a torque spec for chainplate bolts?
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 15:51   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Use the standard torque specs for bolts. Size, material and lubricant are the important factors.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 01:51   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Use the standard torque specs for bolts. Size, material and lubricant are the important factors.
Yep, use a standard size spanner (wrench) and torque for T for tight and not F for ......
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:41   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Would it be absolutely not recommended to replace the chainplate bolts (6) one by one with the rigging and mast up, only removing and replacing one bolt at a time?
My chainplates are attached to the hull with six bolts and are all quite accessible.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:44   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yep, use a standard size spanner (wrench) and torque for T for tight and not F for ......
Damn, I was hoping someone would post a nice torque chart. No such luck! So, here is a nice pdf file that all can save for future reference.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds...s%20Torque.pdf

Enjoy,

Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15   #13

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

I broke one of my chain plates last fall while sailing. Fortunately there was no other damage since we were able to turn into the wind and drop the sails and motor to a nearby marina.

I've done a lot of work on aircraft, car and tractors but am new to boats. I took off two of chain plates the long one of the mid side plate and the broken short one a rear side plate. I delivered these two chain plates to a nearby machine shop to make new plates.

I have received the new chain plates back and am ready to install them.

During the removal of the plates I "spun" galled I believe two of the bolts one on each chain plate. I am now putting a lot of penetrating oil on the bolts of plates still to be removed.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the "Spun" bolts. These are internally mounted chain plates. They are on fiberglass "knees" I believe they called. There is a nut plate behind the "knee" that is inaccessible. The bolts are long enough that they have threads that extend behind the nuts. The result is the bolts spin but don't come out of the hole. I ground the heads off to get the plates out.

I have not been able to figure out how to remove these nuts. I have not tried to drill them out. Dose anybody have any suggestions how I can best get these bolts out?

I plan to replace these bolts after they are removed by tapping out new threads and replacing with slightly larger stainless bolts. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

EricFinn, the best thing you can do is remove each chain plate and thoroughly inspect it. You may need to take them to a machine shop and have them magnaflulxed. If the bolts need replacing it is likely that the chain plates need replacing as well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52   #15

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

I am in the process of replacing all the chain plates. I'm just stuck at this point trying to remove these "spun" bolts so I can put in the new chain plates.

Thanks