Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 15:23   #1

Chatam Extrem DI 47

Does anyone know the story or details of a Chatam Extrem DI 47?

For some reason I can't seem to find any good info on the Chatam Extrem DI series of boats. I suspect French? The one I'm interested in is steel. It has a pivoting center board I think, but I can't find any details. It appears to have two rudders....but can't find any internet details of the design or operation. I don't know what "DI" means or what "Extrem" means other than extreme.....what attributes make it Extrem? Someone must know.
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 11:57   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Chatam Extrem DI 47

Maybe these will help. Designed by Gilbert Caroff. Not sure about the "Extrem" but the DI = DERIVEUR INTEGRAL, my French makes some sense of that, but not within the details of naval architecture.

chatam_43_47_52_60.pdf

chatam_47.pdf

Quote:
1977 : notre premier Dériveur Intégral !

Notre 1er DERIVEUR INTEGRAL date de 1977, avant même le Vagabond au pied duquel pose Maurice Duflos, lors de son exposition devant la Tour Eiffel, et qui date de 1979.C'est une disposition très SURE en haute mer par très mauvais temps. Tous nos DI sont auto redressants en cas de chavirage. La probabilité de chavirer un DI dérive relevée est extrêmement faible . Une expérience : essayez de virer contre le vent, dérive relevée ...
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 05:58   #3

Thanks, that help some. I think the deriveur integal means it has a dinghy and davits. I'm still not sure what the extrem part of the name means. It appears from the brochure you found that there are a few configurations. Interesting. Has anyone sailed one of these boats?
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:03   #4

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Caroff used to have a website with more information, but I can no longer find it. I had been interested in some of his boats a couple years ago. The Chatam Extreme is one of his designs. Another design I've seen a few of is the Atlantis. There is at least one Chatam Extreme 50 and a couple Atlantis 430's that I've seen listed and sold over the last couple years. Here are all the Caroff boats that I could find on Yachtworld. They all seem to be custom builds, I suspect that people buy the plans and hire a builder or diy. So if you're looking at buying one, I would try to get as much info as possible on the builder and build process. The hull/deck/rig designs seem good, nothing really experimental or ground breaking. The interior designs tend to be pretty quirky, since they're all mostly custom.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...oleil-3565124/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...os-43-3503479/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...s-400-3740046/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...uiser-3077418/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...reme--3688465/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ko-47-3801235/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...xtrem-3796913/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...am-60-3215232/
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:11   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Chatam Extrem DI 47

I believe dériveur intégral means a boat with a centerboard and internal ballast. As opposed to centerboard and no ballast or keel centerboard.

If anyone knows better please correct me.

Caroff had some very interesting designs, built in steel and on aluminum.

If you search for Caroff on yacht world you will see boats scattered around the globe.

His website is no longer there but the wayback machine has archives.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190402...ure-naval.com/
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 14:33   #6

Boat: Atkins,Island Princess. 37ft

Regrettably Gilbert Caroff passed away a couple of years ago. I have built 2 of his designs, the most notable being Northabout, in which I circumnavigated the polar arctic. Caroff produced many designs for polar sailing. All are centreboard designs, with internal ballast in floor compartments. Some have twin rudders which are not recommended for sailing in the ice. All are very practical designs.
Maclir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:11   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

THREAD DRIFT ALERT!
Maclir I just saw your profile. When I was a kid my dad used to charter his friends Korean built Island Princess, Sea Dragon, aka Hae Yong. We sailed in New England. I believe the boat is in Maine.
That’s where I learned to cruise, navigate, and sail. We used to call the forestaysail “bad boy” because it would hard slam side to side in certain conditions.
We once hit about 7 knots in a big puff, ie 50 knots, on a very breezy day, with just the main and flying jib in fairly big seas.
That boat is why I now own an older ketch.
Here is Hae Yong in 1971.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides-1971-017,01-01-7008-03-17.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	237221

Back to the thread, at the time I was looking for my now present boat, I spent time looking at Caroff boats. There was a Caroff schooner located in the Îles-de-la-madeleines that looked great, but was not quite right for my needs.
I’m not sure where she ended up but quite the boat.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:09   #8

Boat: Junk rigged composite Atkin Tern, 30 feet

I believe that a "deriveur" is a centerboard.
Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 23:37   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

That is correct :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hene View Post
I believe that a "deriveur" is a centerboard.
Old 25-04-2021, 12:44   #10

Boat: Chatam 50

I do know a bit about these boats, having owned an aluminum version of the Chatham 47, which is actually just over 50' long since 2010. Good boats, definitely a centreboard with internal ballast. They sail well although not as tight to the wind as a deep fixed keel boat, are strong and able. The interior arrangement of mine is probably one of the best designs I've seen for life aboard as the salon is raised and there is an all-round view from below. There were a number of them built in Montreal by the same outfit around 2000 and this is one of those. The level of craftsmanship, both on the hull and superstructure, the electrical and plumbing systems and the interior finish is all excellent. A minimum of 3" of insulation keeps them cool in the summer and dry and warm in the winter months. The solid wood finishes are easy to maintain and will last decades. She carries her beam well aft giving lots of room for equipment and accommodation.

I'd recommend them, but a finely fitted (and kept) one in aluminum is not cheap and they hold their value well. While mine is well built, I'm sure there are all sorts of varying levels of craftsmanship depending on the skills of the builder as in any boats built by small companies and individuals. If you want any more information, feel free to pm me. Good luck.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 11:11   #11

Leee, or anyone following this thread.
Can you tell me anything about this boat? Where it was built, who built it, etc.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/201...treme-7496421/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
I do know a bit about these boats, having owned an aluminum version of the Chatham 47, which is actually just over 50' long since 2010. Good boats, definitely a centreboard with internal ballast. They sail well although not as tight to the wind as a deep fixed keel boat, are strong and able. The interior arrangement of mine is probably one of the best designs I've seen for life aboard as the salon is raised and there is an all-round view from below. There were a number of them built in Montreal by the same outfit around 2000 and this is one of those. The level of craftsmanship, both on the hull and superstructure, the electrical and plumbing systems and the interior finish is all excellent. A minimum of 3" of insulation keeps them cool in the summer and dry and warm in the winter months. The solid wood finishes are easy to maintain and will last decades. She carries her beam well aft giving lots of room for equipment and accommodation.

I'd recommend them, but a finely fitted (and kept) one in aluminum is not cheap and they hold their value well. While mine is well built, I'm sure there are all sorts of varying levels of craftsmanship depending on the skills of the builder as in any boats built by small companies and individuals. If you want any more information, feel free to pm me. Good luck.
jturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 10:44   #12

Hi I had one until about 2004 called White Cloud on Saltspring Island B.C. Canada. It was a great boat built in Ile aux noix Quebec and he built I think at least 3. As said it didn't sail upwind particularly well but was a fantastic boat for cruising the west coast of B.C. I sold it to a fellow who trucked it to Washington D.C. and he sold it about 2006.
I've had a Catana 472 cat, a Beneteau 473, a Tony Grainger 47ft composite cat since and at 75 am wishing I still had White Cloud. We sailed in the Vic Mauii in 2004. There is only Shelter Island 15nm up the Fraser river that can handle a 25ft beam and I want a boat I can haul closer to home and keep in a sailing club. White Cloud was in the Med and replaced the centerboard, but I have lost contact with the present owner and would like to catch up. Regards,
Derek
betsyderek is offline   Reply With Quote