Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05   #16
Kai Nui

Chrisian, great posts, thank you. Please continue to add what you can. You have compiled an amazing amount of info so far.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:57   #17

Fantastic. Please keep it up.
Old 07-12-2008, 21:03   #18

i've got an acapulco 40 and would dearly love to find out more about it. the previous owner knew almost nothing about it and i know only a little more than him. if anyone can help (christian van h?) i'd really appreciate it. all the info i can find on the net seems very inconsistent and VERY sparse.
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 21:31   #19

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi All! Just a quick note. Anyone who stumbles upon this thread, we now have a Challenger Lovers Social group you can join in the "Social Groups" section. Challenger and Acapulco owners and lovers please join! Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58   #20

Thank you for the fabulous article. Garry Powell is my father (two r's), and I was in 6th grade when he built Oriana, which we lived on in San Diego at Harbor Island. Ed and Bernie bought it from us and gave it a wonderful history. Later dad built a beautiful Acapulco, Maluhia, which we sailed to Hawaii. The Acapulco's were the most wonderful seaworthy cruisers we could have ever wanted.

Dad now lives in Portland, and as builder and proprietor of Acapulco Yachts in the 1970's, of course is very knowledgeable if anyone would like to speak to him.

Thank you for your accurate, very nice story.

Lori Winter, Sonoma, CA
loriwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriwinter View Post
Thank you for the fabulous article. Garry Powell is my father (two r's), and I was in 6th grade when he built Oriana, which we lived on in San Diego at Harbor Island. Dad now lives in Portland, and as builder and proprietor of Acapulco Yachts in the 1970's, of course is very knowledgeable if anyone would like to speak to him.
Hi Lori! This kind of makes you royalty around here! I found Garry on the 'net about a year ago, and interviewed him as well as I could. Your dad is a REALLY great guy. I had been collecting info on my boat for quite a while (an Anacapa), and he was able to fill in a bunch of missing pieces. I put DelMag intouch with him a month ago, and he came away with the same impression. It must be cool to speak with the original builder of your boat...I cant 'cause mine has passed on, and I hear he wasnt quite as nice... Good to find ya here Lori! Chris

Old 16-05-2009, 11:53   #22

Challenger 32

chubb 44850 said:

"I am new to this forum but I was wondering if anyone has a comment on the Challenger 32. I am looking at one that was built in 1974. I am an old 'powerboater' but my son, an avid sailor, has convinced me that 'we' should buy a sailboat. We are going for a test sail tomorrow. Is there anything negative that we should look for and is there anything that is a definite 'walk away from' problem? I would appreciate any of your thoughts."

Chubb

Hey Chubb! We have a special forum here for Challenger lovers. I have sent you an invite. I have posted the original ads for the 32, and there are several past and present owners here. Most have very positive things to say about their Challengers. I can only advise on the 42 myself... but check with the other members of the Challenger forum. Hope this helps, Chris

PS; I just noticed you are an old power boater. I take it all back.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:12   #23

Boat: 32' Challenger - Feelin' Nauti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
Roll Call - Anybody else out htere with a Challenger Yacht? I know there are at least a 1/2 doz whom I have talked to. 32's, 35's, Anacapas. Are you out there.
I bought a 32' Challanger 1974 for my husband's birthday last week. We are cleaning her up, but she is great. We used to cruise on a 34' Seafarer (lived aboard for 14 years) but we really love the Challanger and can't wait to she what she is made of. We are doing some refits so we can cruise her in September. Her name is "Feelin' Nauti"

She is a study old girl..love her!
Captjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 19:06   #24

Boat: challenger 32 '
I have a 32 with a chrysler-nissan diesel 48 hp ,110 gallons fuel 85 water. She,s bullit proof.
Dollydagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 17:29   #25

What about the Challenger 35? I've seen a beautiful maintained one. Is she capable for ocean cruising and where are the cons?
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 07:14   #26

Does anyone know anything about the 1964 Anacapa 40'? Any information about this boat is appreciated or guidance of where to look.

Thanks!
Drifter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:34   #27

Hey Drifter! First, read my post on this thread (#15). Secondly, if you've found an Anacapa 40, could you PLEASE send me pics? I own Challenger Yachts Anacapa 42 hull #1. I think the length difference is just the bowsprit. The San Pedro boats built at the factory were well built, the owner completed hulls are all across the range...Does this boat have a name? I have a little info on a couple of the boats... Thanks, Chris

Old 29-07-2009, 05:48   #28

Chris,

It's name is Viajera. I am looking at purchasing it, but I don't know much about it. The boat needs some work, though. Do you know anything about the sailing qualities of this boat? How do they handle rough seas and also small marinas?

Thanks,
Nick
Drifter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 20:49   #29

Boat: Challenger 32
Just bought a 32 in Puget Soundp

I'll be checking often for tips
Gordon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:20   #30

Hello Challenger lovers and owners! I have a new website up that features Anacapa 40 / 42s. Check it out and feel free to join here: Anacapa Pilothouse Motorsailers - Home