Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 07:56   #331

Boat: 2000 Hunter 340
Re: Changing upper bound of boat size considered suitable for couples

Nice 1st post! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
When my husband and I began researching boats back in 2012 we made a long list of safety and comfort features, then we set out to find OUR perfect boat. In 2015 we departed WA state in our Tayana 55 and never looked back. Over the next three years we sailed her the entire length of the Pacific coast from WA to Panama, anchoring all along the coast of Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. We passed through the Panama canal, hung out in the San Blas islands (heaven on earth) for months, sailed on to Colombia, and worked out way back northwards.

Never once have we regretted our decision to buy our Tayana 55. In fact, of all the boats we encountered along our journey, the only one we liked as much as ours was another Tayana 55. I'm in my 50's and my husband just turned 65. We are both fit, but honestly our boat is much easier to handle than most smaller boats because of the electric winches, bow thruster, etc. She is a joy to sail and is strong, safe, sturdy and comfortable...think 16' beam, center-line queen bed in aft cabin, a walk in engine room where two people can work side by side (yes, seriously), two lazarettes to store everything from spare sails to dive tanks, and equipment you could not have on a smaller boat due to weight and space...three freezers/fridge, reverse cycle AC throughout, ice maker, water maker etc. Its our home and it is as comfortable as one, which has made our journey all the more enjoyable. It has also enabled us to remain at anchor longer and go to more remote locations because we could carry more fuel and supplies and make as much water as we could ever want. The swing keel even allowed us to anchor in shallow water alongside our buddies in smaller boats. We have endured gales, safely heaving-to 100 miles offshore, managed to travel for months on end without ever visiting a marina, live in comfort and entertain our friends, even provide our friends in smaller boats with drinking water at times when they ran out since we have a very capable water maker.

The point is, you can live like you are backpacking, or live like you are camping, or live like you are in your home...everyone has different levels of comfort and it's all ok. We just chose to live with the comforts of home and have been very glad of that choice. Just remember that length is not everything! We have seen boats in the 50 ft range that were being delivered and we doubted they would even survive the journey because they were lightweight coastal boats of thin build. Not to name any names or insult anyone's boat, but some have all pretty finishes and no sturdiness. Not so with Tayanas, they have beauty and brawn to match. So if you do plan to really travel on the ocean, you want a boat that will withstand the rigors of the journey... a solid, sturdy, well equipped boat like a Tayana. I can't say enough good things about owning one of them.
windlass79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:16   #332

Thanks! Been reading these forums for years but just felt like posting for a change.
Verdandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:40   #333
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Young people today have more expendible income than past generations by far
As an overall generalization, outside of the upper x%, completely false.

Only those inheriting, whose parents can afford to support them through early adulthood, lots more money, but shrinking numbers.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:43   #334

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

[QUOTE=Verdandi;2802947]We have seen boats in the 50 ft range that were being delivered and we doubted they would even survive the journey because they were lightweight coastal boats of thin build. QUOTE]

Could you provide the builder's name of a current 50 footer that you are doubtful could not make an offshore voyage without breaking up? I have not read or heard any evidence suggesting that this should be a concern, although it seems to be regularly suggested by people sailing expensive boat brands.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:57   #335

Boat: 2000 Hunter 340

If I had a Tayana 55, I'll bet the production boats would look flimsy to me too.

[QUOTE=zippy;2803123]
Quote:
We have seen boats in the 50 ft range that were being delivered and we doubted they would even survive the journey because they were lightweight coastal boats of thin build. QUOTE]

Could you provide the builder's name of a current 50 footer that you are doubtful could not make an offshore voyage without breaking up? I have not read or heard any evidence suggesting that this should be a concern, although it seems to be regularly suggested by people sailing expensive boat brands.
windlass79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:51   #336

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Our hull is 3/16” steel, our keel 1/4”. EVERYTHING looks flimsy to me! LOL.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 21:40   #337

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Nice passage Verdandi. I also looked at a Tanya 55 here in Hawaii but bought in the Med instead because of a better selection. I'm sure the Tanya is quite comfortable as weight is equal to comfort. We ended up buying a 49' boat 8 yrs old, half the weight, half the cost of the Tanya. While we are also happy with our choice, I know from experience, bigger and heavier is more comfortable.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:44   #338

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Nice passage Verdandi. I also looked at a Tanya 55 here in Hawaii but bought in the Med instead because of a better selection. I'm sure the Tanya is quite comfortable as weight is equal to comfort. We ended up buying a 49' boat 8 yrs old, half the weight, half the cost of the Tanya. While we are also happy with our choice, I know from experience, bigger and heavier is more comfortable.
As we all know, every boat is a compromise - at least one... Personally, I would have done the same decision you made (but not a single foot longer, as my docking fees would jump by 50% on the total... ) - based on my sailing, cruising, social and lifestyle preferences. But as we also know most sailors are totally in love in their own boat - until they buy their next ‘ideal’ boat...

It is always better and way more interesting (for me!) to learn from other sailors experiences and from out-of-the box thinking, even after owning sailing/racing boats as of the age of 11 on anything from sunfish, lasers, 420, FD, 470 and then keelboats all the way to 47’ and back to 40’ (current racer) and 44CC. cruiser. - every day new things to learn and think of and CHANGE!
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 03:58   #339

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Half the boat, half the weight. Same cost per ton.

Just saying.
Old 16-01-2019, 04:22   #340

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Just saying.
Tell that to the racers where half the weight is triple the cost.
Not just saying.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:43   #341

Great post and spot on. Cracking boat too.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
When my husband and I began researching boats back in 2012 we made a long list of safety and comfort features, then we set out to find OUR perfect boat. In 2015 we departed WA state in our Tayana 55 and never looked back. Over the next three years we sailed her the entire length of the Pacific coast from WA to Panama, anchoring all along the coast of Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. We passed through the Panama canal, hung out in the San Blas islands (heaven on earth) for months, sailed on to Colombia, and worked out way back northwards.

Never once have we regretted our decision to buy our Tayana 55. In fact, of all the boats we encountered along our journey, the only one we liked as much as ours was another Tayana 55. I'm in my 50's and my husband just turned 65. We are both fit, but honestly our boat is much easier to handle than most smaller boats because of the electric winches, bow thruster, etc. She is a joy to sail and is strong, safe, sturdy and comfortable...think 16' beam, center-line queen bed in aft cabin, a walk in engine room where two people can work side by side (yes, seriously), two lazarettes to store everything from spare sails to dive tanks, and equipment you could not have on a smaller boat due to weight and space...three freezers/fridge, reverse cycle AC throughout, ice maker, water maker etc. Its our home and it is as comfortable as one, which has made our journey all the more enjoyable. It has also enabled us to remain at anchor longer and go to more remote locations because we could carry more fuel and supplies and make as much water as we could ever want. The swing keel even allowed us to anchor in shallow water alongside our buddies in smaller boats. We have endured gales, safely heaving-to 100 miles offshore, managed to travel for months on end without ever visiting a marina, live in comfort and entertain our friends, even provide our friends in smaller boats with drinking water at times when they ran out since we have a very capable water maker.

The point is, you can live like you are backpacking, or live like you are camping, or live like you are in your home...everyone has different levels of comfort and it's all ok. We just chose to live with the comforts of home and have been very glad of that choice. Just remember that length is not everything! We have seen boats in the 50 ft range that were being delivered and we doubted they would even survive the journey because they were lightweight coastal boats of thin build. Not to name any names or insult anyone's boat, but some have all pretty finishes and no sturdiness. Not so with Tayanas, they have beauty and brawn to match. So if you do plan to really travel on the ocean, you want a boat that will withstand the rigors of the journey... a solid, sturdy, well equipped boat like a Tayana. I can't say enough good things about owning one of them.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:56   #342

Quote:

Just saying.
As if the double weight doubles the fun... I don’t think so...
And half the $$$ depreciation over time!
They got exactly what worked best for THEIR preferences (which, in this case would definitely be mine as well...)

But talk is cheap, eh?
Old 16-01-2019, 05:49   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Tell that to the racers where half the weight is triple the cost.
Not just saying.
But this thread is about Cruisers.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:05   #344

Quote:
But this thread is about Cruisers.
Haha but my Farr can cruise. Only need 8-13 crew on board and a new sail set of 70% reduced sail area...

But seriously... modern materials, structures and designs offer us excellent safety even with medium displacement vessels - the Beneteau 49DS isn’t a dinghy... The boat is seriously well built for cruising. Agree that in severe conditions she will pound more etc. but overall the comfort level at most situations will be by far more convenient for the couple and guests. And again - for THEIR preferences.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:00   #345

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Interesting thread.

We caught up with it while driving back from looking to buy a cruising boat in Maine. At 68, we are spry but past our prime. Our call is for a sloop 35-38 feet with shallow draft for gunk-hole cruising. We want to have less on board, not more!

As a charter captain/cruising instructor I see and sail plenty of modern full-service yachts. They are nice, just not for us. See reference to less-not more.

The big sister to our Aphrodite 101 is a Bianca 111. Too bad about that 2 meter draft...

Off topic: If you want to sell your boat, present it as clean and well care for. Present the yacht for sale in a loving manner.

Norm
Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, size