Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 19:52   #31

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm sorry, I should have said " the history of Challenger Yachts Anacapa 42 model", not the entire history of Challenger Yacht Corp. I would really like to hear all of the info you guys have compiled about the history of the entire company! Chris
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 20:08   #32
Kai Nui

Yes, post what you are willing to. That would be great. I have the manual scanned onto my computer, but still have not had time to put it on disk. So many projects...
Old 31-10-2008, 20:15   #33

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
We owned a 32' from 1987 until 1998. Sailed her all over the Gulf Coast, in all kinds of weather. Very stout boat in every respect, especially the rig. Huge interior. A bit short on water tankage. We added 70 gals. She had a Perkins 4-107. I thought the ballast ratio was a little light, but she was stiff. Would buy another one were we looking for a boat now. Offshore should be no problem at all.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:14   #34

What follows is all I have gleened from several sources and the 'net;

The Anacapa was originally designed by Naval Architect Ted Carpentier, who also worked as an engineer for Hughes Aircraft and was a personal friend of the late Howard Hughes. His recollections of his time with Hughes are featured in the best seller “Howard Hughes: the secret life”. Carpentier was either hired by or sold the Anacapa design to San Pedro Boatwork’s owner John Leeper in 1963/64. San Pedro Boatworks built three Anacapa 40s, all sloop rigged without bowsprits. The “Peer Guint”, the “Octavia”, and the “Viajera” were all of high quality, with bronze ports and Barient winches. Their layout was slightly different than later Anacapas, with their galleys starboard in the pilothouse and chart and dressing tables in the aft cabin. All Anacapas carried the ubiquitous bathtub.

The Anacapa was designed to be comfortable with a good turn of speed. Built to early Cruising Club of America rule, she could compete with the likes of the Cal 40, and one of the first Anacapas, the “Peer Guint” was mentioned in a San Francisco Chronicle article in the late 60s when sailors complained of being beaten by “a three story boat”. Unfortunately, the center cockpit Anacapa was quite expensive to build, and the original tooling alone nearly bankrupted the small boatyard. The boat had a base price of nearly $40000 in the mid-60s, fairly expensive for its time. Feeling that the sailing public wasn’t quite ready for an ungainly pilothouse motorsailer, San Pedro contracted Ted Carpentier to redesign the deck tooling to enhance the lines and curb production costs. Thus was born the Acapulco 40. Aft cockpited and prettier, San Pedro sold a few of both models, mostly as hull or hull and deck kits before ceasing production completely. As an endnote to the San Pedro Boatworks run, owner John Leeper used the last two molded hulls to construct his famous “RV Beta” catamaran by adding a bridge deck and steel framework to create a workboat for use in his later treasure hunting days. According to Bernard Reller, a crewman aboard the Beta during the early 70s, the boat had twin Osco 120 diesels, living quarters, a machine shop, and a large winch which was designed to raise and launch a small manned submarine between Beta’s hulls. Leeper, a former Pan Am airline pilot and adventurer hunted treasure throughout the Caribbean. He was involved in the famous Atocha De la Senora salvage operation and was friends with salvor Mel Fisher. The RV Beta was lost off Nassau in the Bahamas after scraping a reef around 1999.

After the canceling of Anacapa / Acapulco construction, the molds for the hull and both decks were stored in Islander Yachts Inc. yard in Irvine, California. Mr. Gary Powell, a dealer for Islander Yachts kit boat division “Yachtcraft” who usually sold hulls and decks from discontinued models, came across the plans for the Anacapa / Acapulco while visiting the yard one day. As soon as he spread them out he knew he wanted one, and asked the owners to lay up a hull and deck for him. They explained that the molds and designs weren’t theirs to sell. Powell offered to write a check right there and then, and three weeks later he had a hull and deck at his yard, ready to start construction. Powell lovingly crafted this boat, named Oriana, which was an Acapulco version with an aft cockpit and a cutter rig. Kit boat customers who visited the yard often fell in love with the Acapulco’s lines and inquired about its availability. Knowing a good thing when he saw one, Powell approached Islander about buying the molds and was informed that the Challenger Yacht Corporation had recently purchased them. They were looking to fill a void in their lineup, and planned on constructing the Anacapa center cockpit pilothouse version. The year was 1973 and Challenger marketed the boat as the Anacapa 42 (the extra two feet came from the newly added stainless bowsprit which moved the center of effort forward and helped alleviate reported weather helm).

Challenger owner Howard D. Stern introduced the boat at a base price of $43950 plus “options”. Options such as wheel steering ($3500) quickly brought up the price, and none of Challenger’s twelve? Anacapa 42s left the Terminal Island, California factory for under $80000. Currently (2008), the boats known to still exist are Charisma (formerly Trishen) ,a ketch in New Jersey, Bearhunter , a ketch in Alaska, and Kia Orana and ? ,two sloops in California. After a short production run between 1973 and ’75, Challenger found the boats simply too expensive to manufacture and make a profit, discontinuing the model in 1975.

In 1976 Gary Powell approached owner Howard D. Stern with an offer to buy the tooling for hull and decks. Stern was aptly named, and I cannot find anyone save his daughter who had anything positive to say about him. A former head of sales at Westsail, and a lawyer, Stern refused Powell’s offer. Powell didn’t give in easily though, and returned several weeks later after letting Stern stew with a slightly higher offer. A deal was struck, and Powell was the proud owner of some very well made molds. Forming Acapulco Yachts, Powell had no interest in building the center cockpit Anacapa version, and had that deck mold destroyed. He concentrated on the aft cockpit cutter, shipping a total of 30 high quality hull and deck packages which were sold to home builders. All of the boats built by Gary Powell’s Acapulco Yacht Co. had the stainless bowsprit and hand laid one piece hulls. Powell’s last boat, the Maluhia was completed and kept as his personal yacht.

Gary longed to go cruising, and a deal was struck with his business partner at the time; Powell would go cruising for a year aboard Maluhia, then return to allow his partner to cruise. Powell moved aboard and crossed the Pacific to Hawaii, cruising among the islands, but returned when his year was up to find his Acapulco Yacht Co. run aground by his inept partner. Powell was forced to close up shop, and both hull and deck molds were destroyed, bringing to a close the last chapter in the Anacapa / Acapulco story. As an end note, Gary Powell’s first yacht, Oriana, was purchased and circumnavigated by owners Ed Atkins and Bernie Houston, with the tale recounted in their wonderful book “One wave at a time”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kia_Orana_Angel_Island.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	5739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull # 1 under construction.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	5741  

Name:	Brochure.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	5742   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Beta.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	5743  

Name:	RV Beta 2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	5744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alcapulco 40.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	5745  

Name:	Acapulco Yachts Hull # 1 under construction 001.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearhunter 10.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5747  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Charisma.bmp (351.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01   #35

Great posts Chris. Thank you.
Old 28-11-2008, 14:01   #36

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42, S/V "The Bear Hunter"
New owner of an Anacapa 42

Thanks for the information on the Anacapa 42. I just purchased one of the three known to still be around. She is the S/V "The Bear Hunter". Currently being repowered in Juneau, Alaska. I am new to sailing, but have been on the water with a salmon troller in SE Alaska for years. The original manual came with the boat and handwritten on the cover is "42 #9". How many were built?

Ken
keneatingsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 14:47   #37

HEY KEN!!! This is truly great news! You and I have the only two KETCH Anacapas ever built by Challenger (as far as I know). I was told that there are 12 total from both companies that manufactured the pilothouse version. I know of 4 surviving boats. If you havent yet, look here at some cool pics and scans pertaining to our fine yachts: http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...0&userid=18733

Below find a pic of my boat before it's current refit. It should be VERY similar to your yacht. Ken, if at all possible, I REALLY need a few pictures of some technical details of your yacht...do you own a digital camera? I have a pretty indepth understanding of our boats systems and construction, a ton of pics, and will share all I know with you. Thanks, Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anacapa.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	6021  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 28-11-2008, 20:58   #38

Chris, I will be in touch with you as I refit many things. You seem to be overflowing with information on our two boats. The new engine is my priority now. I spent 7 weeks in Juneau away from work and my home living on the boat going through everything. We should be able to share many things about the Anacapa 42. Your boat looks VERY much the same as mine. I am away from her now, but when I get back I can begin to share pictures with you. I am having a re-power nightmare. Reason for seven weeks waiting to get on the water. On my first day on the water at 5.9 hours, the fuel injection pump quit. She is back at the dock receiving some warranty work and I returned to my job for some much needed funds to pour into the boat. Hopefully I can return to bring her home before Winter sets in. Tonight's marine forecast is a 30ft swell. First sign of Winter here in coastal Alaska.

I will try and get some pics on a gallery soon. I do have some pics of the boat on my web page for all who want to see her now. The web page is for my friends and family that do not have a clue about cruising and remote Alaska. The link is to the main page and there is an album page for "The Bear Hunter".
http://web.mac.com/keneatingsalmon/
Port_Armstrong_Hatchery/Welcome.html

I need to cruise around the forum and see what it is all about.

Ken
Old 29-11-2008, 07:28   #39

"Do you own a digital camera?" DUH! Not only does Ken own a digital camera, he has one of the nicest websites I've ever seen! YOU"VE GOT TO CHECK IT OUT!!!

Welcome

WOW! What a beautiful, beautiful place to live.

Old 17-12-2008, 23:43   #40

Boat: Challenger 35 Ketch Soft Parade
I am a challenger 35 ketch owner and am outfitting mine for a Pacific Circle cruise from So Cal down to Mexico, across to Hawaii, and back over the high to either Canada, AK, or northern US depending on the position of the Pacific high. To date, I have replaced all running and standing riggging, rebuilt and replaced the main mast step (original is mild steel, I had one made from stainless), added radar, autopilot, davits, dodger, etc. I have been all over every inch of the boat and am happy to answer any questions. In my opinion, having owned and actively sailed this boat for almost a decade, the Challenger sailboats are built heavy and are capable of more than the crew can handle. They may lack some of the fit & finish of more expensive boats, but bang-for-buck, can`t be beat.
Captain Dave
Diver Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 05:08   #41

Hi Capt. Dave! Glad to hear from ya. I agree whole heartedly with your opinion of our boats. Please join our "Challenger Lovers" social group on this forum when you can, and POST PICTURES here and on your personal gallery. We look forward to sharing with you, Chris

Old 18-12-2008, 23:46   #42

Capt. Dave and Chris,
I'll be in touch for the fix-it questions I am going to have. I am still without my boat. Warranty work for the new engine is still going on. A new toy and I can't even play with it. I may have to get back to Juneau for a visit, just to let her know I care about her.
Ken
Old 18-05-2009, 08:26   #43

Boat: 32' Challenger - Feelin' Nauti
I am thinking of buying a 32' Challenger, but I am not familiar with these vessels. I did own a Seafarer 34 and cruised her mostly in coastal areas. Sold her and bought a home, I miss sailing and I found a cupcake of a Challenger, any info would be great feel free to contact me at my email address. "The Drunken Bastards Club" sounds great...let me know how that progresses.
Thanks! :-}
Captjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 11:51   #44

Challenger club...

There is a challenger owners forum here... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers+group.html

Several members have or have owned Challengers...Check it out!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:31   #45

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Challenger 32

Are you still looking for the Challenger 32 manual??
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote