Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 16:59   #196

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Changing upper bound of boat size considered suitable for couples

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
...Because newer boats tend to be lighter than older boats it would be interesting to consider the origional questiondifferently; is the upper bound of TONAGE increasing? Maybe tonage is staying the same but folks are getting more interior volume out of that same tonage.
Hmmm, interesting perspective Howard. You might have something here. Anyone want to try that analysis?

As a simple anecdotal example, my 1977 boat is 15 tons and 36’ 9". Interior, cockpit, and living space is smaller compared to a modern 37-footer (although storage and tankage space is larger).

I have a friend in the same yard with a much newer (likely less than 10 years old) 40-footer. She too is 15 tons, but has way more cabin/cockpit space than us.
Old 11-01-2019, 17:04   #197

Boat: Freedom 38

You guys are funny arguing "how big is your hole in the water."

I'll just leave it at that
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 17:42   #198
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You are really trying to stretch here.
Maintaining a 60 ft yacht is gonna cost more than a 40 ft by a long shot. They have a bigger dinghy, larger motors, more electronics, more expensive running rigging, more expensive standing rigging, more expensive anchoring gear, more canvas, large battery banks, the list goes on forever.
Sorry to disappoint, but all the items mentioned in my previous post cost the same. The only difference is the initial cost of the larger items which if properly cared for, won’t need replacement for at least another ten years.

BTW: I didn’t pay the high original price of the big ticket items.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 18:36   #199

Boat: Volkscruiser

The end of the day it all comes back to the fact you should buy the boat you can afford.
Your statement Kenomac that the said item will not need replacing for at least 10 years drives me nuts as a surveyor.The issue is at the end of 10 years you have all these big ticket items to replace and your boat looks run down.
I survey so many boats where the boat is like a time capsule as the owner cannot afford to keep upgrading the boat while they own it. "But don't worry these items are still good for years even if my orange vinyl upholstery and Decca navigation are a bit dated."

For me owning a boat is about a slow trickle of money constantly upgrading her so she is in the best shape I can maintain.
Gamayun you can have just as much fun with a small hole in the water, in fact more fun I would say.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 18:51   #200
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Over here slip fees and winter storage fees are commonly based on area
Really? area of what? how is it calculated?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 18:54   #201
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I certainly would not usually give a hoot about appearances. Safety, reliability & functionality are hard enough to stay on top of.

25-30' is plenty, **for me** less is more, no desire for home level mod cons or comfort.

No judgments on others' choices either, do what you like with your money.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 19:12   #202
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
The end of the day it all comes back to the fact you should buy the boat you can afford.
Your statement Kenomac that the said item will not need replacing for at least 10 years drives me nuts as a surveyor.The issue is at the end of 10 years you have all these big ticket items to replace and your boat looks run down.
I survey so many boats where the boat is like a time capsule as the owner cannot afford to keep upgrading the boat while they own it. "But don't worry these items are still good for years even if my orange vinyl upholstery and Decca navigation are a bit dated."

For me owning a boat is about a slow trickle of money constantly upgrading her so she is in the best shape I can maintain.
Gamayun you can have just as much fun with a small hole in the water, in fact more fun I would say.

Cheers
Do you honestly think I’ll need to replace the big ticket items like the engine, generator, hydraulic system, Spectra watermaker, refrigerator box and sails all at once at the ten year point?
Old 11-01-2019, 19:56   #203

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but all the items mentioned in my previous post cost the same. The only difference is the initial cost of the larger items which if properly cared for, won’t need replacement for at least another ten years.

BTW: I didn’t pay the high original price of the big ticket items.
So a dinghy that costs more to buy because its bigger and has a larger engine doesn't count because it lasts 10 years? At least try and be reasonable with your arguments. Are you denying that the items in the list I gave cost more? Tell me how 100ft of high tech halyard costs the same as 150ft of larger high tech halyard? Tell me that most large boats don't have more electronics than smaller boats. Larger boats are more expensive to maintain. If you want to keep a $100k 40ft boat in top sellable shape while cruising it will cost a lot less than keeping $750k 65ft boat in top sellable condition.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 21:20   #204

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Wow so instead of my 27 footer I could have a 60 footer for the same money?
And I can buy sails fo a 60 footer for about the same as for my existing boat? Who would have thought.
Old 11-01-2019, 21:40   #205

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sorry Kenomac my point was that these items may last 10 years but they will need to be replaced at some point. Thats where the expense of owning a bigger yacht seems to hurt......but judging by your replies you seem to have access to a marine supplier who gives you incredible deals on everything you need. You might want to post his details here so the rest of us can move up to a bigger yacht?

A real example of what I mean is that for me to survey your 62 foot yacht would be $1240 but a 40 foot yacht is only $800. Here in Australia the insurance companys like a new survey every 5 years so thats an extra $88 a year for owning a 62 foot yacht?

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 21:55   #206

Boat: Westerly Sealord

On any boat - regardless of size - once you pass the 10 year or 12 year or 14 year point more and more stuff will need replacing.... rig, sails, pumps,upholstery, ... the list goes on...

If you are lucky it will happen at a well spaced sort of a rate... if you are unlucky or have defered for too long you will end up - regardless of size - having a very expensive year or two..... and the bigger the boat the higher the cost....

Has anyone mentioned re-engining yet? Diff between a new engine for a 40 footer and one for a 60 footer isn't just loose change...

I've seen 'big' boats well managed by a crew of two, I've seen 'big' boats where the crew of two is seriously overboated....
Old 11-01-2019, 22:27   #207

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Changing upper bound of boat size considered suitable for couples

Think of it this way... dollar for dollar you are getting a lot more boat these days than you did in the past. If we were to have to purchase our 38 foot cabo rico in today’s dollars, it would probably sell in the 400’s... but instead you can now buy a 51 foot Jeanneau Sun Odessey for the same amount. So it’s not that the upper acceptable size has gone up it’s that buyers recognize the value they are getting for their equivalent dollar. Plus, let’s face it... there are lots of available mortgage options....
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 22:30   #208
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So a dinghy that costs more to buy because its bigger and has a larger engine doesn't count because it lasts 10 years? At least try and be reasonable with your arguments. Are you denying that the items in the list I gave cost more? Tell me how 100ft of high tech halyard costs the same as 150ft of larger high tech halyard? Tell me that most large boats don't have more electronics than smaller boats. Larger boats are more expensive to maintain. If you want to keep a $100k 40ft boat in top sellable shape while cruising it will cost a lot less than keeping $750k 65ft boat in top sellable condition.
The current dinghy on our Oyster 62 cost $1300 complete with a 15hp Like new Mercury 2 stroke. The dinghy on our Hunter 450 cost $1700 with a new Tohatsu 6.5hp.

I just purchased a like new Mercury 40hp 2 stroke for the dinghy on the 62 for $1200 to upgrade the set up. I know many who spend more than that on tenders for much smaller boats including 40 footers.

Earlier today I purchased a KVH TracPhone V3ip sat internet dish and modem for $1800 complete with cables. If you check West Marine prices, the same set retails for $13,999.

I guess it pays to shop around... you should try it sometime.
Old 11-01-2019, 22:45   #209

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Has anyone mentioned re-engining yet? Diff between a new engine for a 40 footer and one for a 60 footer isn't just loose change...

Larger boats , i would think, tend to have better more robust engines fitted.
Our 1970s trawler had a new nta855m Cummins installed when she had her 2005 rebuild
It is not uncommon for continuously rated engines to go 35000 hours before rebuild.
Only 30,000 to go or enough for 8x around the planet.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 22:48   #210
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Sorry Kenomac my point was that these items may last 10 years but they will need to be replaced at some point. Thats where the expense of owning a bigger yacht seems to hurt......but judging by your replies you seem to have access to a marine supplier who gives you incredible deals on everything you need. You might want to post his details here so the rest of us can move up to a bigger yacht?

A real example of what I mean is that for me to survey your 62 foot yacht would be $1240 but a 40 foot yacht is only $800. Here in Australia the insurance companys like a new survey every 5 years so thats an extra $88 a year for owning a 62 foot yacht?

Cheers
Sorry again to disappoint but I paid $800 for the survey on the 62 from a very reputable surveyor in Rhode Island last April.

Who says I need to pay full retail? I found the same guy who had done a prior survey on the same boat who already had 50% of the work done sitting inside his computer.

Tags
boat, size