Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 14:28   #16

Re: Check out my custom boat

Whats the verdict on union 36?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...670079948.html

Anymore potential buys for blue water vessels in my budget?

Thanks again.
Thebonecollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

A Union 36 vs. a Valiant 40 is not a fair fight.

All other things equal, and all pox cured ;-))))), I would grind one year longer ... and then buy the Valiant. Why settle on substitutes if you can enjoy THE REAL THING?

The point with Valiants is the designer wanted something modern, did not know what modern was (he did not speak French) and so we ended up with one the the best cruising boats ever.

God bless America, much as I am not religious and frankly dislike some presidents, where would we be today without gps and Valiants???

If you can afford a Valiant, if you are into this style, you are getting one.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 21:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

All other things equal, and all pox cured ;-))))), I would grind one year longer ... and then buy the Valiant. Why settle on substitutes if you can enjoy THE REAL THING?

The point with Valiants is the designer wanted something modern, did not know what modern was (he did not speak French) and so we ended up with one the the best cruising boats ever.

God bless America, much as I am not religious and frankly dislike some presidents, where would we be today without gps and Valiants???

Cheers,
b.
Well said, thank you. Why are union 36's cheaper than hans 33's? Why is there is an obsession with hans 33's? People seem to pay ridiculous prices for them. Union 36's are the same boat but are much less in price..

Why is that valiant so cheap? Whats wrong with it?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more modern not "all" blue water cruiser? To clarify further is there any suggestions of... lets say 90's era cruiser that isn't a true bluewater boat, but with a decent skipper can do blue water terrain. Meaning a little cheaper, a more modern interior design, that can handle roughish water, but not a traditional full blue water.
Old 07-09-2018, 00:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Cheers,
b.

You right beautiful boats even with the blisters.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	176922
Pieter Lanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:40   #20

What about Jeanneau Gin Fizz 37?? In my budget, readily available. Any options similar to this? Just wish I had an aft berth for the wife..
Old 08-09-2018, 23:10   #21

Alright guys I've found some real potential in a vessel that fits a lot of my needs. Can you guys give me some advice?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...a#.W5I0T5NKhsM
Old 08-09-2018, 23:24   #22

Here's another serious contender I'd like some opinions on

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197.../#.W5NA-5NKhsM

I know the 1978 Jeanneau Gin Fizz has a plastic fuel tank, but that's an easy fix to stainless or coated aluminum (if it's not impossible to reach).
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Why would you want to replace a plastic fuel tank?

I would much rather have plastic than a metal fuel tank for diesel. Ours is steel but when it needs replacing it will be with plastic.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:11   #24

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebonecollecto View Post
Alright guys I've found some real potential in a vessel that fits a lot of my needs. Can you guys give me some advice?

That’s a very nice boat! It’s clean, I would not even think twice about the plastic fuel tank. To me it’s preferable in a lot of installations to metallic tanks.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:14   #25

Boat: Valiant 40
Check out my custom boat

The Jeanneau looks interesting. Certainly well maintained from the looks of it. Love the solent rig. One thing that would give me pause is the traveler position. Could literally decapitate someone coming up from below during an accidental gybe lol.

The Fast Passage looks cramped and I’m mystified why you would want to gratuitously weigh down a boat with an acre of ceramic tile in the cabin. It’s everywhere. Weird.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:09   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The Fast Passage looks cramped and I’m mystified why you would want to gratuitously weigh down a boat with an acre of ceramic tile in the cabin. It’s everywhere. Weird.
You missed the kitchen knives, having those flying around in a gale will be interesting, sort of Russian Roulette entering the cabin Still at least you won't be cooking on board at sea as there is no gimballed cooker. Is this what you guys call a dock queen?

Pete
Old 09-09-2018, 23:05   #27

Welll shooot people, in my world.. The power vessel commericial santa barbara harbor world... Plastic tanks just don't fly for holding fuel.. But if you salty sailors say that's how it goes in the sailing world then it shall be. Better for me I don't have to fix it.

I REALLY like the jeanneu. Fits practically all my needs. There's a little aft thing behind the cock pit they call a "berth" that can sleep 3 but I'm not convinced. What I like most about it is the BEAM. Nice and beamy!

Hows the consensus? Go for it?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:14   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You may find that its the rules for commercial vessels with fuel tanks in or near to engine spaces that influence peoples choices. Certainly in the UK engine space fuel lines and exhaust hoses have to be rated in accordance with the small ships code of practice.

However, on a yacht, plastic is lighter, doesn't corrode and if its translucent you can see the volume and colour of the fuel in the tank at a glance.

I would have no hesitation in choosing the Jen over a US boat. After all the French don't do slow boats. Sailing isn't a pastime in France, it's a religion!

Just keep it light and upright because she will fly.

Pete
Old 10-09-2018, 03:32   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebonecollecto View Post

That's a pretty good looking boat for the price... I'm not seeing any obvious issues with it.. might ask the seller how current the pictures are.. looks well maintained for her age..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:01   #30

Here's another contender gents.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...a#.W5ecW5NKhsM

A lot more complicated.. a lot more blue water than the jen 37.

I hate salons on the starboard side. But it's cheap and certainly blue water with an aft cabin. The interior is lacking and it's a hell of a lot more work. Lots of sails on this bad boy.

One of the MAIN things I really love about

Is the step down on the stern. Not many boats in my budget ever have that, which are capable of blue water cruising. Could this boat be a cruiser? It's water storage is lacking and it's a sloop, but I keep coming back to it. The beam, the almost aft cabin (I could make it work ok..), the step down stern, the simplicity, the near sail ready. Lets be honest no boat is ready turn key to sail, but if the ad and comments are true it doesn't look far from it. I need help...

Tags
boat