Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 14:52   #1

Boat: Sea Hunt Triton 232
Chesapeake Bay Sailboat

I am in the market for a sailboat. I have only about 100 hours of sailing under my belt but I love it - I am hooked. I am looking for a used cruiser, well kept, shallow water keel, holds its value, and something 4-5 people can sleep on on weekends.

I'm told by a friend to go with 42 foot plus. I would appreciate any advice on a boat year and model

I like the looks of the jeaneau 42 DS and there are a couple on the market in the 1999-2008 year range and $100k-$200k range

Would appreciate any advice I can get
Kc3663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:53   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Chesapeake Bay Sailboat

Maybe this one is still for sale (CF member, at least at one time), but it's a 37 and not the shallowest draft. Probably good bones, though. Maybe needs works (?) but WAY less than the $$ range you mentioned.

Orbis Non Sufficit

-Chris
Old 27-08-2017, 06:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because readers of CF may see this threads title, looking for boat suggestions for shallow draft boats (particularly appreciated in some areas of the Chesapeake), here is an ongoing thread that illustrates many different boats with shallow draft, including many that can be purchased for less than $30k. While those may not be the boat types the OP of this thread wants, it may help others to identify boat models which are noteworthy.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-174548.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 14:39   #4

Sounds too big. An Alberg 30 sounds perfect for your plans :-) Plenty to pick from, cheap enough for all the upgrades and maintenance any boat needs and easy to single hand when no one is available to go out. Amazing Chesapeake support through the Alberg 30 Association and even weekly 1 class races if you are into that.

Good luck!

http://bluewaterboats.org/alberg-30/

http://www.alberg30.org/Assoc/

http://m.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bi...atching+Boats+
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:06   #5

Long as we’ve included old boats, I’ve become a big fan of the first model Morgan 30. Storage sucks in a huge way, but, in terms of sailing ability, draft, comfort, and cost, a M30 is probably one of the best boats for the Chesapeake Bay.

Not that I’m knocking the A30. Anything by Alberg is one of my favorite boats. The A30 has much better storage, but the shallower draft on the M30 is a good thing on the Bay. I carried 6’ of draft around the Bay for 20 years. She was unbeatable to windward and comforting in a blow, but I really enjoy the 3.5’ draft my M30 has with the board up.
keelbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:20   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc3663 View Post
I am in the market for a sailboat. I have only about 100 hours of sailing under my belt but I love it - I am hooked. I am looking for a used cruiser, well kept, shallow water keel, holds its value, and something 4-5 people can sleep on on weekends.

I'm told by a friend to go with 42 foot plus. I would appreciate any advice on a boat year and model

I like the looks of the jeaneau 42 DS and there are a couple on the market in the 1999-2008 year range and $100k-$200k range

Sailing with your wife?

Have you ever singlehanded a 42-foot boat? Docked in a breeze? Would it be fun to take out for a few hours, or would something smaller be more fun? Things to consider, since couples boats are often singlehanded. You won't always have crew.

Not sayin' you can't. Many have, I have. But it is a big jump.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:22   #7

OK, as a Chesapeake sailor, I think your parameters can be very well met without spending six figures, unless you would simply like to spend six figures. A 42-footer may be appropriate for a major voyage, it is total overkill for the Bay. Again, unless it's simply what you want.

Here is a fantastic boat, in excellent shape that would do you yeoman's service. It's a Sabre 30 MkIII and the seller is being very ambitious with his asking price.

1991 sabre 30 III sailboat for sale in Maryland

There are tons of really nice boats in the 30-foot range that will do what you want for a lot less than a hundred grand.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40   #8

Buy shallow draft!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50   #9

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and something 4-5 people can sleep on on weekends.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
What size boat does your friend have?

Many boats in the 30 to 36 foot range have separate cabins which would do for 4 people for weekends, the fifth could use the saloon. It's only weekends, right?

Friends of mine took their friends to Mexico on a Catalina 34. They all enjoyed a wonderful month together.

Had they tried that same trip in the PNW, maybe they'd want more room. But you're talking summer-spring-fall on the Chessie, right?

There are two schools of thought on this that recur over the years and the posts about this issue:

1. Buy the largest boat
2. Buy the smallest boat

Only YOU can make this call. But one needs to factor in the important issue of even with guests the skipper MAY essentially be singlehanding and larger boats require more effort 'cuz everything's bigger and heavier.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

If you are just looking for something to sail on the bay, anything from 25' up will work.

A 42' boat sounds a bit large just for cruising the bay especially as a first boat, but that's up to you of course.

30' - 35' may be just about right with a shallow draft keel........and the good news is up your way, this size boat will be very easy to find

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:43   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Save your money. Join the Chesapeake Boating Club (part of the J World Sailing School and the J Port complex) in Annapolis. They have a range of J boats and others that you can reserve to take out for the day or over a weekend. Membership is a few grand a year, less than the cost of slipping your boat pretty much anywhere near Annapolis. No maintenance, no depreciation, no tying your money up, no boat headaches.

You'll learn how to sail a bigger boat, get to explore the middle Chesapeake, etc. Do it for a year or two and see then if you still want to buy a boat. I have friends who are members and they friggin' love it.

Chesapeake Boating Club - Club Boating Done Right
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 17:59   #12

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Definitions of shallow draft vary. We have a 5.5' draft and cruised the Chesapeake last summer. We never felt like there were many places we wanted to get into but couldn't. We spent a fair amount of time gunk holing
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:29   #13

Boat: Mason 44

The Jeanneau DS is very fast boat. Nice . Plenty for 4 people and you can take it to the Caribbean later or round the world .
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 17:49   #14

Boat: Carver 356

I strongly suggest looking at either a Catalina 34 or 36. Not a lot of difference size wise, really only one foot, but totally different layouts. Plenty of room for 4 for the weekend. Either will sleep 7, but I don't suggest that. 5 will work.

Both are very popular, with strong owners' groups. With wing keels, about 4' draft.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 12:12   #15

Boat: B24

I agree with those who are recommending something in the mid-30 foot range… I sailed a 42 Irwin (centerboard) in the Potomac and Bay for a dozen years off and on, and even with two couples, and usually family pets, aboard -- it often felt larger than necessary… It was a nice boat, could carry plenty and was super-comfortable, but generally way more than we needed and for those times when it was just two of us, it felt like an ocean-liner; although I suppose a lighter displacement 40-footer might have felt somewhat different. Liked the shoal draft tho’ – we’d often sneak into some pretty shallow areas – and grounded her in the muck on purpose more than once.

Tags
boat, chesapeake bay, sail, sailboat